Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Triple Deuce Rochester Carbs

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Forty-eighter, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Forty-eighter

Forty-eighter
    from Indy

Chevy small block, triple deuce Rochester carbs on Edelbrock manifold. I believe progresssive? linkage. Would appreciate any commentary on this setup, potential problems, pros, cons, tips, tunning, etc.

Thank you.

2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I think that it would be cheaper than three (3) of the "97" carbs. 4 bolt mounting vs. 3 bolt mounting, if that makes a difference.

3. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

I have run this setup with no issues. Rochesters are easy to tune, easy to rebuild. I always made sure
    that the two end carb throttles were completely closed first, before hooking up the linkage,
    then set the idle and needle valves on the middle carb, then adjusted the linkage last, making sure that the
    end carbs opened fully, and in synch with the middle carb. Pretty straightforward setups.

wraymen likes this.
  4. I like my set up a lot. Make sure the secondary carbs open and close all the way. If one of them doesn’t close all the way it’s like having a vacuum leak at idle. I ended up putting some play in the connecting rod and added a helper spring on the rear. Runs great with smooth consistent idle.

Bob Lowry likes this.

5. Dan Haines

Dan Haines

6. SPEC

SPEC

I've had them on my 32 for over 30 years and they work great.

7. Reds 29

Reds 29

I have been running 3 rochesters and they run great. Getting them to close completely was a concern, so I added a small spring to keep them closed, just as Wraymen said.

8. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Had them on my 65 GTO and worked fine....

XXL__ likes this.
  9. Graybeard4545

Graybeard4545
    from Maryland

I have a tri-power on 2 of my set ups and love them. I agree with Bob that they are easy to tune if you get all the carbs right from the start. I run a progressive linkage with the end carbs coming in at about 65% of the pedal so you have a useable range to drive on without the gas mileage being to bad.
    One set up I am using Charlie Price's secondary base plate that seal completely at idle. Nice parts and he has some good Youtube videos on assembly and tuning on tri-powers plus a great source for parts.

10. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some guys idle on all 3 others just the center. If all 3 get a UniSyn for setting them. My experience with 3-2’s is to use them occasionally or set the outer floats a little lower to keep the needle on the seat. Engine vibration can cause minor flooding. I would also make sure your fuel pressure in close to 4-5 and not any higher. I liked the 3 sets I had and would do it again.

11. jaracer

jaracer

Drove a 58 Impala with a 3X2 setup for about 8 years. The end carbs had no idle circuits. I made my own progressive linkage out of go-kart throttle linkage. You do want the end carbs to shut, but not quite all the way. If they shut completely, the throttle plates tend to stick in the bores. I set them up with the idle screws backed out all the way, get the plates completely shut and then run in the idle set screw until it barely opens the throttle plates. I mean just barely.

My link between the end carbs was a bit flimsy. Once in a while one of the carbs wouldn't go back to the idle setting causing a large vacuum leak and poor idle. My fix was to nail the throttle and then side step it. That usually got both end carbs closed again.

I never had a flooding problem from no use, but the gas in the end carbs did get stale if you didn't open them once in a while. The first time you opened the end carbs the engine didn't like the stale gas. I was young and that was rarely a problem.

High test 63 and Bob Lowry like this.
  12. de-fenders

de-fenders

Have a 3x2 Offy setup on my roadster for 15 years now with no issues, have a Fenton setup for my coupe project. When tuned properly they work great!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have them on a 348 Chevy that I just started running in a new build.

Are you asking for general info, or are you having specific issues with one?

John

14. socal34

socal34

You an buy a kit from Speedway, Also Vintage Carburetor, which will make the end 2 work as dupers only with progressive linkage.
    Vintage carburetor I believe is in Fla they also have some U tube videos. This set up works like J2 on Oldsmobiles

15. Dennis D

Dennis D

Running them on my 327. Make sure the end carbs throttle plates seal and you will like this setup. D