Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects “You don’t know what you got until it’s gone .... or forget

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Apr 15, 2020.

1. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Actually what I loose the most are my glasses. I need to hang a mirror in the shop cause they are usually perched on my head!:oops::oops: lol Larry

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. safetythird

safetythird

I can't find my dashboard.

How did I lose it? It's HUGE.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Have you looked in your car?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My Father-in-Law called it Some-zheimer's...not quite All-zheimer's, but Some.

My mind is a "inventory steel trap" when it comes to what I have. I know EVRYTHING I own...I just don't happen to know WHERE it is most of the time:mad:

5. safetythird

safetythird

Yes :p

No sign of it.

I must have put it somewhere safe. :mad:

hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

We should get together, I have 3 or 4 shop vac hoses but just one shop vac. ;)

hotrodjack33 and mad mikey like this.
  7. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

8. wicarnut

wicarnut

Thanks guys, you make me feel better. I used to get pretty irritated at myself for the things that are happening with age, age is my excuse/story and I'm sticking to it. These days I laugh at myself and my favorite expression now is " It Is What It Is "

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I tend to have a place for everything, and everything is in it's place; and, I remember where I put things for the most part. But, today I was looking for the "paperwork" for a flat tappet, solid lifter cam, I installed in my "spare" 327 in about 1990. In my defense, I wrote the specs down on a yellow Post-it note sheet, and it was last in the drawer of my shop desk. I really need that to set the valve lash, and of course, I don't remember what the specs were. This was a cam and kit I bought from PAW (we all remember them and their catalogs); it's a Super Stock Industries (PAW "house brand cam"?). 10342 is their part number if anyone has an old catalog, that hopefully will tell the specs. And, I can't find the old PAW catalog either; I always kept it around just for parts numbers and such; I have a file box I keep all my catalogs in. I'm doing everything I can to fight this aging thing, but DANG, it ain't playing fair!!! I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    mad mikey likes this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

It’s especially not fair to you and it shows because you sign off on every post with your name just so that you can remember who you are. ;):D:D

mad mikey and Budget36 like this.
  11. I always tell my wife that I am going to go first so I don't have to clean up all my junk.

49ratfink likes this.
  12. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Like most of us here, I also belong to several other automotive sites. One of them can get kind of "rough" at times. One of those times, someone did't like what I had to say, and asked who the @#$% I thought I was, and went on and one about it. So, I told him who I was, Butch/56sedandelivery. Then I started signing off on that site that way for every posting, and it eventually just got to the point where it was easier to just do it with all the sites. That's the story on that. There is only one site that I don't sign off that way, and it's because I have a different handle on that site; well that, and my handle there is the same as someone here on the HAMB. No need to cause even more confusion.
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  13. spanners

spanners

You blokes that come across drill presses packed away do realize the warranty is probably up?

14. Our wives are getting a lot of credit in this thread, it seems. I have to agree that my wife can and does find things for me when I'm at my wit's end. BUT..... when it comes to her stocking up the pantry and refrigerator, she regularly has multiple, partial jars, squeeze bottles, cartons, etc. of the exact same condiment and wilted vegetables...... sometimes 3 generations are on parade.
    This is not a gender thing, guys. It's universal. :rolleyes:

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

No worries, tough to hurt a drill press. My dad bought one from PostTool (kind of a precursor to HF over here) 40 years ago, motor didn’t have enough ooomph so he put on 1 HP motor to bore some 1 1/4 holes.
    A few months ago I had to put a new roll pin in the lever assy as it sheared off.

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  16. Budget36

Budget36

You guys are lucky, when I was married I used to have a habit of bringing in a wrench or two and some nuts/bolts and laying them down in the house (still have arhat habit). Then a few days later go looking for them and couldn’t remember where I put them.
    Eventually I’d find my stuff in ziplock bags in some obscure place.
    Thing was when I’d ask her she really had no idea what she was bagging up, heck, could have been an armature or a 9/16th wrench....not really her fault but dang.
    Lots of projects were delayed, but the house was always clean and in order!

17. phat rat

phat rat

Speaking of large items making a piles foundation, I was once in a decent size garage and there was this huge, I mean huge, pile in the garage. It turned out a fire engine was the foundation for that pile.
    Losing things is something I do all the time but generally I find it in a short time others not so short if ever.
    Budget, I hear you on the wife putting things away. If it's sat down in the house it may take a long time to come across it again. Especially when I don't remember that I brought it in the house

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...or "it is WHERE it is"..and I can't find it:mad:

wicarnut and Budget36 like this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

who buys a drill press and doesn't even take it out of the box? for that matter who buys a drill press that fits in a box?

20. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I love this thread and have put things in a “safe place” only to never be found again but the one thing that has been a running joke for myself and a couple friends from high school (New Hampshire) was a car I bought (1977) and stashed at Ricks dads place on Tate street beside the garage. It was an OT 60’s Mercury I was gonna work on but I was in high school and didn’t get to it. Moved to Connecticut, Florida and back to Connecticut and just “forgot” about the car. Rick hits me up in 2001/2002 and said his dad passed and he was cleaning up around his property and said he found my old car sitting in the same place for almost 25 years.

