Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest It's my HAMBaversary 20 years...WOW!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jethro, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah , I've been here 20 years now.
    Actually there was a previous HAMB before this one where I joined to find info about an old Edelbrock intake I had. I was trying to find out about an Edelbrock XC8 cross ram for a SBC. I contacted Edelbrock , they were no help. I tried Charlie price at vintage speed , he wasn't interested in anything that new. what was I going to do? I had only just become part of the information age by purchasing my first home computer. My kids were begging me "we really need it for school" my oldest boy said. So being the good dad I got the best I could afford at the time 10GB , that was the rammiest for 1995. There was a guy called Jeeves who seemed to have all the answers and Yippee or Yeehaw or something like that. I made my way to a place called "Jalopy Journal" that had a message board called HAMB. I asked if anyone knew about the XC8 and got an answer right away from a guy named Shag. He told me what he knew and then asked me what I was building and told me to sign up and introduce myself. So I spilled my guts and told the world about my 39 Chevy and who I was. Well , it was like trying to join a gang. I got "jumped in" by some pretty edgy characters. Speedfreak jumped on me right away , then Candyman , Miss Kitty and a real Hunter Thompson poet character called Germ. They tore me a couple new orifices. I wasn't sure what to think. I hadn't been bullied since third grade by a girl named Debbie Dewald who would kick my ass all the way home. (I think she liked me) Then a private message popped up from Germ. He said it's all part of the fun , stick around there are lots of people who really know old hotrods. I did and got to know AV8 (Mike Bishop), C9 (Jay Carnine), DR.J and many more who not only built cars back in the day they raced and basically started "car culture"
    I think at the time Ryan and a couple others were running the HAMB as a hobby. As it grew in popularity and membership swelled it took up more time so Ryan reconfigured the site in 2001 and made it what it is today.
    I want to thank Ryan and all the others who have made the HAMB what it is today. I have learned so much and have been able to contribute in a meaningful way.

THANK YOU!

So , what did y'all get me?

2. I remember some of the new guy roastings...as I lurked...I wasn't brave enough to be jumped in back then. You have my respect.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Deuces and Stogy like this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Happy Hamb Hamb!!, Congratulations @Jethro...that's some mighty seniority you have there...cheers to another 20...;)

Deuces and Thor1 like this.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations! I've got my 17th coming up in a month. Bob

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Deuces, hotrodjack33, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  5. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Within the 20 years, how many times were you corrected for doing something that was non-traditional, or for making a political statement, posting nude pictures, callings Mustang owners wimps, asking how to set the timing on a 2.2 HHR engine, or talking about someones Mother.

6. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I never let any of these yahoo's bother me. It was fun when I joined and it's still fun. :D Congrats on your time served, I mean time here.:) Lippy

7. 2935ford

2935ford

Aint it GREAT!
    Congrats!!!!

Deuces, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  8. Congrats! Germ always had some good rants!

Deuces, Stogy and Thor1 like this.
  9. trollst

trollst

Well....I'm offended......we can't have that kind of behaviour now......uh, huh,....

chryslerfan55, Deuces, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  10. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lighten up, Francis. :D

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

twenty years.. who'da thunk it?
    your story sounds very familiar, glad you stuck it out.

as for how many times was jethro corrected for being off topic,
    not once that I can remember in the time I've been here.

12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

oh yeah, nuthin, we got you nuthin.

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

congrats, got my 20th coming up in a month or so.... oh the good old days. I think as a rule people had much thicker skin back then to withstand those newb beatings!!!

14. desotot

desotot

Congrats!

Deuces and Stogy like this.
  15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Sounds like I missed all the fun!
    Luckily I lurked for a few years before I stuck my neck on the chopping block so I knew to measure my words at first as that seemed to keep the sharks at bay.

16. Thick skin. Yea we got it. Congrats.
    RECON.jpg

17. I found this place Christmas of 99 and it took me until January to figure out where the message board was. I was just reading articles and clicking links for the first 2 weeks!

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup, had to click on the hidden link Viva La Hamb

Deuces, Tim and Stogy like this.
  19. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations to you"JETHRO"from a relatively new member, on your 20 year HAMBAVERSARY!
    Since nobody here got you anything, such longevity on the HAMB deserves a proper commemorative prize!

Please enjoy this rare, 5 carburetor intake manifold !
    IMG_3085 (2).JPG 5 carb manifold (2).JPG

20. and it took me TWO weeks to find that!

Deuces, hotrodjack33, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Heck... I've only been 'on' since May, 2002. Makes me feel like a nooby. (that's a contraction of 'noobody')
    Congrats, Jethro. Glad you're still here.

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Me too!
    Congrats Jethro, great description of the old HAMB hell. The labels really segregated everyone, lowly FNGs and Grenade Inspectors were pissed on mightily. Reminded me of Dan Ackroyd “Jane, you ignorant slut ......”

23. LOL I am not sure I ever got one, but it took me a while to figure out how to find a thread once I left, well that and I think it took me a few months to catch onto the whole intro thing. :oops::p:D:D

@Jethro congrats man. You got a couple years on me. Glad to see an seasoned member from time to time.

24. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like I missed all the fun!
    Luckily I lurked for a few years before I stuck my neck on the chopping block so I knew to measure my words at first as that seemed to keep the sharks at bay.

It was fun Denny! But there were a lot of OT posts. The boss really tightened things up. I remember .....What type of pomade do you use? , How big are the cuffs on your jeans? , What rockabilly band do you listen to? , What kind and how many tattoos do you have? I think for some we were a fashion statement . The RR movement was kind of starting around then so there seemed to be confusion what was traditional and what was Ratty. It was entertaining to say the least.

25. Most of those types of posts were just trolling for laughs. Don't forget the Orcabetties

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  26. I still laugh about the cuffs. As my Ol' Man would have said, "All the F%^*$# freaks, bohos and greasers!!!!"

And "Gold Chainers" don't forget them. He[double hockey sticks] these days we have more of what we would have called a Gold Chainers than an NSRA Nat. They inspired a generation to try and build something to build something other than a rust bucket and call it "trad"

Times have changed haven't they.

27. Budget36

Budget36

No, we got him the same thing he got everyone else

Oh ya, nothing;)

chryslerfan55 and Deuces like this.
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

The thing that traumatized me was the broadcast pic of Aarons junk.....still not sure why or how that happened. If you are confused on what I am talking about, then you weren't there. You would also be traumatized.

Congrats on your 20.

If I remember right Ryan did a lot of conversions for a couple of weeks when he stood up the new hamb. It's been a minute and old man brain is kicking in hard these days.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    chryslerfan55, Tman and Deuces like this.