Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs finishing off my 38 chevee project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nunattax, Aug 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

small spin today inniscara 003.JPG [/ATTACH] inniscara 005.JPG inniscara 002.JPG inniscara 007.JPG .the plaque reads Hugh Mc Guire chief of Fermanagh,killed by english forces,1st march 1600 ,the bravest and best horseman.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    pila38, 30tudor, 72yenkonova and 5 others like this.
  2. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

fitted the baffled grommet.and a blank in the stock grommet.leaking oil around the baffled one though.cleaned it with white spirit and gave it a light coating of sealer,not the ideal solution but it might work.

Leakie, Bowtie Coupe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  3. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

tailgate painted flares 002.JPG handpainted the flares with POR15 slow business

72yenkonova, TFoch, Leakie and 2 others like this.
  4. Leakie

Leakie

The truck is looking great!

nunattax likes this.
  5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

thanx bud,rear wheel bearing should be next on the to-do list

TFoch and Leakie like this.
  6. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

gates bottom rad hose#20225 arrived today and a low profile vacuum fitting (edelbrock # 8096).hope they fit.thanx vic.

TFoch likes this.
  7. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

theres some water in the pit so did some work to the drivers side door card.painted the inside straightened it out here and there and gave it a shot of red oxide primer.a bit cold and wet for spraying but pulled out the hair dryer to aid drying.afterwards laid on some
    sound insulation. paint insulate door cards 001.JPG .
    drivers side panel has suffered from a little wear and tear.pass side is in better condition.drivers side looks like it was driven for extended peroid while loose.slot around the door knob is worn.will build it up with plastic metal.straightened it out the best i could should turn out fine.some classic motor logos/trademarks sprayed on will camoflage a lot.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Bowtie Coupe, Leakie, TFoch and 2 others like this.
  8. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

some progress today.powered up the choke its running shit will take some fine tuning.started masking up for the door panel.made a large compass whick works great.for the circular cuts i will fit a blade instead of the pencil/marker.pulled an old logo from the net its very small and wont blow up successfully.i ll be able to to draw it myself and cut the stencil .working out dimensions and placement is everything here.eventually settled for 18" diameter .mixed and pushed the plastic metal into the worn edge around the door knob slot.its rock hard now job for tomorrow . masking up for door art 001.JPG masking up for door art 001.JPG masking up for door art 003.JPG masking up for door art 006.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    TFoch, Bowtie Coupe, Leakie and 2 others like this.
  9. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

put the passenger door panel to one side each panel needs some welding to a few cracks. in the corners.its thin gauge i ll need some one tasty.have one or two guys in mind if i can get in touch..needed to move the truck out of the garage to work on the door panels .no choke i poured some fuel down the carb to prime it it fired but soon flooded going nowhere.wired the choke earth needed 12 v switched supply sparks arrived nearly there i thought but not so.removed that choke 12 years ago and bagged it.loads of videos on fitting and adjusting electric chokes but none in depth step by step ones.all done by tech guys who dont mention the pitfalls to a newbie..had some issues with the fast idle set up.early demon carb was subbosed to be as holley but not so.well versed in taking apart and installing now.just watched a video that shows what im doing wrong.will try again too mor.im allmost out of petrol and there is roadworks between me and the local pumps.dont want to run out at the roadworks .and block the busy road !.no pubs to fuel up with guinness open tomorrow so ill have another go at fixing the choke.getting the hang of it im hopefull ill sort it tomor.theres a couple of cans carlsberg in the fridge to celebrate when i finally sort it.have a good paddys day where ever you are

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  10. Leakie

Leakie

May the luck of the Irish be with you and your choke! Happy St Paddy’s day to you! Carlsburg, but no Guinness in the fridge, is that even legal over there?

11. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i have tried putting GUINNESS in the fridge i keep drinking it.dont think the CARLSBERG will last any longer..back to the choke have a good day chris

Nicholas Coe and Leakie like this.
  12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

did some more to the ds. inner door panel wolfs head 004.JPG i.this is a hybrid logo.i found a very early wolfs head oil logo.it was tiny and would not blow up very well.it had an older design wolfs head.i blew up the arrow design and stenciled the pattern.overall im happy with it.its a modern design wolfs head.the remaining panel will be sprayed black there is a 1/2"band stenciled round the edge it will be red.once the paint is properly dry tomorrow i will rub down with fine wet/dry to knock the very sharp edges off.didnt spray the final black section because welds need to be finished off

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

the edges of the panel were not straight.i kinda expected the bottom left corner to be square it isnt.solution was to screw 4x1 prepared to the panel through the mounting holes and squared up that corner.this allowed me to use a carpenters square and keep the lines parallel.

