Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Later model Chevrolet 6 cylinder to 32 bellhousing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kellys Hot Rod Parts, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Anyone here know if any later model GM 6 cylinder engines will bolt to a 32 chevy bellhousing?..I would like to keep as much of th 529077.jpg e original drivetrain as possible but want something a little more dependable.....thanks guys!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Show us a photo of a 32 bellhousing or the front of the transmission.,

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

probably not, but a late 6 bell could be drilled out to mount a 32 trans

302GMC and irishsteve like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

chryslerfan55 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Squirrel. It a 32 Chevrolet transmission... from the photos I could find the 29-36 Chevrolet transmission front look like the 55-up not like the 37-54; but I’m not sure the photos are correct. If they are a 55-62 235 might be fairly ez.

6. squirrel

squirrel

oops, my reading skills suck...sorry! I just assume that everyone is talking Fords when I see "32"

36 bell.jpg

Looks a bit different to me...I think there were at least 3 different bolt patterns on Chevys from the early 30s to the 60s

Johnny Gee likes this.
  7. Sorry this is the best pic I c 20210303_104227.jpg ould get

8. squirrel

squirrel

I looked a the transdapt thread, no 36 or earlier Chevy stuff there. I also looked in the 1987 Offy catalog, nothing there either. Both have adapters for the later Chevy closed driveline transmissions.

Maybe someone has come up with something....I don't know.

9. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Open-up that trans and rear end. If that shit is worn-out, it won't matter how new your engine is, it's gonna break. I'm betting an old S-10 will make a good doner vehicle for cheap... and can handle the power!

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There used to be some aftermarket adapter bell-housings. The ones I had, bolted directly to the 49-54 passenger car transmissions, and used the cast iron Powerglide starter motor adapter ring from a V-8 car, to bolt everything together. There were some adapter bell-housings that were one piece however. Finding them is't that hard; getting one bought before someone beats you to it is. This is assuming your transmission has the same mounting flange as the 49-54 car transmissions. If your transmissions throw-out bearing collar is the same as a later model, factory, bell-housing, you should be able to re-drill a pattern that would work with your transmission. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Look for a Speed Gems catalog. They made a lot of adapters for the early Chevrolets. contact Dennis O'brien at O'brien Truckers, here on The H.A.M.B. I know that he has an early Speed Gems catalog and would probably be able to hep you.