Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 64 Impala Convertible Conversion.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Smitty, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Big Smitty

Big Smitty
    from Durham, NC

Whats up guys. I have a 64 Chevy impala coupe that I want to do a convertible conversion on. I am in Durham, NC. Does anybody know of any shops/people that will to it correctly in NC or my neighboring states? If so let me know. Any help is appreciated.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Why do you want to ruin a perfectly good Impala coupe?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't convertible Impalas that year share the short rear deck with the sedans?

Maybe you can take on a project: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/chevrolet/impala/2094915.html

[​IMG]

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Way too costly and involved ruining a good car even if you find a donor car like above. It'd never be as good as an OEM convertible, like those VW convertible conversions that were popular down here at one time. They were still a VW with the roof cut off and didn't even look original. The one above could possibly be salvaged and rebuilt however you'd need someone experienced to inspect it as I'm too far away. :rolleyes:

4. indyjps

indyjps

If you are paying someone to do this conversion for you, you would be ahead to just start with a convertible.
    If you can do labor yourself it might make sense.

To do the conversion correctly, you need 1 of each, coupe / convertible. Theres still the issue of title, homebuilt or swap tags both have downfalls.

5. Big Smitty

Big Smitty
    from Durham, NC

Well it is pretty common on the west coast. I'm from arizona, just moved to North Carolina. But I know of several shops in california that do conversions all the time with the lowrider community. Problem is I am not there anymore. I know for fact you can use 61-64 buick, pontiac, and I've heard oldsmobiles too for donor cars. I know of one shop here in NC that does them, he does amazing work but I've also heard bad stories about him taking peoples car and sitting on it for 4 years and not touching it. I'm not interested in any of that business. So for now, just looking for shops/people that can do the work. thx guys

6. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

There is probably more 63-64 impala convertibles then Chevy made nowadays. Some of the conversions done in California are hard to tell they are conversions.

7. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

If you want a convertible then buy one and build off of that platform.
    Sell the hardtop to some one who wants that(plenty want that).
    Reinvest the money in a convertible and let the fun begin.
    DONT CUT UP THAT HARDTOP

8. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

The life span of a convertible is about one season after the first summer you usually don't put the top down, well that is the case with most of us.

9. Budget36

Budget36

Wonder what the OP has done to it in the last 2 1/2 years? ;)

guthriesmith and Sporty45 like this.
  10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's funny, right there. ^^^

guthriesmith and Budget36 like this.
  11. Guessing he found someone to cut it up or at least put it in the corner of a shop for a few years until they could get to it... :D

Reminds me of years ago when I sold a 64 Impala 409 car and the guy that bought it used it as a parts car for a convertible. o_O

Budget36 likes this.
  12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

A friend bought a 2 dr hardtop 57 lincoln premier and a rusted out from the beltline down 57 convertible. I converted it with the windshield posts and all the correct inner panels and assorted stuff off the convertible. Including the frame reinforcements. Was a big job but turned out nice. I don't know of any shops around you but I do know it's a big job. Lot of hours. Good luck . Lippy

Squablow likes this.
  13. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

Try to find a Buick,Oldsmobile,Pontiac 59-64 convertible in California nowadays there isn't any left.

14. Squablow

Squablow

I know this is an old thread but convertible conversions can be done to a high standard, making them the same as the factory would have in every way, assuming you have the right parts to do it. I believe BobK's 52 Chevy convertible was a Belair hardtop originally. I did an off-topic GTO myself, if you have a solid starting point and a donor with the correct pieces, it's a very do-able project.

I think too many people assume a "convertible conversion" involves sawing the roof off and capping the door tops, just like the people who assume a 2 door conversion involves shortening a car or welding up rear doors.

Convertibles are relatively rare, expensive, and highly prized. I wouldn't hesitate to cut up a hardtop to make a convertible if I had the pieces and the desire for a convertible. If there's enough left of the convertible donor, in a lot of cases, you can start with a 4 door.

scotty t and guthriesmith like this.