Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Ugliest Kustoms of the 50s

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Feb 21, 2013.

1. CowboyTed

CowboyTed

Dunno when this one was built. I happened across it one day while driving through Falcon, Colorado. The car was parked in front of a storage business, with a "For Free" sign. I passed on it. I suspect one of the hardest parts of planning a custom is getting the proportions right. This builder didn't get it right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  2. Sandgroper

Sandgroper

If Barris was a meth head I suppose it would be possible.........:eek::D:D:D:D:p

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

That KUSTOM looks very angry.

Sandgroper likes this.
  4. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Has this one been posted before?

50964077746_4ed4f2f247_k.jpg

Spoggie and Peanut 1959 like this.
  5. If he would had stretched the hood out forward 5 or 6" to line-up with the headlights, it might have a better curb appeal? Don't you think?????????????

6. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Not only ugly custom cars but homes and buildings suffered the same design problems. Of course there were some exceptions I guess.

A Boner and X38 like this.
  7. The “why are customs dying” thread reminded me of this thread.
    Bump

Speed Gems likes this.
  8. Wasn't there a magazine from Europe that had a section called Mauled Mercury's ?

9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Especially early in this thread, the offending cars identified are all builds done back in the day by notable builders. Ugly? Perhaps. Traditional? You bet your ass it is.

10. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

That was the Die hards newsletter put out by Gary Minor of San Leandro Calif....

Max Gearhead and Speed Gems like this.
  11. I do.
    The title and reason for it may not be of the best intentions but a lot of forgotten cars get some attention.
    It can both inspire a builder and possibly help a builder make decisions on mods.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

certainly not a Barris car. This car was built by Joe Bailon

TrailerTrashToo and Speed Gems like this.
  13. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

OMG

14. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

I would looking for some stock sheet metal.

15. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

As you own some beautiful customs, let me ask you this: how did some guys hit the nail right on the head and why did some guys just miss the mark completely? Talent? Skill? Vision? At some point in the build, Bailon had to have known that this was just ugly as sin.

DBruce likes this.
  16. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

really hard to say, taste, good or bad is pretty subjective and most people have a different idea of what looks good or bad. Mr Bailon had his own style and some of his cars have been labelled as ugly, but he is still the guy that invented candy paint and he did do some good looking cars too.....

drdave, DBruce and Sky Six like this.
  17. The “ugly” cars are still inspirational to some.
    For one, you may find an aspect you may like to incorporate into a build.
    Second, you may see an idea that doesn’t look as well as you imagined it.

18. SORRY!
    I couldn't help my self when I took a look at that one, LOL. But I must admit, it took a-lot of talent to pull it off. Many hours of work to....... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
  19. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You damn sure have to respect the amount of work and time it took to do these cars. They don't look any worse than the new challengers and corvettes to me. lol Lippy

20. Mark, if I'm not mistaken, this car was built by Bill Hines, not Joe Bailon.

Mick

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

22. I suspect that some of these cars may have reflected owner ideas... If you're paying the bill, you have some say. But Hines does seem to be responsible for more than his fair share of ugly cars...

23. joemac05

joemac05

I need a little help here but I think there were points in car show competitions for the number and complexity of the mods rather than how someone thought they might look.

The car in question looks much better in some of the other pictures shown in the links actually. Different paint jobs and picture angles. The picture in question probably show it at it's worst.

Does the car still exist today?

24. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yes it exists and it was restored back to the white version, this is a recent pic
    hines.jpg

25. Sorry, but this version is not better than the red one at all.
    This car needs a flashy paintjob, maybe gold and some good looking wheels and wide whites. With those fake spokes it looks like a 70s fiberglass abdomination.

Finally the top needs to be white or red.

Spoggie and jimmy six like this.
  26. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^^Is that f**king gross or what? I didn’t think any one could ruin a 61 Sunliner in such a way. It’s from the please “don’t show me” state…^^^^^

DBruce and Stan Back like this.
  28. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd bet that car had a minor front-end collision, and when the owner found out what it would cost to fix it back to stock specs, he decided, "Let's make a "custom"!".. Too bad it didn't work out.:eek:

jimmy six likes this.