Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Lytles Garage 34 5w Fuel Coupe Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51farmtruck, Jan 23, 2018.

1. mike bowling

mike bowling

Excellant job saving that old girl!

Fuel coupes are the cats ass!

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Thor1, loudbang and 51farmtruck like this.
  2. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Thanks. I still mess a lot of stuff up, you just learn one way how not to do it. My stuff is far from perfect compared to some of the magicians we have on here, but its the best I can do and I try and make the next piece better than the last.

AHotRod, Thor1 and loudbang like this.
  3. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Had to get a visual of a decklid on the car, so slapped this one off my other 34 drag coupe on there. This sucker has 6" louvers in it!!! Now on to making a new one for this car.

250.JPG 251.JPG 252.JPG 253.JPG

Stogy, AHotRod, bchctybob and 8 others like this.
  4. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Super interested in seeing how you tackle the deck lid!

5. 33Doll

33Doll

I’m thinking, that panel is off the side of an AC unit or a swamp cooler?

loudbang likes this.
  6. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

This is the car the decklid came off of.

254.jpg 255.jpg 256.jpg

This is what it looks like now sitting in storage. Anyone know of a cheap 3w body????

257.jpg 258.jpg 259.jpg

7. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Most of the top has been welded up, and got its first round of smoothing.

260.JPG

Shadow Creek, Stogy, hendelec and 7 others like this.
  8. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Cut the shin scrapers off the rear of the car and bobbed the horns back. You'll notice the tips were painted red (along with some real blood) to try and warn any would be passerby the danger around them. There were many victims.

261.JPG 262.JPG 263.JPG 264.JPG 265.JPG

9. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I like how you sculptured the frame horns instead of just cutting a strait line! Is the white coupe a coupe that your family owns? You are doing top notch work on the coupe!

10. AHotRod

AHotRod

I love it man, great job.

11. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Thanks Sam! The white coupe "Cherry Gobbler" is mine. Its a real deal 50's drag coupe from Seattle. It will be awhile before anything happens with it. I'm still waiting for the right roached out 3w body to pop up. I have another 34 5 window body that is worse than this current coupe laying in storage.

loudbang, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  12. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

The roof on the coupe has always looked like hammered dog shit. This is the good side that has had a 1/2 days worth of welding and straightening.

266.JPG

After much research and lots of testing of different hammer units, I ended up building a handheld planishing hammer. Its ultra adjustable, easy to get on and off a vehicle, and able to put as much preload you want on something. I still have to get used to using it though.

267.JPG 268.JPG 269.JPG 270.JPG 271.JPG

rod1, slayer, Just Gary and 8 others like this.
  13. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

That portable handheld planishing hammer is nice! I think I would be trying to make some replacement panels for that roof. I am looking forward to seeing the end result of your hammer and dolly work on that roof.

loudbang, Stogy, hendelec and 2 others like this.
  14. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Just gotta get it good enough for a slathering of mud! :D

15. That Coupe is so sick looking! Nice work.....

51farmtruck and Thor1 like this.
  16. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

True but I have been watching your work and it looks like your skill set would support new pieces, but yep close enough for slathering mud will work:).

51farmtruck, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  17. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

18. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Nice looking Planishing hammer you built there I have some questions about it though what planishing hammer mechanism did you use and where did you get it also what other dies do you have or do you just make what you need I ask because I’ve been following along from the beginning and I have a coupe that’s way worse than yours and I’m too poor to buy anything good I have more time than money keep up the good work

Chrome don’t get ya home

19. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Ah yes the elusive hammer. After studying quite a few higher end brands, their hammers looked very familiar. Woodward, Jet, and Mittler Bros look to use the same basic power unit, a GOD DAMN NEEDLE SCALER! Simply with the trigger clamped wide open, using a foot pedal.

272.jpg 273.jpg 274.jpg

Sure as shit, went down to the local Harbor Freight, grabbed a scaler and pulled the needle assembly off the nose and low and behold a captured hammer head was left. So $60 later I had my hammer unit. The specs on it were exactly what I was looking for, high beats per min (4600) and a very small stroke (1/2").

275.jpg 276.png 277.png

Now you can use it as is, but this is where if you have some time, you can save some weight and height and make it just a lot cooler looking. I cut the top 1" or so off that held the trigger unit, welded up the passage and utilized a plug in the side for the new air inlet. Put that in the lathe and turned the whole thing down and radiused the edge. Took the rest of the body apart and turned it down to 1-5/8" so it will slip inside some DOM tubing for the frame. Flipped the body around and turned down the nose and gave it a smoother radius. Took the hammer and ground and polished it all up. Now you have a svelte and neat looking piece!

270.JPG

As for the lower dies, I wanted to buy a full set that were hardened. Most of the places I talked to only had some individuals and no full sets. I didn't want to buy a few of these guys and a few of those guys, as some have different shank sizes and undercut radiuses. I talked to Baileigh and ended up getting the last full set they had at the time. Then I built the lower die post for them. All in all the dies were the most expensive part of this by a long shot. This was a very fun project that saved me a ton of money over buying one, and it utilized just about every piece of equipment in the shop.

Untitled.png

20. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks for the info I’m like you I can build a tool such as this easier than I can afford to buy one plus for my home shop it will probly last forever if I were doin things like this on a daily basis I would buy one because I could afford it then lol

Chrome don’t get ya home

continentaljohn, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  21. So Cal Greg

So Cal Greg

Amazing workmanship and an awesome car. Can't wait to see it 'finished'

continentaljohn, loudbang and Thor1 like this.
  22. KFC

KFC
    from UK

23. brady1929

brady1929

Love the planishing hammer.

continentaljohn and loudbang like this.
  24. Dedsoto

Dedsoto
    from Australia
    1. Aussie HAMBers

any updates? :cool:

J.Ukrop, continentaljohn and rod1 like this.
  25. Besty34

Besty34

great thread, any updates ?

Just Gary likes this.
  26. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

I spoke with Sam (51 Farm Truck ) earlier this summer. He said he had to vacate his shop and build a new one so the project is on hold.