Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I've used friction tape to set side windows in the bottom channel on my '53 pickup. They roll up and down and stay in place. I glued one once and will never do that again.

chryslerfan55 and J.Ukrop like this.
  2. 97

Any good glass shop should have a glass grinder, a little off each side will be easy, they normally cut them a little bigger than needed ,then clean up the edges .

winduptoy and J.Ukrop like this.
  3. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I'm definitely leaning towards friction tape!

Excellent. I'll see what they can do.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

My brother is in town this week all the way from Michigan and, as you can imagine, I've asked if he could help me with my build in between all of our other San Francisco excursions. Andrew is a diehard hot rod enthusiast and has been a huge player in this project since day zero. He's built a handful of vintage motorcycles and plans to put together a '28-'29 Model A roadster with an early Hemi in the next couple of years. I couldn't be more excited to show him the car. IMG_3640.jpg
    Here's AU getting a feel for things. Our first order of business was to wrap up the fuel system. After gathering the materials, I started assembling the pieces of the puzzle. Steel fuel line painted copper to look old. Low-PSI Holley pump. Gates Barricade hose. Fuel injection hose clamps. Rubber insulation throughout.
    IMG_3639.jpg
    As soon as we had the pump in position, we decided that it would be a good idea to make a heat shield. Even though it's tucked into the frame several inches above the exhaust collector, we want to keep the pump and lines as cool as possible.
    IMG_3653.jpg
    Andrew making the notch for the fuel pump in the heat shield.
    IMG_3660.jpg
    The aluminum heat shield is bolted to the frame on three sides and is very sturdy. We had to adjust the routing of the lines to clear the throttle arm. I still may adjust this more. Function over form. IMG_3662.jpg Here's the final product with the floor on. Overall I am very happy with how it turned out. It's hard to tell, but I'm using a pair of vintage hose clamps left over from my Triumph chopper build inside the cabin. The rest will just have to age naturally. IMG_3663.jpg
    Working out the details. Don't worry, I'll straighten out those clamps!

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Way to go Kid.
    It's coming together.

Stogy, J.Ukrop and winduptoy like this.
  6. low down A

low down A

i don't know about fuel lines hooked to a electric pump inside firewall, never seen in done , maybe there's a reason

Stogy likes this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

The fuel pump is under the floor where they are mounted all the time, the hard lines under the dash are the stock location. Nothing here that hasn’t been done a trillion times

Outback, ottoman, razoo lew and 10 others like this.
  8. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

Getting close to getting him back on the road! Very similar to how I just ran mine. I noticed you opted out of the pressure regulator. I might end up pulling mine out. Good idea on the heat shield. Great work.

Stogy and J.Ukrop like this.
  9. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I can see low down A's concern. If you get in a crash and the line going to the carb comes off at the connection, you'll have the fuel pump pumping fuel into the cockpit of the roadster.
    I installed an inertia switch on mine. If you get into a wreck it shuts the pump off.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

That’s a fare point @Aaron D.
    The pump is a low psi unit so it’s probably no more pressure than what would normally gravity feed out of the tank.

Not much about a stock gas tank feels safe no matter how the lines get run. The inertia switch is a good idea. I wonder if a roll over valve could be fitted to the bottom of a stock A tank?

11. The inertia switch is much easier than a Model A rollover valve. Similar protection.

Stogy and Tim like this.
  12. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you! I'm going to give it a shot without the regulator first. I will be running my fuel pressure gauge on the firewall and see what kind of numbers we are getting.

Thank you for the info everyone. As someone who has never done this before, it's all new to me. I am now searching for a good inertia switch to buy.

13. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Did you wise your Alliance Tag to cover a hole?

Stogy likes this.
  14. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The installation looks fairly straightforward, but I have a few questions. Say I get this switch:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...hK0NS8bBAl2qgs_XfG-1OsrEYhMfRd1oaAggcEALw_wcB

Where would be a good place to mount it? Also, it's looking like this requires a relay. How did you set yours up?

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  15. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hahah no, it's just taped on there for now. It's my 2016 one. I think my 2021 one is on its way.

chryslerfan55, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  16. studebaker46

studebaker46

no info on the switch, but are you guys twins? tom

Stogy likes this.
  17. low down A

low down A

i would just run those fuel lines on the motor side of the firewall and i think it would be alright as is

18. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

I have used 3 of them, on fuel injected hot rods. The shock trips the switch and there is a red reset button on top. It not a off and on switch.

19. Tribalmonkey

Tribalmonkey

This is the one I used. Mounted it under my seat where I have my fuse box. Not sure if it is ‘good’ or not. I had to swap one lead/contact to a different position to make it ‘normally on’. I also wacked it to see if it worked. It did. Ha! IMG_5609.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I’d just run to the junkyard and pull an inertia switch off an 90’s era Ford, they’re behind the right inside kick panel on F-150’s.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That’s a thoughtful concern about the fuel pump. I honestly would never have considered it. One more reason this place rocks.

22. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

They are on the left side of the trunk in Mustangs and Crown Vics

23. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

I went to the wrecking yard and got one out of a 90s Ford Ranger. I mounted it to the firewall and wired the fuel pump ground through it. If the inertia switch trips, it cuts the ground to the fuel pump and stops it from running. I also ran the same ground wire through a toggle switch so I can turn the fuel pump off and have full power to the car.
    IMG_1589.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

24. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do we have new smoke and loud noise yet?
    Inquiring minds need to know.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

J.Ukrop, Woogeroo, guitarguy and 3 others like this.
  25. toddwkman

toddwkman

following...

J.Ukrop likes this.
  26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

I fear these brothers have gone astray. If was the '60s we would start looking in North Beach wherever Carol Doda was performing.
    Unknown.jpeg

Outback, Jeff34, warbird1 and 5 others like this.
  27. SilverJimmy

SilverJimmy

Carol Doda, the Perfect 36!

28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you for everyone who has checked in. I've been away from the keyboard during this very fun-yet-productive week. I have a bunch of updates to post tomorrow, but I figured I'd include a quick video of the first fire up of Roadster version 1.5!

You can't really tell in the video, but it was extremely loud with just the header on there. Sounded like a cacklefest in the cul de sac!

29. 97

Sounds like a name for a small local car show! Necessarily small because a cul de sac is just that , you could have the dead end dudes or the dead end guys bands playing and/or show the 1937 movie dead end, with the dead end kids . Just a circle of vintage hot rods at the end of a culdesac all cackling all day!