Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Naming your car.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by emil, Mar 9, 2021.

1. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I got names for mine, especially if I end up slipping a wrench and banging my knuckles against the inner panels, or hit my hand with a hammer while trying to use a chisel... Yep I have names for it.... plenty of names..... but not very nice ones....

Sandgroper and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Thomas K.

Thomas K.

My 3 year old great grandson Grayson named my 32 the Cool Car. It stuck.

dana barlow and arkiehotrods like this.
  3. Terrible80

Terrible80

Mine are the Ford, the tan Dodge and the blue Dodge. However one I thought was kinda clever. Someone with a 64 or so Rambler repositioned the letters to spell Mabel.

Sent from my LM-K500 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Not a name, more of a nickname. Nochop

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I ran my old Sedan Deliv. in primer for years, and when I did finally paint it (Valspar low gloss black) people would still ask when was I going to paint it
    [​IMG]

One day I was talking to a buddy who commented that, after I'd been driving it for over 5 years, it was still in primer. He mistakenly asked "when are you going to paint it?"

My response was to make a loose fist in front of my zipper, making a jerking off motion, and I replied "prime this".

Well my wife saw all this and said "that's disgusting" and burst out laughing.

She said "I think you just named the car"

6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

The 40 Ford sedan I bought in 1969 was named Henry, original huh? My first 55 Buick was called Ol' Blue because that's what my Dad called it from the day he bought it new. I have had a few others I called POS but that was not a formal name, just a condition:rolleyes:

7. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found the remains of a May 1967 Playboy under the front seat in my 57 Fairlane . Center Folds name is Anne Randall so the car was named Annie.

Hollywood-East likes this.
  8. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I’m not sure what makes a name work on some cars and not others. Maybe a race pedigree e.g. Swamp Rat, or the builder, like the Chrisman Coupe, or maybe just cool factor like The Green Grenade. I don’t know.
    What I do know, is that (except for a real race car) if I named my own car, like wrote it on the door and spoke of it by name, I’d feel like a total deusch.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. While we didnt name Miss Taboo, the story of how the car got its name is a good one. Back when original (civilian owner) Ron Luchs bought the car from the Chevy dealer after the Sheriff's department had traded it back in late 1957, Ron's dad had to sign the paperwork for the car. Ron being a senior in high school did what all the kids we doing to their cars, customizing them! So when Ron started doing some custom work to the car, his dad got boiling mad at his son for screwing with a practically new car. He then yelled at Ron asking why he was cutting up a new car, it was taboo to do such a thing. The name taboo stuck and since 1958 the car has been known as Miss Taboo or Miss Tabu, the spelling has changed a couple of times.

10. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

The 56 in my avatar is called Marylin. After all she has a blond top and big hooters in front. Seemed to fit and it has stuck now for a number of years. Names on cars was a big deal back in the early 60tys in my neck of the woods

11. trollst

trollst

Mary.....she's reliable and just like a long time girlfriend. DSC07687.JPG

12. lake_harley

lake_harley

When I first brought my Model A home, which was advertised as a "survivor", I referred to it as "MaryLou", the names of the folks I bought it from. Kinda cute, I thought, for a Model A. Well...it turned out to this un-seasoned car buyer that it was a cobbled together mess. Yeah, me not seeing things that were wrong with the A before buying it is on me, but I certainly no longer refer to it by the name I originally called it.

Lynn

13. Matt55folife

Matt55folife

I love seeing gassers with names on the sides. Most of the time the names fit very well with the personality of the car itself! My cousin has a 49 olds and he painted it green. Wel it didnt turn out quite the color he had planned and it proceded to get the nickname of the pickle. The name stuck and its still known as the pickle.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Chose it in the 60s. Run a big bad hemi, carnivore Willys gasser. Takeoff on a bad Angie Dickenson TV movie of the era, "Cry Terror!" Lot of folks ask, "Why did you call it Cherry Terror?"

DSide.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Ron Funkhouser, cktasto, emil and 3 others like this.
  15. TCTND

TCTND

When I was in high school (middle of the last century) most even slightly modified cars had some name painted on. Either the owners girlfriend's name or something "clever" ie "Miss Carriage" etc. My '39 coupe wasn't named but my mother hated it anyway.

16. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Well that rules out the dog.

17. Under no circumstances will I ever name my F-100. My father did however refer to my uncles car as a umm, Terriblepain ( let’s just say the build process was a struggle, mental anguish that is) IMG_0743.JPG

18. cktasto

cktasto

I was never inclined to name mine till i saw a car in the background of the car being photographed and it was like a light switch. That weekend my wife took out her brushes and my car now has a name
    IMG_0490.JPG IMG_0498.JPG

19. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I named my children, I named my dog........my car’s name is the one given to it by Chrysler naming a non racecar is ridiculous.

Harrison and chryslerfan55 like this.
  20. 03GMCSonoma

03GMCSonoma

I had a 1937 Plymouth 4 door 60 years ago that I named "The Mayflower" because I thought more came across in it than the original. :)

Copper Top and saltflats like this.
  21. emil

emil
    from sweden

This is kinda what happens for me too, I usually name the project and have the name kinda unofficial in the family, just to honor the fallen ones.

Ends up being “the roadster” “the Pontiac” “the 35” and so on. Whatever makes it unique to the others.

Skickat från min iPhone med H.A.M.B.

22. Here I go again. I'm was have'n my coffee and checking out the old HAMB, and saw this thread. But hadn't read the previous post as yet. So if this has already been said. {sorry} But all of our old cars have a name. If I ask the wife or grandkids if they want to go for a ride. I'll ask which car? They all have a name. Here's my old car's names. If I say the { Nomad } it's a 56 belair wagon. Or they say the { Hemi } it's a 31 A sedan. If I say the { Vette } they know the car I'm talking about. Pontiac named my { Bonneville } My 34 Dodge is just called the { Delivery }. Sometimes the car company names my old cars. But then sometimes I do. 151.jpg If I say the { U.F.O. } they know I'm talking about my old 29 A coupe. That one does have a little story. I pulled in to a Mickie D's over 30 or so years ago. When I went inside. A sweet little old lady ask me what I was driving? I said it was a 1929 Ford coupe that I made into an old Hot Rod. She said, well I thought it was some kind of U.F.O. landing. So the name stuck. Names for our cars, as for pets just shows a little affection. Which I think is okay? Ron........

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  23. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

My first ‘55 Chevy I named Bucket of Bolts because I was on a first name basis with the local wrecker service, It got towed home a lot. I have to say in its defense, it became a great learning tool!

24. My wife calls my 53 "The P-O-S"

Attached Files:

jimmy six, wicarnut and 210superair like this.
  25. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

A few years back, I traded for my 63 Galaxie. When I brought it home my 4 year old daughter went crazy for it. She named it "Pearl". It stuck. I would refer to it as " the Galaxie", she would say " you mean Pearl". I had to start calling it Pearl. 20210227_162424.jpg

26. southcross2631

southcross2631

Should have the yellow on it this afternoon. My 65 Comet SEGA super stock will be called "Schools Out"
    It will be painted yellow and black like a short school bus to honor our 3 granddaughters who are school teachers and the students who have been affected by Covid.
    My avatar was called "Dancing Rabbit" for obvious reasons when it hopped down the dragstrip. DSCF3720 (1).JPG

27. Murphy32

Murphy32
    from Minnesota

Not my coupe...my DD used to be a Magnum, it was "Maggie", I've got a Chrysler C300 now that I call Jesus (Jesus Chrysler?) o_O

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  28. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I had to name this one because it didn't have the chevy ford or dodge kinda names other cars have... I named it the Futurian

futurian3.jpg

Tman, Tickety Boo, saltflats and 6 others like this.
  29. topher5150

topher5150

My wife says I need to name mine so I told her I was going to call it rusted out POS.

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  30. wicarnut

wicarnut

In the 60's/early 70's in Milwaukee wi. area naming your car was pretty popular. Myself I have never named any of my cars with the exception of my race cars "ShitBox" I can't take credit for originality, I saw it on the Bogar #99 sprint cars Jan Opperman was running, liked it, copied it. I refer to my hobby cars as my "Junk" have been heard calling them several nasty names when working on them.

Tickety Boo and hotrodjack33 like this.