Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cowl vent sealing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardgenius, Mar 3, 2021.

1. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

My 34 cowl vent leaks. It closes down against the seal but doesn’t squish it down. I tried changing the spring earlier but all it did was made it harder to open. What’s the secret .

2. Time for a new gasket or you might check to see if your drain hose is still in place. HRP

nunattax likes this.
  3. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

Brand new seal and drain hose fitted.

4. ...instead of the seal I've used a strip of vacuum hose that fits in the groove where the orig. seal went,...you mite have to try several different sizes. worked well on my truck

nochop and Bob Lowry like this.

5. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tried to fit a new seal in our 32 pickup . It didn’t work, the seal was too thick and made the vent lid stick up too high . Need to revisit that and see if the seal can be reworked . Or use something else. Its a fairly early 32.

nochop likes this.
  6. alchemy

alchemy

About 15 years ago I did a 32 and the new Drake gasket was too thick. I ended up cutting a shallow groove in the top of it right were the lid edge would fit into it.

Last year my bro put a new seal in his 32, and I'm pretty sure he had a Vintique gasket. After laying it in place with no glue we discovered it was too thick. I thinned it on my belt sander to let the lid fit lower. Was really touchy to sand the backside on the belt sander, and it tried to grab out of my hands quite a few times. Not really pretty on the backside, but we got it close and glued it in.

nochop likes this.
  7. xix32

xix32

Like Mr. Rehor said in his book. The reproduction seals are too thick. If a company is going to make a mold for those seals, why can't they get it right ?

19Eddy30 and nochop like this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yup, too thick, I may glue mine shut

9. My cowl lent leaked when I installed a new seal, I finally glued it down and it just about stopped leaking, just make sure the drain tube is not clogged and the drain hose is in place.

I can live with a little drip every now and then, I would never close the vent permanently, I really like the fresh air, and of course the occasional bee or wasp I could do without, I have seen were someone is making a screen for the '32 cowl vent. HRP

hotrodjack33 and nochop like this.
  10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Yeah, I’ll probably not glue it, I have to re-engineer the closer handle ratchet assy as it interferes with the tach it’s One of those git too it someday items

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  11. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The dozen or so Fords I've owned with cowl vents ALL leaked...I don't care how good the gasket was. I always carry a plastic bag and a rubber band for my "gas pedal foot" which is always right under the leak.:mad:

Kiwi 4d likes this.
  12. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

i used both type of seals from jim carter trucks on my 38.eventually had 1 made by a local gasket maker in a foam type material.por 15 the whole assembly then bedded the sponge gasket in grease.no leak since.new hose on the drain .

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  13. Dennis D

Dennis D

How about some of the "D" shaped hollow weatherstrip they sell? Comes in lots of different sizes. D

junkyardgenius, 3340 and nochop like this.