Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Through being cool?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sgtlethargic, Mar 7, 2021.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just remembered, the OP didn't think the '56 F100 was cool.........................

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Just throw it together, if it doesn`t flow. Then change it. Get it driveable, and change it if it doesn`t work. Make it pretty later. Here`s the body I`m starting with. So far I have gotten parts from about 15 different people. With lots more to go. Gonna make it driveable first. But I still need to get a motor and a frame. Then make it a roller. I knew what the finished look will be before I bought the body. You have to start somewhere or it will never get rolling. Scan0691.jpg

3. adam401

adam401

Hot rods always seem to evolve or change. My feelings are if it doesnt look cool it's pointless, if it never gets done its pointless and if its not faster than stock it isn't a hot rod.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  4. You have to be born cool! I know because I am a Cove Boy! Grew up in the Cove area of Stamford ct. we were born cool but would never say it . We just were Never talk about being cool or if your car is cool. Just be it .

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^Owning a finished '32 Roadster AND finished '32 5Window just adds to the coolness. :cool::cool::cool::cool:

(That is four Midnight Joe Sunglass Coolness points)

ct1932ford and hotrodjack33 like this.
  6. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Watch at the 1:01:43
    He makes a lot of sense.

7. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great reply. I had visions of a chopped up, reconfigured car...but I really like the idea of building something from "scratch" that never existed before. I'd look for a certain genre of car you like, and build your interpretation of it using the parts you have. Nothing could be "cooler" than that.:cool:

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot rodding IS about looking cool. Problem with looking cool is that it usually costs a lot of money. Not just in the Hot Rod world; new wheels for the daily, the right clothes, etc. Most people spend their entire life (and a lot of $$$) trying to look cool.

What's REALLY cool, is when someone does something creatively 'cool' to their car w/o spending a lot of money or breaking out the credit card.

adam401 likes this.
  9. mickeyc

mickeyc

I feel that a well turned out hot rod or custom is an art
    statement in the automotive world. Just as a fine drawing or
    painting. Its about the aspects of the build complementing
    one another to produce a pleasing visual flow. The components
    dont have to be the latest and the greatest or in our world the
    oldest and the greatest to meld together. Taking the time and effort
    to align panels, smooth rough surfaces and edges. Make wiring neat
    and tidy. Also taking the stance and tire relation into consideration
    has a large impact impact on the visual appeal of a vehicle. Large
    influxes of cash can go far as well. Effort and planning can
    produce excellent results for a reasonable investment. At least thats
    what I tell myself when monies are in short supply as often is the case.

X-cpe and hfh like this.
  10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Any car looks cool with my LEFT ARM hanging out...

Blues4U and Fabulous50's like this.
  11. Midnight Joe was as cool as it gets!

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Someone should collect all the stories, then make the movie, but there isn't an actor that could make it believable.

Bob

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

A very wise and wealthy man once told me: "if you buy dogs, you own dogs." Likewise, if you build an ugly, slow, weird piece of junk, then you will own an ugly, slow, weird, piece of junk.

If you can't afford to do it well, then you REALLY can't afford to do it wrong. Because you will be wasting your limited resources. I don't care how miserly you are, if you make it drivable, you will have a substantial sum of your time and money wasted on it. You won't want it, no one will want it. You won't be able to sell it and parlay the $ into a better project.

I'm not saying you can't do a low budget build. I'm saying especially if you do a low budget built, you need to be extra careful about its style. It needs to be a clean, good looking design, and perform well. If you achieve that, the lack of costly frills will be overlooked.

You cited an assumption that is a common mistake. That is, to keep it cheap, you want to use what you have on hand. That is the worst reason to use something. Some cars look like you drug a magnet thru a scrap pile and whatever stuck got welded together. Not all parts are compatible. T rails and Falcon doors? George Barris could have pulled it off somehow, but not on a cheap budget. Most people can't make totally incompatible parts work.
    My suggestion is:
    Plan the build very carefully, based on the T rails, or some other worthy part that you have. Draw it, or cut up prints of cars with a scissors and tape them together to get an idea what you will have. Pay close attention to style, stance and proportion. Work with it until you LOVE it. Sell off the incompatible parts, roll the funds into parts that will compliment your build quality, that you sought out killer deals on. Then build it. Use good workmanship, don't take shortcuts.

Then you will have something worthy of your effort, and it can still be very affordable. And it will have re-sale value.

14. gene-koning

gene-koning

Hemi Joel is right. You can build a fairly cheap car (relative term, $5K is considered a cheap car these days) that is cool, but you can't do it without a plan. spending money on the wrong parts, or on something you do not need will kill a budget fast. Using all the parts you have on hand, or using something you can buy just because its cheap, will most likely not be very cool, and it often requires a lot of work to make function. Mismatched parts often don't work well together either, and that often makes for something that isn't much fun to drive. A finished product that was costly, was hard to build, doesn't drive well, and isn't cool to look at, is pretty well a failure.

