Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1940's V8 Rear-end in a Model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Haynes, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Looking for input on installing the stronger V8 Rear-end into my 1930 Model A. I am looking for the length the drive shaft must be shortened to so all fits well.

2. alchemy

alchemy

I'd recommend fitting the engine and trans first, then cutting the torquetube to span the gap. You might take the opportunity to scoot the engine forward or back to fit the compartment best.

3. The engine and trans are in the original position. I'm just wanting to put a stronger rear end in due to the HP of the engine being more than doubled. RiLEY equipped Banger into '39 box.

4. alchemy

alchemy

Be aware of different length torquetubes over the years, and the first years of vee eight even had different diameter of banjo, which makes the snout closer to the trans. Best just to measure from centerline on your A axle to the end of the torquetube and make the new one match.

Packrat likes this.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Yep^^^when I put a quick change in my ‘30 coupe I asked around asking for measurements the other guys Ended up with when they did the same swap. Asked several guys all had different measurements. I ran a stock Model a rear for a good while behind an 8BA with no broken parts or sheared keys.
    Edit: You are already doing the extra work why not spend a little more and go with a quick change in it?

6. I will be running a Mitchell in the tube. That will be enough gears.

7. Mount it, measure it and modify it.
    Go on others measurements and you may be disappointed.

8. I dont have an answer but I run a Riley 4 port with an A rear end. No problems yet and I am in the process of changing to a Halibrand quick change that is still based on the A rear end. You might be over thinking this as your horse power has to get through transmission and the Mitchell before it gets to the rear. By the time it gets to the rear you might have lost 20 to 25 percent hp.

ClarkH likes this.
  9. 36and63

36and63
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Wisconsin

Barrelnose pickup likes this.