Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Devil Is In The Details

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jenkins Competition, Mar 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr48chev,

You read my mind !

2. WOW! I looked up enablers on the net and it brought me to this thread. You guys need to get out more and breath some fresh air.
    Since when is it OK to post pics of someone’s car and rank on it. Buy it or move on and shut the fuck up.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  3. At least the guy was building a car instead of bitching about someone else’s on the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Budget36

Budget36

I think it might be about expectations set after calling the seller?

We’ve all been there, told “all done right, etc “. Issue is our expectations of something being done right, are not aligned with the sellers.

I recall one guy trying to beat me down on a truck I was selling. When I put it together it was for me. He was going on about me using split hose on some places on the new brake lines I ran, and not using the “right fasteners “ to secure it.
    I could go on and on, but point I’m trying to make is what works for me may not work for you and vice-versa

5. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Well, it is in the details, but at least you have a nice 55 Chevy sedan with the basic stuff already for your talents and detailing. For most, actually owning a hot rod sedan or coupe with some stuff in place is much more preferable to starting from scratch. It is the fun part of owning an old hot rod. Drive it and start the change over to your liking or detailing.

In our 20 something days, we needed a hot rod for our business. But, it was going to take too long to build from scratch. So, we looked high and low for a vehicle with a v8 and room for our photo stuff. A 46 Ford woody with a 283 and 3 speed was going to be “the” car for us. The mode would fit right in to the So Cal lifestyle and be attractive enough to fit in to the photo scene.
    upload_2021-3-10_4-22-11.png
    But, that purchase fell through and it was then a modified 40 Ford Sedan Delivery with a 327 in it. It took a long time, but working on the problems and detailing the sedan delivery to make it run right, handle correctly and enjoying the fruits of our labor was the key. It was drivable, but it wandered all over the road. The shake was there, the stopping power was to the floor, action and the ride overall was not comfortable. The power was there with the 327, but it just needed some good work to make it more enjoyable.

Jnaki

So, the road has to start somewhere and you are at a great purchase and build. Now the devil is in the detail. We all can have it so well put together that there is nothing for enthusiasts to do in making it our own. but, we all like to put in safety items, make it go as well as stop and get things done as your own designs come into play. YRMV

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Would you agree that making judgment of your fellow members was a calculated hurtful move on your part as well?
    [​IMG]

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

8. I can see that. My intention was not to be mean to any of the posters. I was just trying to enlighten a few. Just guessing that some were not aware that the owner of the car was not around to defend himself (not that he had to by any means). If I offended anyone, I apologize.
    I could have ignored the thread (which I probably should have) but it pissed me off and still does. Having to explain why it does, baffles the crap out of me.

flynbrian48 and impala4speed like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, I'm baffled why the thread pisses you off. Whether or not a car is built well, is a matter of facts. It's not something to get pissed off about, whether it's your car, or someone else's. Pointing out the stuff needs to be redone, that scared him off from wanting to buy the car.....why should that piss you off?

Jenkins Competition and CME1 like this.
  10. I don’t know, maybe because it’s in poor taste and lacks manners. Who are you helping? The guy doesn’t want it, the owner isn’t around, what’s the point? To me anyway, it just seems like kids on Facebook.
    Maybe it’s a result of my union years defending workers who were wronged. Who knows, it just seems to strike a nerve.....most people think I’m nuts anyway so maybe I am. :)

11. squirrel

squirrel

Ok....

It doesn't bother me. Now I know it bothers some other people. I still don't get why. Maybe I have thick skin.

VA HAMB and Jenkins Competition like this.
  12. silent rick

silent rick

when i see a thread like this one, i like to go to the build thread index and click on a thread by paul or bass or one of you other talented fiends

13. grumpy65

grumpy65

Hey @Jenkins Competition , got any pics of the whole car ??? Everything you point out is relatively easily fixed. It is a bit hard to make an informed opinion without knowing what the rest is like........:confused:

Jenkins Competition likes this.
  14. No other pics to post as I have 0 interest in offending seller or new owner by posting a definitive ID.

I certainly never called seller to axe him degrading questions.

If anything can be taken from this thread, might be that “There is no uniformity of build quality standards
    among members”

Or put another way,

“One man’s wiring mess is another’s
    copper recycling center” ! Haha

15. @squirrel, I won’t argue with you about cars or what’s traditional. You have probably forgotten more than I will ever know. It’s not about thick skin. Anyone can pick a part anything I own. Just give me the curtesy of being able to reply to it.
    If no one gets this they never will so I’ll exit stage left......thanks for the discussion it was invigorating. :)
    Edit: Damn, posted the exit too soon, that last post was nirvana but I said I’d exit. :( :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Budget36 likes this.
  16. grumpy65

grumpy65

There are many pics of the car on the site it is for sale on. A quick image search will get anyone there. It looks like a really good example of a '55 to me. A bit of a tidy up in the engine bay is no big deal.

By the way, the shifter pic you put up in post #38 is not what is in the actual car................WTF ???:confused::confused::confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.