Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lowering my 32 Chevrolet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Mar 5, 2021.

1. I want to lower my 32 chev without installing the dropped axle..It has 7 leaves in the springs....Anyone ever remove 4 leaves and then flip the springs? I would like to do the same in the rear the car is way over sprung now anyway.....I plan on using my rebuilt mechanical brakes and running smaller wheels. Im trying to do a late 30's early 40's go job....I have a 6" drop and juice brakes but I decided with all the new brakes in it already why go juice when the old stuff is new intact and cool....If Im crazy just tell me... Thanks guys! 20210226_112308.jpg

TFoch and tb33anda3rd like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

Flip the springs? Do you mean reverse the main leaf?

Have you checked the alignment of all the mechanical brake linkage when the car is lower?

3. catdad49

catdad49

Al, Chevy was more advanced than Ford as they had hydraulic brakes by then.

Lil32 likes this.
  4. The 32 has mechanical brakes ..and yes I meant reverse them...Im willing to modify the mech brake rods and shorten the pivots if necessary...

5. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

The Chevy has a flex cable from the frame to the backing plate, so shouldn't be an issue. Can flip the main leafs, but will most likely need to have them re-arched in the other direction to have a leaf with a little "correct" arch and reversed eyes. I would probably try using the first 4 leafs and add a 5th if needed. If you don't re-arch the main back the other way, once compressed, it may end up being too long and cause the shackle to be in a bind/at the end of it's rearward travel. You could also send the axle out and have it dropped. Would recommend no more than 3", as any more will make the ends small and weak, unless you use a later chevy 1/2 axle, then 4" is good. The later 1/2 ton is a little wider, but narrows once dropped to a good width/track.

TFoch and Kellys Hot Rod Parts like this.
  6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Just hang the springs under the axle .... you won't have any travel left anyway, no matter what you do. Installing leaves upside down is a really bad idea ...

7. If the axle is on top of the spring theres only about an inch of travel room..

8. grumpy65

grumpy65

Anything you do while using the stock axle will be much the same clearance-wise. Very limiting to the lowering process.
    Soooo............ dropped axle not such a bad idea afterall. Maybe not the tube axle though. Sell both to fund a dropped beam axle and life will be easier...;)

https://droppedaxles.com/chevy-dropped-axles-0

XXL__ likes this.
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Right ... you learn to drive very carefully. If that won't work for you, you may need a Ford.

10. I have had 5 32 fords ..and still have this ...The 32 chevy is my first..Buggy spung fords are to easy..lol

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  11. Well I cut the frame and gained more travel I now have 3 inches with that 1965 194 six that should work...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
    RMR&C and TFoch like this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

You could try using that axle laying on the floor.

13. Cool car! Nice to see you keep and use all of the Chevy parts.

14. Nice Chevy!

15. scoop

scoop

Can you have the axle dropped?