TFoch and Leakie like this.
  14. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

rubbed down the paint and trial fitted the door panel.the white is primer and a bit harsh for me.ill have to rub it back some more.trial fitted the panel properly .first time i attempted to fit all the screws at once.needed to file the holes out a little on the panel.threads are not 100% in places will make some repairs tomorrow.weather permitting i see a bowl of water and some 600 grit . wolfs head 2 003.JPG

15. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

started rubbing the logo with 600 grit ,but found some 400 used that instead.getting there will finish off with something finer,maybe a medium scotchbrite pad.had nothing to thread into for the door divider/brace.made a strip from 1/4 alloy drilled and tapped it.stuck it in there with 2 part glue araldite.the #8 screw and washer is locating it until it sets.no pressure on the glue only to locate it .cant spin when the screws init.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    TFoch, Leakie and tb33anda3rd like this.
  16. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

stuck hard, need another for passenger side.thats done too !.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  17. good fix.i like the interior art work, never thought of doing that.

nunattax likes this.
  18. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

the metal inner door cards are a blank canvass

Leakie and tb33anda3rd like this.
  19. nunattax and tb33anda3rd like this.
  20. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

im doing it !

Nicholas Coe and tb33anda3rd like this.
  21. Nice work!

tb33anda3rd and nunattax like this.
  22. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

ive served my time on the 1st door panel . wolfs head stensil and paint 058.JPG wolfs head stensil and paint 060.JPG . applied the white with a small roller.wanted a light even coat,ideal.with gods help ill finish this panel tomorrow.hopefully i will get this done a little quicker.fingers crossed.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Leakie, j hansen, TFoch and 3 others like this.
  23. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

the major holdups were getting the proportions of the logo right.overall the logo is 18",i maximized the logo to 6" on the computer took a tracing and multiplied every measurement by 3.
    second holdup was trying to repair the slot on the door for the door opener.it was badly damaged ,with a piece missing and what was left dented.i filled the pressing smooth from behind.ideal would have been to repair with a 2.5-3mm wire welded in the back and make good with a little skim of filler.
    took a tracing from the screen for the lettering.while its not perfect and i could have got a stencil made its nice to say i did it myself.isnt that what hotrodding is about.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  24. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

up early to try to finish.almost there.when the paints fully dry light sanding needed around the lettering,rubber strip to go up against glass and a few other details left to do c. finish paint wolfs head 003.JPG finish paint wolfs head 004.JPG finish paint wolfs head 006.JPG finish paint wolfs head 008.JPG finish paint wolfs head 010.JPG

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  25. Wow very cool! :cool: One of a kind!

26. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

painted the knob and fitted the rod,greased it.1st time ever had that working what a novelty

27. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

moved on to the passenger door panel.tapped down the highs and tweaked as necessary.sanded the inner side.it had never seen paint.there was some pitting near the end.etch primed the pitting ,followed by a dust coat of etch.followed by a coat of red oxide primer.let it out in the sun to bake.then filled the pitting,didnt take much material.the front of the panel was damaged from looks like opening/closing while loose.damaged at floor level,alittle piece missing.really needed a welding rod tacked into the bead.what i did was measured up a welding rod and bedded it in araldite two pac glue located it with masking tape then screwed the lot to a straight 4x2 through the mounting holes.might very well reinforce the rear edge as well tomorrow filled the rear side of the opening knob slot and sanded it smooth.tomorrows another day!.

Leakie, TFoch and Nicholas Coe like this.
  28. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

we had a cold spell a few weeks back.the motor was reluctant to start on the chilly mornings without a choke,so i refitted it.had more than a little bother setting it up.it was fowling the plugs regularly.plugs 1,2 7,8 are a pain to get in /out with headers.3 4 5and 6 no problem.i had burnt every plug with a blow torch to clear them.ive a new set coming tomorrow.was using denso brand ,trying out a set of ngk this time around to keep track of the plugs.ordered a set of bosch 3 electrode plugs from e-bay .ill have them in a week or so.shouldnt need anymore for a while
    what im doing now is when starting from cold i leave the ig on for about 4-5 seconds before attempting to start.when its warm i leave it for about 10 seconds for the choke to open before starting.its working so far.will see how i do tomorrow with fresh plugs.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  29. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

fresh plugs in copper ease on the threads and silicone grease in the caps.started first tip and running great hey hey!!!

30. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

started early finished up after dark.temp went up just a little bit and the cold wind eased off.productivity went way up.continued working on the pass.door panel.very happy with how its coming along.very deceptive just like fenders because there are two sides to work on.it soaks up the time.mounted the panel this evening.its fitting well.no welding done only needs a little..after glueing the welding rod in and filling the pitting it became much more rigid.just a few little tweeks left and the painting can begin in earnest. we will be insulating tomorrow.!!! the door locks i purchased were modified so they both could be locked from the inside.this meant drilling a hole in the panel for the lock shaft.was a little off with the hole but i will recover that.long term plam is to fit central locking deadlocks. inner door panel 2 002.JPG may add another strategic screw to the door.