Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Have you ever did any part of a build in your house

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Gotta take the 40 spindles in the kitchen while you heat the bearing adapters in the oven! Then use momma's pot holder to slip them on :D

olscrounger, WB69 and scotty t like this.
  2. Before the wifey moved in I had a 409 dual quad intake carbs and air cleaner on the coffee table, it was a clean place to keep it. I also had a 55 nomad interior in the bedroom. Currently the back seat for my 56 Belair is in the spare bed room.

BigO likes this.
  3. That reminds me, last year I heated a ring gear in the wife’s oven and dropped it on the fly wheel on the kitchen floor( with a towel under it)

BigO and Lloyd's paint & glass like this.
  4. 50-60 carburetors have been built on my glass kitchen table. I only used the dishwasher to clean and store carburetor parts. I have built 3 Harleys and two rice burners in my dining room. It had the only tile floor in the house. My bedroom office has enough parts to put together the front drop axle suspension and a 215 Oldsmobile engine for a radical custom I am working on....I have 2 complete 3x2 setups a 2x2 setup and enough parts for 2 more 3x2 setups for a SBC. 5 southwind heaters housings I am converting to hot water heaters and electronic air conditioners and for the headrest for my custom.

scotty t and BigO like this.
  5. Restored stainless trim and rebuild carbs. :)

little red 50 and scotty t like this.
  6. Single?

7. hudson48

hudson48

When I was a lot younger and living in the family home I took over my fathers garage to pull my 29 roadster down for lots of work. The full interior was in my bedroom!! Now 50 years later with my garage close to the rumpus room I have rebuilt the tri carb Rochesters a few times on the rumpus room table.

8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

75 shovel rebuilt in the kitchen of the last house .it went out the front door with the wide glide bars on and all.a lot of the 38 has been in the house except cab,frame and motor.wont fit in.once the part has been cleaned and painted whats the big deal.?

9. vinfab

vinfab

There was a time...… the early 70's, my best friend and I built a lot of small block chevys and one big block and a number of Muncie 4 speeds in his mothers basement. Big turn of the century two story with a full basement. Back door was at ground level with 3 steps up to the main floor and 8 down to the basement. There was a garage but the overhead door was non existent. However the garage was good enough to get a car out of the brutal South Dakota winter winds to be able to pull a motor out. Once out, we spun some homemade T handles in the bellhousing and water pump bolt holes and carried them inside. The basement was our shop. We had heat and lights, we had built a workbench, a Craftsman tool chest ( the old gray colored style) and an engine stand. We had a 4 foot length of garden hose attached to the drain of the water heater for washing parts.
    We were young , dumb and invincible. We thought nothing of hauling the motors up and down the steps, but we did have to take the big block out as a short block, so we had some limits. And then there was the story of when we took a 327 out of a 72 Nova on a garage hoist through the bottom, but for another time.

10. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

We're two floors up so it'd be of limited practicality. That said, there's an old Morris Minor spindle —"swivel pin" in Minorese— set up on a makeshift jig on my study table so I could measure it up. I've done the structural math and drawn up a design for a fabricated dropped spindle. All I need is a sample bolt-on hub to complete, as I can't find the bolt pattern on the internet.

11. cfmvw

cfmvw

Built a VW motor on my kitchen table that my (ex)wife wasn't too thrilled about. Also did a few carburetor rebuilds and an alternator on the same table. As a kid I built bicycles in my room, something that my parents were up in arms about until I got into cars, then they decided that bicycles weren't so bad after all!

When I was building my house, I was living in an apartment building, and had my table saw, router, and numerous woodworking tools set up in the living room. The tenants who lived on the same floor couldn't believe it when I moved my tablesaw to the common area so I had enough room to rip down a few 2x4's. Surprisingly enough, nobody complained, and as far as I know the building manager never found out.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  12. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Yeah, upholstered my c10 seat in there, rebuilt a few carbs. That was the last house tho, and now I have a larger and heated garage, as well as a pole barn, so not likely to be happening again.

guthriesmith and little red 50 like this.
  13. In the past I have assembled and wired gauge clusters and rebuilt carburetors at my kitchen table. Small light clean projects are ok inside- big heavy dirty projects stay in the garage

14. squirrel

squirrel

when I was 19, folks went on a trip. My brother and I were drag racing the truck every weekend, and it broke the rear end the weekend folks were gone. I spent the next week putting new gears in the rear, and yes, it was in the living room for a while.... I think we got away with that one, without them ever knowing.

15. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Upholstered some bucket seats, done the heating in the oven, parts in freezer and numerous things mentioned by others above. Had an unfinished storage room in the basement of one house that was more or less a second shop. Never did anything that had gas fumes.

16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

loads of stuff corvette differential,rebuilt and painted on the kitchen table.will be doing the rear hubs shortly ,wheel bearings and seals.plus i rebuilt and assembled a shovelhead on the kitchen floor a few years back.things havnt changed all that much.except ive a double garage now .

