Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your state require a front license plate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 1, 2021.

1. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

to go a little further on Rocky's post, Nebraska yom plate is good for as long as you own the car. one time flat fee of $85. if you own multiple cars it drops by $10 for each car bottoming out at $55. mine on my 40 sedan 2016-10-12 03.22.32.jpg

2. Yeah, thanks, Steve. Same with the Historical plate....When you sell the car, the plate stays with the seller. 41-48tailites.jpg

3. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

MY wife's DD doesn't have a front mount so no plate. Guess you can blame the manufacturer when we get stop here in Colorado

4. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Yes, in Mass. if you were issued 2 plates you must run them. If you run YOM or year of manufacture
    plates you can use one. But here they hit you up an extra $50.00. Standard plates are good for 2 years at $50 but
    YOM plates every year !!! Bastids

5window likes this.
  5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

50 bucks is cheap to be cool

6. on classics ( running YOM, Antique Collector, Horseless Carriage plates you only required to have one).. other than that Washington State requires two plates on your daily driver here..

7. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

I'm sure we're s'posta... but...
    Copper Coupe and Impala.jpg

8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

If a new car is purchased in So Cal , some dealers will automatically put on their front plates and surrounding advertisement frame. If you catch them soon enough, the bumper remains unmolested, but each buyer of the car gets the additional front plate to add on later, when a nice frame is purchased. You can tell the dealer that when you get a custom frame, you will add the whole license to the front. Sometimes a waiver is signed.

So, the story goes. But, the DMV does issue two plates so, they do require them to be on the front. You can and will be stopped for any reason and the CHP will issue a fix it ticket. Whatever the reason is for front plates, it ruins the smooth front designs of most vehicles. The funny part is that some new vehicles have the Star Wars Storm Trooper face on the grille. So, by adding a license plate the required amount above the ground, it looks like a buck tooth.

Jnaki

For most, a front license plate is worthless and serves no direct identification unless parked and the officer walks around to look specifically at the no license plate area. On a moving vehicle, the front goes by so fast that it is impossible to see the numbers and letters. No one has that super vision to see the front plate go by so fast. So, the rear plate is the only one that is important for id. IOHO.

On hot rods, the front plate usually is placed just about anywhere and also makes no sense at all. But, rules are rules. So, one day when we are all cruising around on our longer road trips, some local CHP or other law officers with wide brim hats will pull us over for a fixit ticket.

9. Massatwoshits requires 2 plates except when running year of manufacture.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

10. Not a state, but In beautiful Ontario we require 2, the current premier ran on changing to one, but we will see. He changed the colour right away after being elected, then the paint started peeling off of the new plates. The police associations started to complain, so I guess he had to decide if he was pro- police or not, so we went back to status quo, 2 plates and original colours. A new truck is supposed to arrive this month, it will get farm plates.

11. 34Larry

34Larry

Yes, front and back but only the rear needs a tag, and they make you replace the plate every so many years whether you need to or not. In this state it is all about money money money.

12. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I mentioned that earlier in the thread, tho here they don't charge extra for the new plates, at least not directly. I can't figure out what was wrong with the old plates. They mumbled something about "nearing the end of their life cycle." Yeah, OK. Seems to be about every 5 to 7 years though. I'd just about memorized the last pair.

13. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

Unless you're rolling through Pantego or DWG Dan. I've heard the same story many, many times. "The state of Texas issues two plates. The state of Texas doesn't issue two of something without expecting you to use it. Sign right here please." The only exception I know of is the Antique tag. I only received one plate when I registered my old '32. I plan to run YOM '34 plates on my car. I have a matching pair just in case.

14. chopo

chopo

What hood straps are you running

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. raymay

raymay

New York currently requires 2 plates. I did read some legislative stuff not long ago that they were looking at a 1 plate option. Sure would be nice but if it moves along in Albany like everything else in this state, it will probably never happen in my lifetime.