Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Car You Wanted to Build But Never Did

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rotten ron, Mar 5, 2021.

1. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

It was 1957. I was 14 years old and had $60 and was able to buy a non-running 1950 Chevy hard top. I only had it a couple of days as my Dad thought I was too young to have a car much less take it apart and make it a custom. He didn't want junk around the house. So, I took it back and got a $30 refund. Been losing money on cars ever since. I spent a lot of time dreaming on how I would have customized that car to my liking. I re-built it hundreds of times. What made me think about the Chevy again was a picture I saw in a book I just bought. This is the way I would have liked it to come out. Nosed Cad hubcaps, Cad bumpers, skirts and lowered. Perhaps in another life.
    IMG_3243.JPG
    The Chevy shown was owned by Howard Clarkson a member of the Monarchs Car Club in Ventura, CA. Picture taken in early 50s. This picture was lifted from Tony Bakers book "Hot Rodding in Ventura County."

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    hotrodjack33, Budget36, bowie and 8 others like this.
  2. dwollam

dwollam

'51 Ford Victoria. I had 2 of them and ended up trading them off as I couldn't afford to do them at the time. I did however get my '51 Ford club coupe back after 32 years so that helped a ton so no longer need the Vicky's.

Dave

hotrodjack33, rotten ron and Stogy like this.
  3. I bought a 55 Bel Air 2 door hardtop not long after I got married, about 1973. I only had 100 bucks in it and it was really pretty nice for the price. No engine or trans but it already had diamond tuft Naugahyde interior with chrome window moldings. Black on black and really solid. But life got in the way and I had to let it go to someone else when I moved. I think I would still have it if I could have gotten over the hump at that time.

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

I always wanted to build a 49-50 Olds coupe with a big 394, a Hydro, radiused rear fender openings and slicks. I was willing to settle for the same treatment done to a 49-50 Pontiac but with a 389 or 421. I never found the right Olds but I did negotiate for a basket case 50 Pontiac a few years ago but we just couldn't agree on a price. I have a racy Pontiac motor sitting in the shop.

B Bay Barn, Saxman, dwollam and 3 others like this.

5. My 1933 Willys coupe with all of the very nice sheet metal that I had acquired, but a divorce forced me to sell to keep my house, and my sons with me.

6. In 1962 I bought a 1932 Ford coupe from our neighbor at the ripe old age of 12 years old, I only owned it a few hours but my dad told me I was too young and I had no business buying anything without his approval.

I believe that experience is what sparked that Deuce flame with me.

I didn't get to build that car but more than 50 years later I did get another 5 window, actuall I have had 2 since that first one.

As far as a car I wanted, I have never been a Chevy guy bit a '55 Chevy 210 post car w/t a sbc and a 4 speed would be fun. HRP

7. lake_harley

lake_harley

I guess I could still pursue building a close copy/clone one of my favorite cars the Tweedy Pie, but I don't know if I'll ever get around to it. Heaven knows I already have a lot of the major things to build my version. I'd probably be better to describe what I'd build as a T that would be similar but not trying to really duplicate Big Daddy Roth's car. Have some other plans for my next project and I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Lynn

Ed-roth-tweedy-pie4.jpg

8. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have 2.
    1– a chopped merc kustom. I had a sweet solid 51 but just didn’t have the funds at the time to do what I wanted to do to it.
    2– an Anglia. I’ve known of one sitting in a barn in Kansas since I was about 15 (now54) guy will not get rid of it. Sure is a waste of a good car just sitting there.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  9. I have a 1949 Lincoln EL coupe I bought back in 2003. Plan was to build a custom but I didn’t have the cash to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. I started my Dream Vision as a teenager with the Small Pages and a local 36 Ford 3 window that was all Chromed out, Black Tuck-n-Roll and didn't run any hood. Dang, all those Carbs and those Pipes, I was beyond help. I have owned and still do all 4 of the starting points of being in Heaven for over 40 years. I've built many Practice versions of all 4 of them over my career and every once in a while I actually would make some progress on each of them. Once Retirement was in reach I knew my turn would soon come. Well that date has come and gone. Personal time is a very elusive Rat in that when it gets here I need a little rest and once I'm back at it, the time is gone with the wind. Lucky for me I do have a few other toys I can fire up and Smoke the tires on. I don't loose much sleep over not working on them, I do it for pleasure not a mission. I think this year I'll hire a yard service and when they are here I'll spend equal time in the shop. At least I'll have a schedule when that time will be, oh and I'm going to stop getting Hair cuts, there's another 3 hours a week. I'm done with take a number and wait. Now if I could only find someone to take the Wife grocery shopping, Dang I hate that but I do like eating.

