Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rust-oleum paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by birdman1, Mar 4, 2021.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

There was a magazine article a few years ago, might have been HR, about Rustoleom painting, and the example car was a red Charger, that came out pretty good with a little blocking and polishing.
    The inexpensive TSC type paint does tend to fade pretty bad if kept outside, the red for the Farmalls can turn a shade like the submarine in Operation Petticoat

2. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Nope was on Moparts.com by 69Chargeryeehaw aka Martin from Toronto Canada.
    He did his Charger and VW Beetle with Tremclad Real Orange alkyd enamel.
    Sponge rollers, paint thinned, wet sand every 2nd coat buff and polish after 6 to 8 thin coats.
    He was the creator of this about 15 years ago...

Copper Top and swade41 like this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

4. Every damn time, just like a car can't drive without front shocks, when I posted videos of this same car doing it, they said the road was to smooth so I made another video on rough road, then they reported my post and had the videos removed.

It's a lot of labor like was mentioned earlier but it saves a lot of money you can put somewhere else in the car, I did the Henry J the same way, white is roller and the panels are rattle can.

100_7044_zps837ccad6.jpg 100_6990.jpg 20180123_161304.jpg

5. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

6. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I painted my OT , Power Wagon with new Rust Oleum boat paint , it’s UV protected . Roller and a brush , it’s a work truck driven everyday , doing work . It’s holding up well and , for what it is looks great .

Blues4U and Flat Six Fix like this.
  7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I haven’t got to it yet but the paint is bought and I’m going to roll this guy.
    I did roll the trailer and it came out nice(although it wasn’t fully painted in this picture). E018386C-D27A-41CD-935C-AA7016476768.jpeg

swade41 and Blues4U like this.
  8. birdman1

birdman1

I've painted many Farmalls through the years, and genuine IHC paint is better than the farm store paints and about $ 70 a gallon compared to $35 for the farm store paints. Remember, I want it to look like a cheap dirt car paint job. Believe me, I can do cheep looking paint jobs! Thankyou for the help, Henry scheffler Harlan Iowa

alanp561 and AVater like this.
  9. Fry

Fry
    from SK, Canada

Rustoleum frame and body. Just rattle can though.
    88F410EE-A558-418E-B34E-63B445364FBB.jpeg

swade41, Blues4U and Hotrodmyk like this.
  10. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

My 29 is painted with the JD Blitz Black. Very durable and easy to touch up if the need presents itself. Sells by the gallon or spray can.

11. Maybe Fitzee can help you. Here in Canada we have Tremclad which is pretty well the same as Rustoleum which we also get. .

Blues4U likes this.
  12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, the International Red has changed a few times, but IIRC the old (#50?) alkyd style is still available, seems like the latest n greatest is #2150

13. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Here's all you need, Paint Job on Paupers Budget

Attached Files:

14. I have a copy of the Hot Rod magazine article, they painted a 1960 Falcon with white Rustoleum and a foam roller and foam brushes for the tight spots. No spray gun at all but did thin the paint. Cut and buffed then spray canned scallops in red. Car looked good in the magazine pictures and cost around $100 for paint, thinner, rollers and masking supplies. Did several coats (6 I think) and a lot of sanding between every other coat.

15. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

The '73 GMC.
    I used a small foam roller, applied the paint, wait for the bubbles to settle down and went over it with the same roller to level it out.

Attached Files:

Flat Six Fix likes this.
  16. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yup that's how it's done and it looks good.
    Coach painting with badger hair brushes in the UK was an art.
    It would be super glossy level and looked sprayed. Rolls Royce cars were brush painted once upon a time.

17. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I've used the IH rattle cans for many years, still have a few I think out in the shop, not sure if they're any good any more. I worked for a IH dealership in the service dept (it was International Hough when I worked for them but we still worked on all the Farmall equipment around here; then it became Dresser Equipment, then Komatsu Dresser Co, then just Komatsu; but it was Int Harvester when my dad worked for them). And I sprayed quite a few dozers and other machines with the construction equipment yellow. It was/is good paint, but that was several decades ago, I doubt you can buy the same paint these days here in CA.

18. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

I restored this '59 Crestliner Commodore Speedster last summer. Everything is Rust Oleum rattle can, except for the bottom paint, which is Ace brand rattle can (it was a little cheaper and I will be touching it up more often). I stripped it all to aluminum and hit it with a good coat of RustO brand self-etching primer to start with. I haven't had it on the water yet since winter came before I was done.

Attached Files:

Blues4U likes this.
  19. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

My old 4wd Lincoln was painted with Rustoleum flat black. When I mixed it I thinned it with acetone then added tractor supply majic hardener (just don’t use Majic paints, I had problems with it staying gooey). The imperial was painted the same way using Rustoleum professional gloss back only I clear coated it using whatever junk clear coat I had on hand

Attached Files:

20. Morgan Milstead

Morgan Milstead

There’s an MEL engine in it. Awesome!