Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods roadster stanchions ... leaning em back ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sawbuck, Mar 7, 2021.

1. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i want to lean back my lower windshield stanchions to match the uppers ... 30 31 model A...chopping and leaning just the top stanchions gives it a broken look my opinion ...has anyone done this ..pictures maybe ? i look at em and cant figure out were to slice and dice em ...

2. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Found this picture. Not sure if it helps. interi....jpg

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I did the 30/31 Ford NSRA giveaway truck in 03 I used the 1 piece brass posts that Brookville provided and chopped them to match the deluxe windshield frame and sliced them to lean back to about 2.00. I then had them chrome plated. Looked good

kidcampbell71 and sawbuck like this.
  4. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

thanks i think thats ia 28 29 ...30 31 are different

5. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

thank you i will look for pictures

6. speedshifter

speedshifter

I also chopped & leaned back the windshield frame on my 1930 Brookville roadster. I used a 14" chop saw to angle cut the upper corners of the chrome deluxe frame to shorten it aprox 2". Actually the standard, not deluxe, frame is 2" higher yet. To lean the windshieldback I eliminated the limiting fin at the lower part of the stanchion. Then to keep wind from blowing back the windshield, I coated the "cones" that the lower part of the stanchions fit over with valve lapping compound. This provides enough friction to hold the windshield firmly in place. Hope you can understand my poor description. Greg

7. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

yes i got rid of the fin also.. it leans the upper stanchion back ...i want to lean the lower stanchion to match it ..so the 2 pieces lean together as one ,,,it has to be pie cut and welded ...not sure where to slice it ?

8. xlr8

xlr8
    from Idaho

I have never done it but I think you will be better off leaning the post back that sits underneath and holds the lower stanchion, rather than the stanchion itself. If you cut the stanchion and weld it back together the bolt holes will never line up.

9. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

thanks.... i have thought of that ...you are correct there are a lot of angles and then the bolt holes to worry about ..