Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Are you a member of a car club?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Dec 30, 2020.

1. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It surely can be. Some claim that their club does not but you would have to try it to be sure.

hotrodjack33 and 210superair like this.
  2. Our club was established in 1972, at that time were all in our 20's, some of our member's were married and few were single, as the years progressed we added more members and with the influx of new blood came new ideas and there were some debates but we always kept them civil, along with the normal club officer's we had a club Bubba (Sargent of arms) to keep order, rarely did he ever have to do anything other than say alright guys. :)

The one thing most agreed on was to keep the club all male, no wives or girl friends at meetings, 2 other local clubs went down that rabbit hole and it ended the same way with both clubs, two of the fairer sex get into arguments and then their better halves got dragged into the melee and within a short period of time both clubs split up and were gone.

It seem most guys,at least the one I know can get mad, say F--K YOU and the next day every thing is fine, but it seemed in the case of the two clubs the problems kept festering until the lid blew off.

I love women and it seems every red blooded guy in our club feels the same way, we include our wives and girlfriends in all extra curricular activity's if they want to attend, the line is drawn at club meetings.

My wife, Brenda has said in the past if the club was to open it's doors to women she wouldn't want to be a member, she enjoys her night out doing what she pleases, not siting around with a bunch of old fart's telling jokes and talking cars, she hears that enough at home. HRP

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

[​IMG]
    If U know who's club house this is,your in our club!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  4. Ohhhh Tay

Deuces and dana barlow like this.
  5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Wheels of Time club is the perfect example of a club that really has it's shit together! Their "Macungie Pa." Car Show is probably the BEST "single club run" Car Shows in the North East. The amount of $ they generate and donate is amazing.

Good people in a good club, doing good things!!!

A lot of our club members have been attending, and supporting their Macungie Show for over 20 years.

Lil32, coupe man and Montana1 like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine are more organizations than clubs. Inliners International is all over the world and dedicated to inline engines, the Crown Victoria Association is centered around glass tops 54-56’s but open to all 54-56 Ford/Mercs including pickups, lastly an SCTA member club, the San Diego Roadster Club, which is the closest with monthly meetings but it centered around racing.

Lil32 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  7. Member of The Wheels Of Time of the Lehigh Valley , Pa since 1990 . Before that I was a member of The Road Knights of Boyertown , Pa back in 1957 .

Lil32 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  8. topher5150

topher5150

There's a couple of generic old car clubs and some make specific clubs, but it's mostly a bunch of old farts doing a couple of cruises and some charity. As far as hot rod/kustom clubs in willing to bet that's all on the Detroit side of the state.

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  9. sshep

sshep
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Clark that's the car club that keeps on giving the whole year through

10. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

11. Have been a member of 3 car clubs over the last 50 years, none of them lasted more than 4 or 5 years after I joined.
    Makes me wonder.........:rolleyes:

Lil32 likes this.
  12. Don, It's a long ride but you have my personal invitation to join us anytime you find yourself in the area. :) HRP

chryslerfan55 and 56don like this.
  13. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

I’m a member of the Minnesota Street Rod Association, they do a great job of lobbying the state legislature for collector car friendly vehicle laws. The gang I hang out with is jokingly known as IBM or FOW which stands for I Built Mine or Friends of Warren. No dues, no officers, just an informal group of like minded guys and gals that enjoy each other’s company. If anyone needs help, it’s only a phone call away...

Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Rod Kings (established 2006) Just a few good friends who hang out. We don't take it serious....it was actually started as a joke.

FB_IMG_1443236978591.jpeg FB_IMG_1443236938792.jpeg FB_IMG_1468149103345.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Lil32 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

D
    Do you also have plaques?

