Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Jalopy showdown

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 24 Dodge, Mar 8, 2021.

1. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any truth that this years show will be the last one?

2. we need to keep this up to the top.
    I heard last year was going to be the last one but it was killed by Covid. Is there a date for this year?

3. .............15 May as far as I know, and yes, Larry has said that this will be the final one.:(

4. Like you said, let's try to keep this near the top as May is just around the corner.:D

46international likes this.
  5. The last one that Larry will be doing...
    Maybe someone will step in and keep it going........;)
    Chappy

6. ..............That would be great.

Dino 64 likes this.
  7. I want to say thanks to Larry, and those that helped put on at great event. Here's just a thought?? { my 2 cents worth } But I'd like to see the Latimore, { Easteren Museum of Motor Racing } help sponsor a simple event at the old site. I know because of the insurance, and other things. That it should be kept very simple. Like the fair grounds is just a place to park for the museum. We could camp at the camp grounds, and just hang out with friends. The museum could charge for the camping, and even take a entry fee or donation for the museum. A win, win, win. Maybe it could just stay small, and fun. I think that it just got too big, and too much work in the past. But just old cars, friends, and a cool museum! What more would you want? :) Ron.....

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  8. I may be wrong but I thought I heard that they might just do that Ron. I will try to see if I can get some more info.
    By the way the Museum does sponsor a few drag races (reunions) a year at South Mountain Raceway. The last one I went to was great.
    The Glory days show is Sept. 26 and there is another one April 18 (vintage eliminator). Both at South Mountain.
    There is a bunch of other things going on with the museum for this year. You guys should join up and get the news letter.

9. noboD

noboD

If you give EMMR $200 you become a life member and can get the email newsletter letting you know what's going on. One of the best bargains going.

10. OPEN HEADERS THIS YEAR!!!

11. scarylarry

scarylarry

Hey there...it’s been a while! The show WILL happen May 15th rain or shine at Lincoln Speedway in Abbottstown PA. It WILL be the LAST Jalopy Showdown. I would be fine with the museum picking it up with a name change and run it their own way. I am on the board at the museum but I’m just done running a show, 18 years is enough for this old boy. My explanation of the situation and updates as it gets closer is on the shows Facebook page. I don’t see anything happening at the museum grounds because the insurance is just such a giant issue. There will still be a race cars on the museum track and other local tracks throughout the year. Please check our schedule at EMMR.org. Thanks for all the years of support. Let’s do it one more time!!

12. scarylarry

scarylarry

Great idea...that is how the Showdown started!! You just have to figure out how to keep it small

13. Hi Larry, Yeah, you made your event just TOO MUCH FUN! Like Bob Hope said, Thanks for the memories. What I was suggesting is to treat the fair grounds as a parking lot. Don't offer us anything. Maybe just a few porta potties here and there. Gotta have those. lol But we have to bring our own food etc. You just offered us too much cool stuff. Which was very COOL! But that's what made it so, too successful. Have a 1965 cut off year for the cars parked on the infield parking lot. Add few parking attendents. But thats all. You just made it too great of an event, and THANKS! But I think if you didn't offer all that cool stuff. Like food, Bands, a swap meet, a thrill show etc, etc. It could be small again. Another name? Well Okay. Hay, we'll see you this year. But I was just a think'en, and hate to see it end. Ron......

14. noboD

noboD

Ron, why not just pick a date they are open and everyone show up? No muss, no fuss.

15. Ha, ha, I like that. That would keep it small too. Same date as this years. Road Trip! :p

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. .........Thanks for checking in, Larry, and thanks a bunch for all of the years of fun. It would in fact be great if someone managed to pick up the ball and continue one of the best events on the East Coast, regardless of whatever name it became. I'll be there, rain or shine (been there in a torrential downpour before). If it goes away, it will be sorely missed. Big thumbs up to Larry and all of his volunteer crew who busted their asses just so we could have a special day......Don.

17. 24 Dodge

24 Dodge
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

19. Sorry I've never been to this event. It's been on my list for a couple years. Hope this isn't the last one, as I can't get there this year.

Dino 64 likes this.
  20. just trying to keep this up to the top.

21. Koz

Koz

NoboD doesn't have that bad an idea. Last year Fall Wildwood was cancelled but there was a Facebook inspired "unofficial" event. It drew damn near as many cars as the official one. Not trying to stir up any trouble, just sayin'.

22. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I used to be involved in a club where a lot of members suggested "somebody" should do this or that. But what they really meant was "somebody else". To those suggesting, don't wait for "somebody else", seize the opportunity.

23. well, a lot of truth in that ^^^^

chevy57dude likes this.
  24. Larry

Thanks for honoring last year’s vendor spaces. Totally unexpected and super cool of you.

see you on the 15th

25. Can't wait!..Only 3 weeks away.

26. Hope Larry has done up some cool T-shirts and posters for the (sadly) last one.