Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dana 41 gear set

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by modagger, Mar 9, 2021.

1. modagger

modagger

Greetings All

I want to change the ratio on my Dana 41 from 4:27 to 3:55. Early Ford parts sells the new gears but it isn’t something I’ve done before and my confidence level is not where it needs to be for this job.

I got a price for the labor today and thought it was just a tad, well, not just a tad but quite higher than I expected.

I was quoted $800.00 for the labor. I don’t mind paying for something that I can’t do myself. I just don’t want to get raked over the proverbial coals in the process.

I am in the Northeast and expect to pay a premium, but my question is, does this sound reasonable for the labor involved?

The rear end is in my ‘30 Model A.

I eagerly await the flow from the fount of wisdom.

Be well and safe
    Jeff

2. Budget36

Budget36

Might I suggest a different rearend ? Ie Other than the d41.
    What bolt pattern do you have and the current WMS. Also how the rear is mounted, etc.

I too just needed years back a new r/p in my step daughter’s OT Blazer, was a grand even if I brought it in. Easier to pull one and much less expensive and swap it out.

modagger likes this.
  3. modagger

modagger

E6908E2E-9FAA-4CD2-851B-77C69D46B80D.jpeg
    Hmmm......, I was hoping not to have to change the complete rear end, but I can start looking at that option also.

4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

The labor is to cover the time it takes to shim the ring and pinion correctly. The shop may drop it in right away and the gear mesh pattern is fine. Then again, they may drop it in, the pattern is off, then they have to pull the chunk, shim it, put it back together, check the pattern, and it may be off again. Add additional shims, wash, rinse and repeat. They are making sure their asses are covered, as it can get quite time consuming, especially in older axles were the machining tolerances weren't nearly as tight and precise as stuff is these days. Make sure they charge you for actual time spent, and not a flat rate.

gary macdonald and modagger like this.

5. modagger

modagger

Now that’s what I’m looking for. Knowing how involved it can become and how time consuming it may be puts it into perspective for me.

Many thanks

6. jaracer

jaracer

If the 41 requires a case spreader, it's a pretty big job. Like FrozenMerc said it is spread the case, put it together, check the gear tooth pattern and if it isn't correct, spread the case and move the shims. Repeat as necessary. I see that it has the holes in the housing for the case spreader.

modagger likes this.
  7. modagger

modagger

I’m beginning to think that $800.00 may be a fair price after all.

8. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You need to check that new gears may require a different carrier.
    On the Dana rear ends the shims are behind the carrier bearings, so those bearing need to be removed to change the shims. The pinion bearing shims are behind the rear bearing race, so it has to be removed to change that shim.
    They can be very time consuming.

modagger likes this.
  9. greybeard360

greybeard360

I have built a lot of differentials. The integral rear ends are the most time consuming because they use shims for pinion depth and backlash. If the rear end has never been rebuilt chances are the pinion depth shims will work that are in it. If someone built it before and changed them... You don't know how close they got.

They have special tools to measure the depth so you know what to put in without guessing or doing it a dozen times. Once you get the depth set, now you play with more shims to set backlash. When you are happy with that.... Check the pattern. If you got lucky... It will be good to go. If not you have to determine from the pattern if the pinion depth is ok and backlash can be adjusted a bit to get the pattern right. If not..... You start all over!

On top of this you need a bearing puller that can remove the pinion bearings if you have to change those shims.

Yes.... It can be very labor intense and requires some special tools to make it easier.

modagger likes this.
  10. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

To ponder.. Old mail Jeep's had 44's one piece axle's, posi, 3:73 , 5x5 1/2... Rare to find today, but they're out there...

11. modagger

modagger

Once again, I got just what I needed by going to the well. A schooling!

Thanks everyone for all of your input. I now realize how time consuming this job is to do correctly. And also that it’s way above my pay grade.

This gear change will hopefully lower the rpms enough so I can at least cruise at 60 without the Y block screaming at me.

Be well
    Jeff

P.S. you also succeeded in making me feel like a cheapskate! :rolleyes:

saltflats likes this.
  12. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about the 41, but on the 44 there's a carrier change, 3.73 and down, 3.9? and up.
    After paying a shop for 3 gear changes (different transmission combinations) I'd have been lots of money ahead with a modern rear end.

modagger likes this.
  13. This is one reason the Ford 9" became so popular....

modagger likes this.
  14. japchris

japchris
    from England

I've just paid out for exactly the same job on this side of the Atlantic. Had 4.27 gears taken out of my Dana 41 and replaced with 3.54 gears.
    It cost me the equivalent of about $775 for the work. ( I supplied the parts - gears, bearings, oil seals, gasket.)
    In fairness the oil seal on the front they didn't use as they machined for a larger Jaguar seal as they found there was some wear that the original oil seal might not have coped with. Price also included spark eroding the old drain plug out that had sheared off.

modagger likes this.
  15. cjsavage

cjsavage
    from eastern nc

Wow. I'd like to have had $800 for every Dana rear I've built. Check with the local 4x4 guys. They use a lot of Dana rears. The spreader is nice, but in most cases not required. Others are correct about the carrier change on some gearset swaps. Setting up ring and pinion sets is something many shops will not touch.

Sent from my moto z3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dumprat and modagger like this.
  16. modagger

modagger

That’s a heck of a cliffhanger there japchris! So do tell, did it make enough of a difference to justify the cost?

17. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

$800 labour seems steep. It shouldn't take 8 hours to do a dana diff if it's out of the car. If it's in the car it makes it more work, so that may be what yo are paying for.

modagger likes this.
  18. japchris

japchris
    from England

Not been able to take the car out yet, (which incidentally is like yours in that its Y-Block powered), as I have some building work going on in front of the garage door at present. It's got to be better though. Long journeys were costing a fortune in fuel and all a bit revvy! The gear sets are a lot more expensive for me. I believe they are made in Italy - shipped to USA, then I buy a set, ship back to Europe, (so they've had a nice round the world cruise at my expense), and then the British Government present me with a hefty customs duty charge that includes duty on the cost of shipping. Couldn't find them for sale on this side of the pond.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  19. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I really never liked the integral rear axles...Always preferred the drop out center sections...

modagger likes this.
  20. Marty Vanin

Marty Vanin

Most shops where I live are over $100 an hour,so $800 would be a days labour.You take that diff apart a few times and change the shims a few times to get a good pattern you could be all day.

21. modagger

modagger

Thanks Marty

With every response it’s becoming clearer that what I thought to be a “raking” is actually not too bad considering the work necessary.

22. modagger

modagger

Maybe if I rev it up, dump the clutch, I can turn this one into a “drop out” rear member. :p

23. NORSON

NORSON

I had to replace the gears in the front of my Gladiator (Dana 41). Dead of winter, 22-26 degrees, snow and ice, in my driveway. Had the gears in and out five or six times. Had to go into the house to thaw twice that many times. Maybe eight hours. I was my first time and the most God awful job job I ever did. It was forty years ago and I'm still cold. I think you could do it, but why? I'd replace the whole thing with a later assembly. Then you can sell the gear set to me so I can install them in my cj 3a .... In my heated shop.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  24. gary macdonald

gary macdonald

I have a few of those old mail jeep rear ends . They work great in As and under first gen camaros with wide tires ! Almost all were posi .

Hollywood-East likes this.
  25. Yep...me too....and not to many Mail Jeeps were used for burn outs !!!

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I worked on a fleet of mail jeep back in the late 70s, not sure I would agree on the no burnouts. ;)