rotten ron, hotrodjack33 and Stogy like this.
  11. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

In my youth, there was a 1956 Chevy sedan delivery in a backyard a block up the alley from us. Mr. Hamby wanted a lot of money for it at the time and it just always seemed out of reach. I had a ‘56 two door that I could barely afford to keep going as a teenager, so it just wasn’t happening. The last time that I saw it was years later in a neighboring town and it was being reworked. Never did see how it came out.

I had envisioned it with a 327 backed by a Muncie and a 4.11 posi. Bright orange with American 200S wheels. All black interior and my name on the title

Decades later, a sedan delivery is still out of my grasp (at present). I’m not giving up yet as I enter the fourth quarter of my life. For now, I have a couple of 1/25rh scale sedan delivery conversions and a stack of Nomad kits to practice building that dream.

hotrodjack33, rotten ron and Stogy like this.
  12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh...Lets see...I had a 39 Chev Tudor, a 39 Buick Coupe, a few Model A's, fuck I'm lazy...:eek:...so I bought a turn key built by a Hamber that has his Head well entrenched in Vintage Hotrod and has the magic and wherewithal to do what I failed at and then some...:oops:...I always congratulate others on these milestones...as I sure can appreciate what they accomplished...;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    hotrodjack33, Budget36 and rotten ron like this.
  13. Finding and/or building a 426 Hemi isn't easy.........

hotrodjack33, KKrod and rotten ron like this.
  14. It was a 33 Vicky. Bought it and did a concept drawing then sold it before building it.
    The yellow one in this picture. Vaun_0010.jpg
    Concept!
    artshow 013.jpg

15. Doesn't seem to be a shortage of them on line but finding one a normal person can buy seems to be the problem.

16. Grease348

Grease348

I was about thirteen and there was a 1933 or 1934 ford roadster out behind a used car lot near my home. They wanted $600 for it. It was rough but it was stripped with an Olds engine in it. At the time I was working at a car wash after school making 1.35 an hour part time. I saw that car every day for months. But I couldn’t afford it and had no where to keep it. After some time it was gone. I’m sure it was the same vehicle showed up at the 1st street rod nationals in Baltimore county in 1971 or 1972. Still kicking myself in the butt. Thank you for letting me vent...Steve

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, hotrodjack33, Budget36 and 2 others like this.
  17. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A '36 Chevy with a flathead Ford in it.

18. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My dream car was always a '36 Ford 3 window. I finally got it and the race is on to see if I can get it finished before I die !

19. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

A front motor fuel dragster... To old now....

Stogy, hotrodjack33 and rotten ron like this.
  20. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

1955 Nomad was the coolest car my neighbor drag raced an he flat towed it with a 57 Nomad . That guy was just so cool and those were the neatest cars but man I loved that 55

Spoggie, hotrodjack33 and rotten ron like this.
  21. My wife came home one day and told me about an “old car” for sale in town, I went to look and bought the 1938 Ford standard Tudor and had it flat bedded home. I immediately called my Dad and told him to come see what I bought him, he pulled up, looks at it and stated that 38s were the uglies cars that Ford ever made. So much for that, but my son , about 5 at the time decided it was to be his. It sat in the back yard for about a year as my 36s were in the garage, till one day against the little guys wishes, it went on it’s way to a new owner in Princeton Illinois. That was the first one! Then one day a couple years ago I fell into a 1925 Dodge Brothers touring for a deal I could not pass up. Car #2?for my now 25year old son, he was pumped and had a prewar build all planned out,,,UNTIL, his employment /life plans changed and he wasn’t going to be able to foot the bill and me being retired on a fixed income, the poor little car went to a new owner. That’s it I believe for planning on anymore builds for me. Mitch.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    rotten ron likes this.
  22. wicarnut