Cliff Ramsdell

PS, It was complete crap, nothing left below the sills front to back.

21. ken bogren

ken bogren

It annoys me no end that my ever changing "safe place" always thinks we're playing hide and seek!

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Many years after we pulled the flatbed trailer up to a Wilmington, CA scrap yard with the remnants of our 1940 Willys Coupe hot rod/drag race car, my brother and I always talked about what we did in our teens. It was the first big time build that drew us in deep into the hot rod world and drag racing was the flame that attracted our interests.
    upload_2021-4-7_4-5-46.png 1960
    But, the thing was, by the time I drove away from that scrapyard with my friend, Atts Ono, my brother was in the hospital. Our discussions then were that we looked back at a chapter in our lives that was coming to a close. The Willy Coupe was one great starting project with its pristine chrome bumpers, twin grille, headlights and all chrome accessory parts.

The body was a hot rod dream, in that the fenders and body did not need any work, except for some light sanding prior to the primer paint. All of the parts worked, lights, brakes, dash lights and we had one of the only Willys Coupes in our Long Beach area. (During this time, Atts Ono found another Willys Coupe in the same neighborhood and he started his immaculate build.)

Jnaki

During my brother’s recovery from the dragstrip accident, we kept thinking that what we left at the scrapyard, plenty of people would have killed to get their hands on the pristine parts still left from the remnants of the Willys Coupe. After giving it some thought on the way to the scrapyard, we decided that was it. Finally, while moving the left over parts onto the gravel yard surface, we both decided that it was an end of a chapter and it was better left closed.

But, even our friend, did not want any parts, as it gave both of us tearing out the running gear and necessary functioning parts, a funny feeling of doom. We left a shell of a street legal, Gas Coupe on the flatbed trailer, then on the dusty lot of the scrap yard. And much later, listening to Joni Mitchell’s song from the Big Yellow Taxi:

upload_2021-4-7_4-9-41.png
    upload_2021-4-7_4-10-49.png

41 GMC K-18 and Budget36 like this.
  23. manyolcars

manyolcars

My friend and I were working on something on the workbench and Sat a part down then couldn't find it. Our feet never moved so it had to be in arms reach but we never did find it

clem likes this.
  24. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My inlaws inherited his aunts house when she passed at 103. She had spent the last 10 years in an assisteed living
    facility,, prior to that she had been a hoarder. Whole cleaning out her bedroom my wife found 1000 dollars in cash
    in a pile of old bills, Her father remembered her claiming it had been stolen, she had taken it out of the bank to have cash to pay the oil man. Who knows how much was tossed out when be were cleaning it out for sale?

25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2023-7-18_4-10-45.png 1959-60
    Hello,

In the months up to August 1960, I had taken several rolls of film of our 1940 Willys. While in its Stromberg carburetor on 283 SBC stage to the newly rebuilt 671 supercharger stage with a larger 292 SBC blower spec motor parts. There were pits shots and hard charging runs at Lion’s Dragstrip, etc.

Years later, I gathered all of those films and transferred them to VHS… remember those wide self-enclosed tape cartridges? Now, we could watch them on our home TV screens as small as they were. Our large screen movie projector era was gone and now we watched various VHS tapes. So, it was a done deal when my brother came to visit us in Orange County from his digs in Santa Barbara. The film on VHS gave us something to talk about and enjoy our time together.

Then many years passed and when my brother was in his last stages, he requested a viewing of our 40 Willys Coupe films. So, the next time we went up to Santa Barbara, we took that VHS tape for our visit. Over the weeks of visits, we should have rented rooms for longer stays. We sat in his room and watched the film over and over, talked about a ton of stuff like we used to do, but this was our final point of being together. We were supposed to go back the following week, but he was gone.

The video showed the Willys accelerating away from the side view spectator’s side of the dragstrip. We watched it together and enjoyed that discussion as if it would continue on like we always did when we got together for a brotherly gab-fest.

But, when I left that last time, he said he was going to watch the film several more times. We both laughed and said goodbye. When we arrived a few weeks later for the service, his wife and kids did not know where the VHS tape was located. In the anxious moment of cleaning out the hospice room, his family said it got misplaced, somewhere.

I told myself in 2015 that all of my films from 1957 to 64 plus surfing films would be digitized for safe keeping in my current files. But, when I got the full batch of digital files and the original film reels back from the digital transfer company, there were no film clips of the 40 Willys. I looked in my film reel location storage box and nothing resembled the films of the Willys.

Jnaki

So, either I misplaced the original film reel from lack of use or viewing someplace between three house moves. The current film clip of the Willys Coupe was in early 1960 that was taken by another So Cal drag racing photographer. He just happened to be there at Lion’s Dragstrip during one of our race days.

The missing films are a mystery that I have been trying to solve over and over. So, either I lost the original films or they are hiding in another memorabilia box in the attic confines. They definitely are not in the original metal film reel office storage box. I recently checked again for the millionth time, during the latest, office clean out and reorganizing event at our house. One day... I will find them.
    upload_2023-7-18_4-20-17.png The old brain memory cells can't be that bad!!! HA!

Someone saved paradise, but… they did put up a parking lot of sorts... YRMV

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.