Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Gas Pains

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AVater, Mar 10, 2021.

1. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

On my pickup with an 8BA flathead with a single ‘94, I cannot get the engine to run. It will start with fuel put into the Carburetor but will not stay running. I rebuilt the fuel pump but once I had it apart, I could see nothing noticeable wrong. Thinking there could be a fuel line problem, I tried blowing into the gas filter backwards and hear bubbles in the tank. The rebuilt pump will pull gas out of a can when I rigged a temp line to go there. Truck ran well when parked mid January when I had it out for a run.

Any thoughts what I should do next?

Thank you in advance.

Photo added to show we’re not going anywhere fast!

D3DE9A60-E466-401E-B8BE-C38703FCF61C.jpeg

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fuel float or needle stuck blocking fuel from entering bowl...or bowl dry still

Does fuel squirt when you work the throttle?

Check your plugs...

stillrunners and AVater like this.
  3. Terry D

Terry D
    from NY

Does it run with the gas can hooked up to the fuel pump?If not problem has to be in the carb.I agree probably float stuck shut or passage blocked,unless you have a filter between the pump and carb,or filter in the inlet,blocked with sediment.

loudbang, Stogy and AVater like this.
  4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Thank you Stogy and Terry. No to the running from the gas can question and the fuel filter is in the line behind the fuel pump. Hard to see fuel spray from carb due to the fact that my head can’t get there well enough to see with the hood in the way.
    I think you guys are on to something re float stuck.
    Admit I’m spoiled as it had been running so well so long. Looks like I need to get into the carb or find a rebuilt.

loudbang and Stogy like this.

5. Like was said on the float or needle being stuck.....the gas we get no days just doesn't want to sit in a bowl too long.

AVater, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. rusty valley

rusty valley

unscrew the fuel line at the carb and blast it with air...see if that will blow the needle off the seat before dismembering everything

AVater, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a Hotrod thing...the Carb can fairly easily be removed leaving the carb base intact with associated linkage IF theres a bolt through the bowl area of the carb then remove with 2 other nuts and pop the top off to check the float, pump and numerous other details and reconnect...

I read a story here of racers or engine mechanic that popped the carbs off routinely while racing to set things right in jetting and numerous other things to get performance out of the 94...

With top access you can remove just the top as well as an option...of course some things need removal prior to top off...

I had one side running wet...and my plugs had failed...

New plugs...and some float adjustment and things were okay...and I got to adjust check and replace and enjoy a fairly big improvement...hope you find the bug of first fire up in the year...

One year I had fuel stream out on the windshield right after the first engine startup followed by a quick shutdown...it was a loose clamp...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    AVater likes this.
  8. 1940Willys

1940Willys

Can ya use a mirror and a flash light to see in the carb weather gas is squirting in? Takes many cranks to get gas back up into the carb after a long winters nap.

AVater and Stogy like this.
  9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is true fuel pump pressures and draw are aided by a running engine...

Is there fuel in tank...evaporates a little I'd bet...

AVater likes this.
  10. jaracer

jaracer

I would remove the fuel line at the carb, run a line into a container, and crank the engine. If you don't get a good fuel flow out of the line the problem is in the pump or the supply line. If you do get a good flow, the problem is in the carb.

carbking, Hnstray, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  11. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Stillrunners: Thank you! sure looks to be heading that way re float stuck
    rusty valley: Great idea. Thank you!
    Stogy: have a core here in the garage to play with. Great Idea!
    1940 Willys: Right after writing about difficulty seeing down the carb, I was thinking the same thing. Thank you!
    jaracer: Thank you for that idea. Will do and following the results, go with the flow.

Thank you all. As I said, the truck was running so well so long with that carb, never wanted to mess with it. I've not had to touch the carb during my ownership over the past 16 years. I walked away from it yesterday before I did something stupid. Thanks to your help, I should be able to get something going here.
    On to the Model A and lawn mowers etc. Looking like spring here and hope the same for you.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  12. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Happens every year with the dirt bike's, tap the carb with wood end of the hammer.... $

AVater likes this.
  13. carbking

carbking

What kind of carb are you using?

It is absolutely true that modern fuel is pretty much garbage, but: it is an excellent solvent.

If you can remove the air cleaner, and access the bowl vent on the carburetor, fill the carburetor bowl through the vent until it slightly runs over. Now, put the air cleaner back in place, and don't return for 24 hours!!

If either the fuel valve (conventional) or float is stuck, often sitting in modern fuel will free them. It probably will not work if you are using one of the two-ball fuel valves. Once they stick, pretty much stuck forever.

Jon.

Stogy, AVater and Truck64 like this.
  14. Pete, I know that you like to do your own work, but if all else fails send your carburetor to Charlie Schwendler, AKA Charlie NY on The Ford Barn 1-716-662 9159. Charlie is a friend of mine, and is the 94 carburetor guru.

Stogy and AVater like this.
  15. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Jon, it’s a 94 with the truck top for that style air cleaner.

Nick,

I was planning on reaching out to you. you about C.S.

In the meantime, I will play with the one on the truck pending shipping my core out.

Thank you guys! Just to let you know, the model A kicked right off today and working through some adjustments post having the Mitchell rebuilt and some work on the front end.

9E1EE52A-E13A-4EBD-B589-690FE0E07272.jpeg
    Probably driving the neighbors crazy.

Stogy and rusty valley like this.
  16. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

After much fiddling around here, the afore mentioned “Carlie NY” rebuilt a core I had on hand. The transplant was done and here we are on the road again after a few adjustments aided by the vacuum gauge.

9981A246-AB8D-42EF-98FB-F0D594E90776.jpeg

Stogy likes this.