What does C.K.D. stand for?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. goldmountain

goldmountain

This is probably unrelated, but when cars were exported; ckd stood for "completely knocked down"; meaning some assembly required.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. My experience in 2 car clubs was that 10 % of the members did 90 % of the work. Whenever we had a club project there was someone who always had an excuse as to why he wouldn't / couldn't be there that day. When the club politics got going it was time for me to get out.

chryslerfan55 and j3harleys like this.
  18. I gotta admit that I am a member of a car club and not into the social part. I have never been to a meeting, do not volunteer to help with car shows, and do not join in any cruises. I like to drive into a local car show, park, look around for an hour or two, then leave. The club has a local cruise in every week in the warm months, and I have attended one, stayed 20 minutes then left. I am not sure why I renew my membership every year, but I do like getting their newsletter with information about local shows...

19. No plaques...we considered them, but kind of expensive for such a small group.

C.K.D = Central Kentucky Division. We are kind of scattered all over the central part of the state.

20. solidaxle

solidaxle
    from Upstate,NY

Having belonged to many clubs and organizations in the past and present, your ratio on of participants vs non-participants is about right. I have found if you just ask people to do one minor task they are usually happy to comply, but you have to ask. I have found leaders who can effectively delegate work, can get most people involved in the club. This is a better approach then just bitching nobody comes forward and volunteers.

21. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great post. That's exactly how our club works.
    Triple Cities Street Rods | Rome, PA 18837
    All you have to do is ask folks for their help...we get about 90% participation.:D

I'm in the Binghamton NY area. Where are you at?

chryslerfan55 and Lil32 like this.
  22. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I'm part of the me myself and I club. Just us three.

walter and guthriesmith like this.
  23. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

After WW2 there were 2 circle racing associations in the NW. One for midgets and one for big cars (now called sprint cars). Roadster circle track racing was the new kid on the block and there was no association for it so the Washington Hy-Winders was formed. (1947)

It was for pro circle racing of track roadsters although it attracted many motorcycle racers and drag racers, along with a few street hot rodders. It was incorporated and run as a business. To join, you had to own a circle track race car or bike or be on a pit crew of one. Most of the members had roadsters but it wasn’t long before a few had conversion bodies so they could run big car races also.

It wasn’t too long before the drag racers and street hot rods decided to split off and form their own club because it didn’t take but one trial on a circle track to find that they were in strange territory.

This club was the Seattle Kustom Klub. Requirements were, you had to have at least 3 pieces of speed equipment on your engine, pay dues of one dollar a month (beer fund) and show up for meetings. It was all about racing. No shows, no tours, no nothing not associated with circle track, drag or Bonneville racing. Although road racing was eventually added. 65 original members including several AMA motorcycle racers. Life was good. The club was run like a commercial business and quite successful for many years.

Back when the club split came about, the Hy-Winders changed their name to the Roadster Racing Association of Washington and they lasted till 1957 when they were disbanded because of roadster racing being in the decline.

Eventually, old age started to get many of the members and for the usual various reasons, members quit racing. Some sold their cars but a few converted them to the street. Some even converted to coupe and sedan bodies. One was converted to run at Bonneville and did very well.

Thus the present day Kustom Klub evolved. Down to 5 members with 2 still circle racing and Bonneville.

We have official meetings once a year and beer and martoonie parties whenever the mood suits us.

The club was inducted into the Washington Hot Rod Hall of Fame several years ago.

Our old club motto was, “The oldest and fastest in the NW”. We are still the oldest but fastest, not so much. Original Kustom Klub plaque.png

chryslerfan55 and V8 Bob like this.
  24. SPEC

SPEC

I have been a member of Memphis Street Rods since 1981, it was established in 1968.

hotrodjack33 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. When my parents started our club I was a wee lad of 12(young that is, not old enough to drive) in 1984. Had about 15-20 members at the time. Now it’s closer to 30.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

26. firemangordy

firemangordy

California Nomads. Club was formed in 1970. I joined in 1975. californianomads.com Club hat.jpg IMG-4239.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    jnaki and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Hopefully you got a good nap and are ready to make that trip to the shop.

28. Photogs189

Photogs189

29. dan griffin

dan griffin