Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Alternators/charging and 1 wire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stonehenge, Mar 7, 2021.

1. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

If its all the same to you, I'll be keeping my 1-wire , thank you.

2. For those who are math-challenged or don't know where to find 'circular mills', use this calculator...
    Voltage Drop Calculator
    Just fill in the blanks and click on 'calculate'... One thing you do have to do with this calculator is cut the wire length in half as this figures it's out and back so it doubles whatever you plug in. This is done for 'normal' circuits but we're dealing with automotive.

If you keep total voltage drop below about 3%, you'll never have issues with things like dim lights. 5% should be the maximum allowed drop for decent results; the lower the drop, the better your system will work.

I'll also note that voltage drops are additive; if you lose 3% between the battery and the fuse panel, then another 3% between the panel and the ignition switch, you're now at nearly 6% and everything downstream will be short that amount.

Both the OEMs and aftermarket harness suppliers are shameless about using the smallest wire size they can get away with, and that will negatively impact voltage drop...

3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see this option when I changed to an alternator prior to adding AC. Kept the i-did-it light which I wanted. If I want to know the volts I have a digital one in can plug into to the cigar lighter.... you do have one of those don’t you?

4. Redrodguy

Redrodguy

No lighter - but I do have a 12v + power source. ;)

5. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

See now why God says thou shalt honour thy generator and keep it holy?