wicarnut

Curious ? What's stopping you now, if building is not feasible, age/health /space/ ambition, buy one that's close to Enjoy. IMO, Life is not a dress rehearsal, Words of wisdom from my parents, "There Are No Excuses, Make It Happen" I've owned my dream cars as a kid and through my adult life because I took their advice, has served me well, passed this onto my children, working for them. Good Luck ! I checked your profile. see you're 77, Congrats ! You made the curve/avg age baby boomer life expectancy. everyday now is a plus. You Can't take it ($$$) with you, Go Shopping.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  23. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Always Wanted To Do One Of These With Rochester Injection/4 Gear Muncie... an1115-226723_1@2x.jpg

24. Agree and at 19 yrs old in 1976 I bought my first house as I'd been out on my own since 17 with a good factory job. Had a lead on one or two but not a big bank roll for my 65 Belvedere....a 440/4 speed was good enough for fun !

Stogy likes this.
  25. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Early 60s I bought a 26 2 door T complete with fenders and hauled it home and already had the engine located, Pontiac Tempest 195 with the optional 4V carb that I planned to build as a full fendered tall T with a hood covering that cool little Poncho, but alas my dad came home from work and told me in no uncertain terms to get that out of his garage! He couldn't understand my desire to build a hot rod as his thinking was that a car was just transportation, not something fun. I did manage however to sell the T and a couple of turtle decks that I had drug home for a profit.

Stogy and cktasto like this.
  26. cktasto

cktasto

55’ nomad in the driveway the school bus went by every morning. I lusted for that car for years. Turned 16 had 1,000 saved (1976) and a dor sale sign appeared in its window. The guy wanted 1,000. Went to look at it with my dad and he said no (it was hot rodded with mags,327, 4 speed). I was crushed. Ultimately bought a 68’ canaro that i wrecked drag racing. In hind sight my dad saved a 55’ nomad but i remembr being pretty sore at him

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy likes this.
  27. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

wicarnut The 1950 chevy was the dream of a 14 year old boy not a 77 man. Like you I have more than my share of my dream cars. Ron

wicarnut likes this.
  28. wicarnut

wicarnut

rotten ron, your thread got me thinking again, I retired at 62, thinking I would do a complete build Kustom 49/51 Mercury, have the shop/equipment/some skills/ etc., just never got started, I could not believe the prices of junk to start with and ended up buying a mild Kustom 51 Mercury that I have spent time/money making it my own and a reliable cruiser. I drive my hobby (3 for me and wife 1) cars a fair amount in summer. Another thought on this subject, I've liked Corvettes from the beginning, never got around to buying one and thinking maybe now's the time, going to go sit in one to see if I can get in/out of it, we have a OT Camaro ragtop I/we purchased new, now a very nice survivor car and don't drive it much as it's a bitch for me to get in/out, Uncle arthritis lives with me for many years now. Have a Great Day !

0NE BAD 51 MERC and rotten ron like this.
  29. rotten ron

rotten ron
    BANNED

Wicarnut I know what you are talking about. I have two cars I drive very little. My truck 1938 International kills my arthritic knee and my 1960 Porsche outlaw I can not get in and out of knee also. Going next week to get it replaced. Ron

30. Don't have one any longer. Can truthfully say I have built my dream cars.

My Willys gasser. Have had it since 1964, been 'built' since 1995. Will be buried in it!!!
    1-DSC_7837-1024x678.jpg

X-frame Chevy. Built with/for grandson.
    P1010528.JPG

'42 Willys. Built with/for friend.
    March Meet.jpg

Reproduction of Ed Roth Mysterion. Now resides @ Stahl's auto museum in Michigan.
    04-mysterion-big-daddy-roth.jpg