Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need pic of 32 roadster with 3” chop windshield

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by free07110, Jun 17, 2018.

1. BAAD32

BAAD32

4" chop

Attached Files:

2. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

hfh, alfin32 and 32Dan like this.
  3. the flatlander

the flatlander

Thought I'd add a pic of my beater's w/s to the gallery of great photos. thx, ( 3" chopped, not laid back. NO top ever.)

Attached Files:

32Dan likes this.
  4. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

2" chop, LeBarron/Bonney top IMG_0051.JPG
    KK

32Dan likes this.
  5. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

hfh, 51box, Fordor Ron and 4 others like this.
  6. SDS

SDS

Could you please elaborate on what "V-cut the stanchions" means? the look of the windshield in the photo is perfect and I know I have to lay it back, just don't understand the methodology.
    Thanks!

7. 3” looks the best, but if you’re going to drive long distances (cross country) with the top on you will like a 2” chop a whole lot better. Trust me on this, I know.

beater32 likes this.
  8. SDS

SDS

9. With all these beauty's I'm almost embarrassed to post a photo of my old roadster, but it did have a 3" chopped windshield. HRP

[​IMG]

alfin32 likes this.
  10. SDS

SDS

nothing embarrassing there, sir!

11. SDS -- It's been a while but we slotted the body holes a bit and machined the lower stanchions. I'll look back thru my notes to see if I have any more information for you, One more picture to better illustrate the angle. BTW I an going to swap out for a 4 " chop soon. 1932.jpg

alfin32 likes this.
  12. SDS

SDS

Thanks, any/all technical info is greatly appreciated. Especially what "machine of V-cut the lower stanchions" means and entails.
    I'm ordering a Brookville body today or tomorrow and need to specify if I want them to mount the lower stanchions. I'm thinking so, that way i have a starting point for elongating the holes.
    Any advice on whether to get the overseas made chrome stanchions or get the unplated bronze US made ones?

13. Andy

Andy

The chrome ones did not fit my ginnie body very well. The brass ones fit better. There is a wide difference in the dimensions of the windshields. I tried Brookville, Truitwien?, and Speedway. The Speedway fit better. I bought the full stock height one and chopped it myself. This removed the unused pivot hole. It would have remained if I had chopped a 2in windshield.

14. ratrod0

ratrod0

15. SDS --
    Have them put the stanchion mount holes in. Get any USA made product available before going over seas.
    Mine is an original body and stanchions and I assume Brookville are true to the originals as well . All we did was elongate the bottom hole. Still looking for additional pictures for you.

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

This was from Harwood.
    DSCN1610.JPG

Tim_with_a_T and lucky ink like this.
  17. Here’s a [​IMG]Rodwell for sample sake.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

18. SDS

SDS

Andy,

Sorry, you lost me on the "unused pivot hole". There are 3 holes in the upper stanchion. the top and bottom ones have a "boss" around them and the middle one is just drilled into the side. the bottom one bolts to the lower stanchion, so I'm assuming you didn't eliminate that one and the top one holds the windshield in (???). the middle hole is the hole that everyone uses to mount rear view mirrors. Can you post photos of yours?
    Forgive my ignorance on the subject, I haven't build a roadster (only coupes) and it's still winter here in NH, or I'd go to a car show and check one out.

19. Andy

Andy

I wanted to not have the unused stanchion attachment hole on the side of the windshield. A 3” chop on an already 2” chopped windshield would leave the hole. A 3” chop on a stock height windshield cuts the original hole off. The stock windshield was also cheaper. I made new corner brackets and drilled new holes for them on the sides. Careful cutting did not hurt the chrome. It all came out fine

20. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Although it's a matter of personal taste. I like the convenience of a full windshield, however when I put up the top it's not so appealing. Way to bulky.
    I'm straying from the original posters questions, but does someone have pictures of a trimmed top on a stock windshield?

21. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On the v notch question that's not been addressed as far as I can tell. There's a nub on the upright that bears on the stanchion. This is a stop to prevent the screen falling back further. By relieving the stanchion slightly (v notch) the uprights are able to rotate back further thereby leaning the screen back. Do not mess with the nubs as otherwise there would be nothing preventing the screen from fully collapsing rearward. The v notch can be made in a number of ways. I've done it with a cut off wheel but might have used a carbide bur too. I don't have a dremmel which I guess would work. I'd have done it on my milling machine but I'm limited for clamping methods. Clamping vertically I guess a square end mill would make short work of this task. There will obviously be damage to any chrome whatever method is used, but this should be minimal. And, as with anything like this, sneaking up on it with small cuts, test fit, cut again if necessary, is the order of the day.

Heres a pic of mine which shows the nub. This is a Rodwell screen so isn't necessarily the same as a stock one (and I no longer have a stock one), but I hope you get the idea.

Chris 20210318_174147.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T515 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. x77matt

x77matt
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3.5” chop
    44DB0EB9-1ECF-4F8B-B916-BA0A191B662C.jpeg

hfh and Tim_with_a_T like this.
  23. SDS

SDS

So, it's time to buy one...what's the best nag for the buck out there for a complete kit? My Brookville roadster body came with the lower stancheons, but I don't have anything else. I'm thinking of a 2" chop with it laid back, but not opposed to stock height and chopping it myself.
    Recommendations?
    BTW, I got a Vintique grill insert with my body and the quality was absolutely miserable - the bars has varrying gaps between them, by an eighth of an inch and they were crooked.

24. ratrod0

ratrod0

Both of mine have 3" chops Resized_20180728_200702.jpeg 20150829_183555_resized.jpg 20150719_175206-1_resized.jpg

rod1 likes this.
  25. the flatlander

the flatlander

That's what u get with most Chinese shit. Get the insert from UPI, it fits "most" repro shells.

26. 3" NOW! IMG_8415.JPG

AULIZ and hfh like this.
  27. SDS

SDS

Just ordered a UPI grille insert - because it can't fit any worse and look more miserable than the Vintique one...BUT, they are made in Tawain (hope they're not Taiwanese shit)

28. SDS

SDS

29. A Boner

A Boner

Usually:
    Taiwan= good
    China=???