Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Junk Yard trip

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevsotolac, Mar 4, 2021.

1. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

I had 23 inches of snow in my driveway Sunday.....Tuesday I was walking around in the pine tree woods of South Carolina.....what a difference....did some junk yard hooping while I was down there....thought you might enjoy some pictures....

Attached Files:

2. chevsotolac

chevsotolac

This is what I had at home....

Attached Files:

Jalopy Joker, Stogy, ffr1222k and 3 others like this.
  3. Squablow

Squablow

All those Pontiac shark fin belt line moldings! I assume you got all of those? And that '54 grille bar, looks rough but I never saw one of those in all my years of junkyarding. The one Packard grille looks pretty decent yet, too. Unless the prices were sky-high, it would have been really easy for me to pick out a big pile of pieces to buy out of that yard.

4. scotts52

scotts52

Pretty cool. As wonderful as it is to see yards like this, it simply means that the original investment by the yard owner isn't paying dividends like it maybe once did. Either prices are too high, nobody knows about the place or he doesn't really want to sell. Either way it's like a ticking time bomb before they pass and the family has a scrapper come in for quick cash. Get all these parts and projects back into the car guys hands.
    Stop the rot!! Lol
    Seriously, we all need to step and save what we can before it's all gone. I know I have. And I'm running out of room.

Stogy likes this.

5. thanks for taking us with, a lot of beautiful stuff, the sharknoses are not so easy to find, i think

arkiehotrods, Stogy and catdad49 like this.
  6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Where in SC is this? I grew up in SC.

Stogy likes this.
  7. garyf

garyf

It seems the acid in pine needles does as much damage as salted roads.

Frankie47, Stogy, 56don and 3 others like this.
  8. rusty valley

rusty valley

Agree, pine trees are really hard on cars

Stogy, 56don and hotrodjack33 like this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

So that's what it is ... (the severe rust is what I was referring to) .

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Stogy and 40ragtopdown like this.
  10. I figured those pics were taken in either Israel or Jordan with the body of water in the background being the Dead Sea.

Thanks for the pics though ... nice to see there is still some old tin around.

Shalom ;)

Stogy likes this.
  11. How did a old Fiat wind up in there???

Stogy likes this.
  12. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Why are most of those Southern junkyards in a pine forest? Why are any junkyards in a forest?

Stogy likes this.
  13. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@chevsotolac that must have been fun...I know I just had some...thanks for sharing those...;)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Sandgroper likes this.
  14. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

thanks for sharing! I especially liked the 'Shark nose" Graham

arkiehotrods and Stogy like this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

once Cool rides, now cooler with rust holes

Sandgroper and Stogy like this.
  16. Squablow

Squablow

In my area of Wisconsin, a lot of old junkyards are in swampy areas, which makes the sheetmetal rot at a much faster pace than an open field. I've had the opportunity to talk to the families of the guys who started these places, and they all said the cars got dumped there because that swampy land wasn't farm-able. It was useless for everything else so cars/junk got collected there. I think a lot of heavily tree'd areas got filled up for the same reason, it was too much work to pull all the trees out to farm that spot, so they used it to dump old cars in, without really thinking the stuff would be there 50+ years later, or worrying about how fast they'd decay.

It's unfortunate for us now, but I doubt any of those guys were worried about how stuff would hold up by the year 2021. Some of them may not have even bothered saving the cars if they knew a lot of them would still be there with unsold parts attached yet in the year 2021.

rusty valley, ClarkH and Stogy like this.
  17. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

The pine needles of death........they are potent.

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's funny I bought an Ole 39 chevy that was sitting in a pine forest and it wasn't to bad for a rust belt junker...maybe they met varied toxic fates such as floods, fire, out of States rust belters...there is some pretty good metal here and there eh!...;)

19. South Carolina has a wretched combination of pine needles and sand- toxic mix for metal.

Stogy likes this.
  20. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

It probably was an open field when those cars were put there 50+ years ago, the trees have grown up since then.

TagMan, woodsnwater and Stogy like this.
  21. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Yes, there are a few yards here, and there were no trees originally, but over time the trees take over. The forest reclaimed the land. If one were to take a leaf blower to the pine needles occasionally, many of the cars could have been in better condition.

22. garyf

garyf

Best guess answer to your questions- All Pine and no hardwood usually indicate swampy area in the South (useless land) . - Years ago salvage yards would pay next to nothing for a car. A property owner therefore would drag his worn out car to this area of his land and let his neighbors take advantage of his dump.

23. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Anyone know where this is??
    My brother lives in SC. If it's close to him I'm sure he would like to take his boys there. Gene.

24. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I shouldn't have looked at the pictures. Just made me feel bad seeing all the cool cars rusting into the ground.

25. Or how long they have been there ? Our east Texas has what we call the "piney woods" along with the sandy soil it just destroys a car from the frame up and the top down.

Stogy likes this.
  26. thanks for posting !

Stogy likes this.
  27. rusty valley

rusty valley

remember that auction in florida a couple years ago with nomads and such with the roof rotted thru and covered in pine needles. I hate the f'n things myself. they are pretty to look at in the mountains, but in your yard they kill everything underneath. neighbors plant them because they grow fast, i think you will chop them down fast too. ok, i am done bitching, now back to the regular program

Truck64 and Stogy like this.
  28. Thanks for the adventure- takes me back to when I was a kid, was hunting the neighbours junkyard and came upon a 55 victoria, never knew they had made cars so beautiful. I really like that onetwenty script on the one hood, those were the days.

29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

That Graham needs to be rescued and put back on the road. Too cool!

weps and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

What a tear jerking sight. Someone play "Taps" for all those poor dead soldiers.

rusty valley likes this.