A good mock up that you can stand back and get a good look at is always helpful. I often start out doing just that. If it doesn't look cool to you, it probably won't look cool to anyone else either. Gene

The37Kid, 41 GMC K-18 and Hemi Joel like this.
  15. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Looking "cool" never did it for me.
    In the 50's we had a midget that didn't exactly confom to the accepted "look" but no one could beat us, even the Offy's. It Really pissed a lot of gold chainers off. Nowdays they have so many "Mickey Mouse rules", it is hard to innovate.

16. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Why would you bother wasting the time to build something that doesn't look cool?

That's really the ONLY thing it's about because if you say it's about anything else there are a million other cars doing it better than a traditional hot rod or Custom.

tiredford and Hemi Joel like this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

People say if you don`t have time to make it cool in the first place. When are you gonna find time later on to change it.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Apparently 'Cool' has changed in my world. After a lifetime of hot rods and horse power, last weekend at cars and coffee I was fawning over big old bulbous cars, especially a '61 Bentley for sale. Maybe because I'm now big old and bulbous and need a matching car. :(
    upload_2021-3-9_5-12-54.jpeg

Blues4U, X-cpe, mickeyc and 4 others like this.
  19. low down A

low down A

i think every person that every built a rat rod thought the same thing, cheap and cool, obviously it must be very hard to do. but then you do have falcon hubcap's

20. goldmountain

goldmountain

21. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I never built a hotrod that I didn't want it to be cool. I also never cared if it appealed to everyone who saw it, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't care if anyone else liked it. I think almost every normal car builder wants people to appreciate what they've spent months or years building. I don't care about trophies, or how it's judged by the average person. But I do care how other diehard car guys see my builds, and if they don't like everything I've done on it, that's OK too.
    I build my cars for myself, but I still want a certain look, and it has to fit into my budget.

hfh, ClarkH, Hemi Joel and 1 other person like this.
  22. Is your idea of cool financially unreasonable with your available money? If so, are you willing to commit a lot of time to realize your cool dream? These are questions you need to ponder.
    In my case I knew there was no way I was gonna just go buy a 33-34 ford coupe but I absolutely wasn't gonna settle for less. I 'd had a string of pretty cool cars but I totally committed to building a 33-34 coupe. Sold off all my other projects, worked as much overtime I could at work to help finance my cool dream. Bought a piece of shit body from one guy and traded an old Studebaker for the 34 chassis. I was friends with a super capable body man and I did his mechanical work while he put the 34 body together....spent very little time away from my family but just enough so my wife found something to do on Friday nights while I worked on the body....all this took 8 years. I put the chassis together over a year and a half in my home garage.
    It's in urethane primer but in my mind it's cool. It's just what I wanted and when I drive past buildings with big windows, I watch myself and my car in the reflection and think.....this is cool.
    DON'T GIVE UP! 34 5_20.jpg 34atjimmys11_20.jpg

Blues4U, tiredford, Rickybop and 17 others like this.
  23. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Is there a way to hit the like button more than once?

bajabob, The37Kid and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  24. Everyone has a different idea of cool, they loosely group together around their subject matter and then argue amongst themselves what’s cool then sub divide again. Then the “idea” of cool will change so what was cool eventually won’t be cool anymore until it’s cool again

Look at 4dr cars for example. Some think they are cool, some think those people are crazy.

wraymen and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  25. gene-koning

gene-koning

The idea of what is cool changes as we get older.
    Some people are more accepting, but others are a lot more rigid as they grow older. Some are concerned about how other car guys view their ride where others are more concerned with how the general public views their ride. The good news is there is very likely some people that think your ride will be cool besides you, but you may have to change the heading under which you label your ride. If your not concerned about the "label" you ride may get, its a lot easier to find people that think its cool. Hanging with people that think you ride is cool is a lot more fun. Gene

hfh likes this.
  26. Looks ? And thumbs up while I'm driving ? I just don't waist time on opinions when I can be driving and enjoying what's back on the street breathing again.....

210superair likes this.
  27. trevorsworth

trevorsworth
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I kinda love that '49 Plymouth. Has a real "Road Warrior" thing going on, not like what they're calling rat rods today... very purposeful yet just slapdash enough to look dangerous. The scoop looks like a civil defense siren - era appropriate for sure.

28. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

I don’t believe I was ever cool.....ever, but I have always been comfortable with who I am.....comfortable in my own skin as it were.

wraymen and The37Kid like this.
  29. "Cool is a state of mind"...

ekimneirbo likes this.
  30. Everyone has their own definition of "cool". My vision for the T is a period that mostly appeals to fans of "old school". Some of my friends and family don't understand why I got rid of the wide tires and aluminum slots, and why I removed the short pick up bed. They don't get why I'm going to paint out the "purple pearl" for gloss black. That is because this is my vision, what I want, and what I define as "cool". We will never appeal to the "unwashed masses"!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    metalhead140 and chevy57dude like this.