Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Bonneville Speedweek 2021 Official Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tman, Feb 17, 2021.

1. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. khead47

khead47

Hope your comment about " testing the waters " doesn't jinx it !

loudbang likes this.
  3. reverse psychology

4. Always a good time when Bob would roll up to our pits.

5. What are the changes for this year? I forget.

fegsta and loudbang like this.
  6. Don't run over crap that breaks the car before you get to 200.

40two, 6-bangertim, Spoggie and 12 others like this.
  7. Hahaha, see, i forgot!

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and mctim64 like this.
  8. We'll be there providing it doesn't get cancelled and the salt is good.

9. Hope you guys have better luck this time around.

loudbang and D-Russ like this.
  10. We'll be there!!! speed-week-2018-omd-1991_tonemapped-4-jpg (002).jpg

40two, Spoggie, mctim64 and 11 others like this.
  11. loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  12. Bumpage.

13. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I would love to go I have never been there one day I will. I have been building a bonneville 32 ford coupe for more that ten years. It has been a dream of mine please when you go take lots of pictures for us and post them. I'm always looking for good pics of the cars in the pits like suspention set ups and engine trans drive train cock pit photos. My dad went out a few years ago and the pic he took were great. Most of the pictures of cars at bonneville on the internet are starting line photos but few are of the pits and up close. I would love to see a thread on bonneville pics 2021-03-04-01-11-40.jpeg kennyg1932ford_zps06743d77.jpeg kens32midengine2_zpsb50c0bdb.jpeg

Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh boy - you owe it to yourself to go, especially if you are building a car to run there. I see you’re from PA. Other that getting there and back.... it is rather simple to attend, watch, chat with racers, and see some of the coolest vehicles you will ever find. One of the most low-key events I’ve ever been to,- and so much to do and see. I’ve been 4or 5 times - spectator only.

‘John

Spoggie, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. IronFord

IronFord
    from NoDak

If I have the time off we'll be there this year.

SquirrelTail and loudbang like this.
  16. gbones32coupe

gbones32coupe

I should have went when my dad went out there but at the time I had young kids that need me but I. Thinking about going out there soon the kids are a little older now maybe I can get away. So just wondering how does one go there I know it is in the middle of nowhere can you fly in to salt lakes city and rent a car and I guess drive in. I guess what I'm saying is where is the place to stay and what is the best way to plan to go.
    Sent from my LM-Q720 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  17. ckdesigns

ckdesigns
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ogden,Utah

I’ll be there spectating and maybe crewing, camping just past the bend. Not sure which car I’ll bring.
    I’m glad that Bonneville isn’t in Iowa.
    Tub BW DSC05140 insta.jpg
    Trio DSC01149.jpg

Following the gospel since 2004

18. PotvinV8

PotvinV8

Book hotel in Wendover, fly into Salt Lake, rent car, drive to Wendover. Bonneville is a few minutes drive from Wendover, couldn't be easier. Super easy and life changing if you're a hot rodder!

19. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

(Not too) Long Ago, and Far Away...

Somebody wanted pics? Take a minute and check my link below...then GO! 110944DE-12EE-4C6B-9361-577273BBD8BF.jpeg

20. Rynothealbino

Rynothealbino

We always fly into SLC and rent a car. We bring camping gear with us and set up at the "Bend". A few others tent camp, but it's mostly campers out there. They don't exactly encourage taking rentals out on the salt, so if you do get one wrap the pedals in plastic bags and tape, and get some cheap towels to use as disposable floor mats. Bring a couple rolls of quarters with too so you can vacuum and hose the car down. The salt gets EVERYWHERE. I think the Texaco in Wendover has a coin operated car wash.

21. distributorguy

distributorguy
    from MN

We're headed there, but without the truck unless a miracle happens. The salt should be great since this'll be the second year in a row with no pumping.
    Datsun_Bonny-03631.jpg

22. MJW

MJW
    from NJ
    1. PA. NJ. local HAMBERS group

I drove last year by myself from Jersey on Rt 80, 4600 miles round trip Wednesday to Wednesday. No traffic or hotels until Cheyenne WY due to COVID. The drive out and Bonneville was epic. My 14yr old wants to go so I am planning on doing it again this year. DM me if you want and I can give you some pointers if you are going to drive. It was my first time. I was a spectator but ran into and met lots of folks.

23. My goal is to tow my junk out there this year just to drive it on the Salt and watch some records fall...
    I went for the first time in 2020 and had a blast, all things considered.
    Now if I can just convince the wife that Speedweek will make a much better vacation than a cruise or week at the beach...
    Chappy

24. I've got a room booked, but I'm not really holding my breath that the border will be open. Quite probably wishful thinkin', I'm thinkin'.

stillrunners, Algoma56 and loudbang like this.
  25. If you make it out, come find our pit and hang out a bit. Screen Shot 2018-08-29 at 11.11.46 AM.png

26. "Wally"

"Wally"

We'll be there! Set a D/BGRMR class record 2020 only to have it broken 2 mos. later at the "World Finals". Going to get it back, hoping to push into the 200 range. Funny you used a picture of my car (inspiration photos ) from back in 2013, different paint scheme, that Willie owned, I bought it in 2018. If you are going, certainly find us, "Flying Rose Racing" #426 Let's have a HAMB get together.
    Punk Ass Roadster.jpg Impound Sunrise.jpg Waiting to run.JPG

27. 97

Don't tell the rental company you are going to Bonneville. or even Wendover. Don't wear hot rod clothing , tell em your going to Winnemucca or Ely, etc etc. They don't like salt in their cars!

28. gonzo

gonzo

I can't believe it's been 13 years since me and the boys went to Bonneville.
    Maybe this is the year to do it again.

I also can't believe the photos still show up from this decade old thread!
    jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/boston-to-bonneville-alter-boys-invade.319495/

[​IMG]

29. Certainly will look you up. We are skinning our car as a F/BGMR. Had a 27 body that was jealous of the lakester idea.
    Sent from my SM-J337V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Last year was my first year, we camped at the Bend. It was a blast! I asked about it before I went and got told all the things to bring and expect...... except
    1: binoculars! I usually bring them on every trip, but some how I forgot them. The spectators are about a 1/4 mile or more from the cars on the fast end!
    2: bring a portable radio, or something that will pick up radio waves, not sure about this new stuff. We drove our side by sides and neither had radios. They broadcast info and results immediately on the radio. We were monitoring something on our phones, but it was delayed ....something like five minutes or so. Easy to get mixed up.We Parked by some cars that had theirs doors open and survived, but it would have been nice to have our own radio.
    Just a couple of things, among many, that stood out on our trip.

Bones

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021