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  17. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hey Danny, I also built a 1955 Harley Pan head chopper in my bed room
    of a small rented house when I was a young fellow around 72 or so.
    There was a snow white momma cat with a litter of 5 snow white
    kittens in the house as well. The little guys were at the jump and play
    age at the time. I got the wiring done about 2a.m. one morning and
    just had to see if it would crank up. After a couple of kicks it roared
    to life, much to my delight! The little guys not so much. It looked like a
    snow white fur storm as they all freaked out and scrambled like wildcats
    to get away from the noise and oily smoke! I thought it was hilarious.
    Your story reminded me of those fun days.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  18. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

IMG_0176.JPG Basement of last house. No direct access, had to go up a flite of stairs thru kitchen to get to the garage. This is the front of the "Whatever" project a few years back. I had all of my machinery down there as well. Took most stuff apart to get it down there. We hired 4 young strong moving men to get it all out when we sold to have the new house built.

When single, my parent's home had a nice BIG kitchen with easy access to a patio between the house and garage. When dad had the kitchen remodeled in 1961, he had a portion of the ceiling done with 8-8 foot flourescent lights recessed with translucent plexiglass for lighting, sort of like a giant overhead x-ray viewing light box (yes he was an orthopedic surgeon BTW). After he passed in 1968, my mom was really good to me letting me build snowmobile engines in the kitchen. It was great cause I kept blowing them up not really knowing what I was doing and wanting to ride the next weekend.

Then after high school, early 70's I got into dirt racing and built a few small blocks in there. Another thing about the kitchen, it had a concrete floor withheat in it. Oh and it was 18 inches thick! Being built in 61, I figure it was dad's ceiling for our bomb shelter, as the foundation of the house is masonry with close to 3 foot thick walls. Hey it was the times...

In 1974 I bought new wood garage doors for my mom's garage. They needed paint, and it was early November, in western MA. Mom wanted to Paint them as she knew I would do a terrible job. So we covered the floor and all the cabinets in 1/2 the kitchen, and I brought in 2 panels at a time and mom sanded and painted them. It took about 2 weeks to get all of the panels ready, but it must have been the right thing to do, as she sold the house in 83 and those doors had never been repainted, and still looked great.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  19. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

While I was doing bodywork and paint on the '55 Caddie, (my avatar pic) I polished the grill pieces and had the bumper chromed. I set this up in our living room in front of our fireplace. It looked like a fireplace screen.

My wife is exceedingly cool, and she actually thought it was an interesting conversation piece.

20. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I added and wired AutoMeter gauges to a factory gauge cluster on the kitchen table. Sometimes, I will bring in small plastic trim type parts in the house for cleaning. Heck, sometimes I even get the wifey to pitch in! I do store some expensive parts in the house.
    Kinda related --> I would also store freshly restored parts or painted body panels in the family travel trailer.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    hotrodjack33 likes this.
  21. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I used to get away with quite a bit, but with the coronavirus she works at home now, so baking parts in the oven etc
    does not fly. She gets her first vaccine shot Friday so just in time for it to get warm enough to paint outside. I did put heat in the garage so it is not too bad, Minisplit usually holds the garage between 60 and 66 depending on how close to it you are.

BigDogSS and hotrodjack33 like this.
  22. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As we speak, there's a pair of newly covered running boards and the restored grille for the '36 Cabriolet in the living room. They were pretty much out of site behind the Christmas tree...not so much now.
    After 38 years of shit like this, the wife has given up the fight ;)

little red 50 likes this.
  23. 3quarter32

3quarter32

24. wilkinson

wilkinson

Not yet, but I'm planning to do that in the near future. I just hope that the super home warranty customer service will accept my renovations and additional build-ons without considering them too risky or problematic. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how the process works. Does anyone have any experience or advice to share on this?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2024 at 4:42 PM
  25. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

My son sent me a video the other day that showed a whole subdivision that was built with HUGE attached garages to the small houses accompanying them. It looked real, a new subdivision..........but I had to wonder if it wasn't artificial intelligence............cause there isn't any home builder smart enough to do that........:D

26. Ziggster

Ziggster

If you consider my walkout basement workshop, then yes. I had an OT IH Traveler chassis in there for a while. Now, it’s just my speedster build. Been thinking lately I need to shore up the floor joists as I can feel the floor sloping under the weight of the flathead and chassis.

7EAFB55A-AB38-41D5-B6B8-E1E9430E9AD4.jpeg

27. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Last year my wife and I went to a Lincoln Junkyard in Penn. The owner showed us around including his barn full of his projects, then brought us to his house, Seems he had bought back his grandfathers original car an unrestored roadster (Star?) and had had it loaned to a local museum as part of a display. Well museums change displays and called him to pick up the car, the barn was full, the wife was away, so he measured the patio doors and rolled it in the living room. I should mention the room was huge, probably 40 or 50 feet long. Wife came home, car is still there and they are still married.

loudbang likes this.
  28. Hutkikz

Hutkikz

When I was young and single I owned a mobile home.
    I built a frame high enough to store 4-5 engine blocks under my bed.
    The extra bedroom was my tool room.
    Did a lot of work on the kitchen table.
    I was reasonably successful at keeping most of it hidden from
    my female guests but I kept the one that didn't freak out when she discovered
    my treasures.

nunattax likes this.