Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '55 Ford CV speedo problem

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by mbjeeper, Mar 8, 2021.

1. mbjeeper

mbjeeper

Working on a '55 Crown Victoria.
    The owner passed away a year or so ago, and the car was sitting. The son wants the car gone over to make it safe and drivable. Wiring nightmare.
    The problem is the speedometer. It was not working when I got the car. The odometer did work.
    I disassembled, cleaned, lubed (3 in 1 oil, lightly applied), and reassembled.
    A test drive showed the speedo and odometer working and apparently accurate.
    Wasn't able to test drive again due to big snows for about a month.
    Took it out again and speedo is not working again! Odometer does work.
    Took the unit out and checked for any mechanical interference, saw none. If I spin the unit with a square bit and a drill, it will move the needle smoothly.
    The speedometer cable spins freely when you drive the car without the unit installed.
    The cable seems fine, the unit seems fine, but when you assemble them, the speedo will not work.
    The cable is fully installed, and it is turning, as the odometer works.
    From what I understand, there is a magnet set up in the speedometer head that drives the needle. Why would it work on the drill (not at a real high speed), but not even budge when being driven by the cable?
    I have checked to see that the needle is free to move.
    Any ideas?
    Why would it work, and then stop working again?
    I'd really appreciate any input.
    Thanks,
    GB

2. squirrel

squirrel

is the inner part of the cable, longer than the outer part? ie, is the cable pushing on the moving part of the speedometer mechanism, when you tight up the nut?

olscrounger likes this.
  3. mbjeeper

mbjeeper

I just checked that. The cable was sticking out past the bell at the end of the sheath about a half inch, maybe a little less. I pushed the cable in as far as it would go, and it is now at about a quarter of an inch.
    Unfortunately there is a dead '56 Cadillac behind it right now, so I had to jack it up and try it. The needle is now moving, but it seems that it isn't accurate. Hard to judge with the rear on jack stands, but it seems like the speed isn't accurate.
    But I think that you are on to something!

If the needle is pressing too hard on the 'barrel' type mechanism, that could be it.
    Thanks a lot.
    I'm going to take the cable loose at the trans end and pull the cable toward the trans a little bit if I can.
    Many, many thanks!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

I caused that on mine by tightening the speedo/odometer mechanism too tightly into the housing.
    The very slight twist on the frame would make it bind, the needle would wobble at low speed etc.
    Backed the mounting nuts off a fraction and that solved it (mounted in rubber bungs).

Phil

olscrounger likes this.

5. I would talk to Rusty and tell him what it is and is not doing, He has repaired one for me and I purchased a NOS SW 1954 speedometer from him. HRP

https://www.speedoservice.com/

51504bat, jimmy six and PhilA like this.
  6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X2 on Rusty. He must have cornered the market on '54 Ford speedometers. He sold one to me a couple of months ago. Shipped it to me before asking for payment. Real stand up guy.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought a new cable from him, plastic covered and lined for my 56 Ford. Works unbelievably smooth thru a gear transmission for accuracy. Told me where to buy that too. Great service..

51504bat likes this.
  8. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

The OP sent the 55 Ford speedometer in and I got it checked out. The speed was not working due to loss of magnetism (we all have that problem when we get older).
    IMG_1050.JPG
    I tore it down and checked the magnet with a gauss meter before recharging it on the magneto magnet charger.
    IMG_1051.JPG IMG_1059.JPG
    Cleaned everything up and checked tolerances, lubricated everything up and reassembled the speedometer with a NOS odometer. IMG_1055.JPG IMG_1057.JPG
    Then demagnetized the magnet while the speedometer runs on the test bench to calibrate. IMG_1053.JPG IMG_1052.JPG IMG_1058.JPG
    Made up a new speedometer cable and housing and now it’s headed back to Greg.
    The lens is and old one I use for calibration, that’s why it’s all scratched up.
    I use a calibration computer to backup the old Stewart Warner 890 test bench in the background for fine tuning calibration.
    Thanks to all of you for the recommendation of my services.

Sent from my iPhone
    www.speedoservice.com
    Should I rush your rush job or the rush job I was rushing when you rushed in?

Elwood: There's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and we're wearing sunglasses.
    Joliet Jake: Hit it!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    squirrel, pprather and 51504bat like this.
  9. mbjeeper

mbjeeper

I received the rebuilt unit from Rusty at Speedometer Service. Very nice job.
    Installed the unit and new cable supplied by him into the car, and it works as smooth as silk.
    Very happy with the work, the turnaround time, and it was done at what I would consider a very reasonable price.
    Would certainly recommend Rusty at SpeedoService!
    Thanks to everyone for the help.
    Greg

pprather, 51504bat and olscrounger like this.