Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. noboD

noboD

A bunch of them have the optional six tail lights today.

2. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

That is one of my reasons for going with the 61 opposed to a year earlier. I’ve always wanted 6 tail lights on a corvette.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

4. elgringo71

elgringo71

5. Actually, the six-light option (RPO 213) was initially offered on June 6, 1966. Retro-fit kits were made available for earlier year cars. That RPO was 420.

Add 'em up...

Moriarity, loudbang, enloe and 2 others like this.
  6. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jason that is a nice 56/57. I see he has a three point roll bar with slapper bars and towing tabs. Squirter on the cowl vent to prime the injectors. A cool story this car could probably tell.

7. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

I read this a bunch of times and I still can’t figure
    Out the punch line. Help me.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and chevy57dude like this.
  8. Six lights never an option, date: 6/6/66 and 420, well, that's something else...
    If I get the joke that is,

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. When I add it up it’s like, far out man.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chevy57dude and loudbang like this.
  10. Sorry, my sense of humor is slightly warped: 2+1+3=6; 4+2+0=6 (absolutely no date-in-April reference)

Also, I should have thrown in the Department of Misinformation, Bogus Rumors and Fake News disclaimer statement...

enloe likes this.
  11. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Not to mention the fact that April 20 is the birthday of a notorious individual.

12. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Six tail lights wasn't offered as a factory installed option by Chevrolet. But Clippinger Chevrolet in West Covina, California offered it as a Dealer installed option back in the day. Clippinger sold many new Corvettes with six tail lights.

13. noboD

noboD

Nitrobrother, don't worry. Dave is older then most of us, it takes a while to sink in.

loudbang likes this.
  14. loudbang

loudbang

mkebaird, enloe, 31hotrodguy and 5 others like this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

10a.jpg

Front tire off the road 10b front tire.jpg

16. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

It's a non-issue to anyone other than our local community but the original Clippinger Chevrolet was located in Covina during the time frame in question. It was moved to West Covina in about 2000 in the midst of some real regional anguish regarding sales tax distribution. The primary reason for the move was the fact that the new location included freeway frontage. The whole Clippinger empire had been sold earlier therefore it, as well as several other dealerships, evaporated during the financial meltdown about fifteen years ago. The entire original Clippinger facility is still standing, vacant, at the corner of Citrus Avenue and San Bernardino road (in Covina). I believe that it belongs to the Community Redevelopment Authority.

17. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

18. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

19. Man, that's a shame. Although, abandoned dealerships make great race car ops...

20. Supposedly Watson painted this for his secretary...
    CCC-larry-watson-rainbow-03-W.jpg

21. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

That's a true statement although the commercial value of that real estate would stretch the budget of most race teams. I have outlined the area on the attached Google Maps screen shot of that location today. During the height of the muscle car wars, the two competing dealerships, across the street from one another were really notable, especially for Covina, a relatively small bedroom community near the eastern end of the San Gabriel Valley, twenty-five miles east-northeast of Los Angeles. Bob Wingate sold lots of hot cars out of that showroom.

Veteran car buffs will recall the name "Russ Davis Ford," directly across the street as the home of the standout Ford Super Stock team of Gas Ronda. Ronda raced the Russ Davis Ford OHC '65 Mustang through the era when today's Super Stocker was tomorrow's Funny Car. The fabled dyno-tune shop, Performance Associates, owned by another well-known drag racer, Les Ritchey, was located a couple of miles west of the dealerships on San Bernardino Road. Performance was a hot commodity in Covina in those days.

Today, as I have previously mentioned, the Clippinger property including the showroom, open display areas, maintenance shops, and body shop are essentially vacant property with the original buildings. Russ Davis Ford is gone, buildings wiped off the map and the whole property is now covered with three-story condos that are advertised for sale at about half-a-million each. (I've often said, today's fancy condo development is tomorrow's tenement slum.) One of the big selling points for the condos is that the corner of Citrus and S.B. Road is within in easy walking distance of the light rail rapid transit line that goes directly to downtown L.A.

Covina.jpg

22. That's for sure! When I was the clutch monkey and general wrencher on a funny car team, we were working on taking over an old dealership in the KC area to plant our flag. Very pricey, but we felt it was important to have the presence needed for investors and fans. Those plans got scuttled when the owner and his spouse split up, and us kids got the shaft in the divorce.

More Corvettes!

23. loudbang

loudbang

24. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

alfin32, Sky Six, mkebaird and 15 others like this.
  25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

26. elgringo71

elgringo71

27. elgringo71

elgringo71

28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

29. loudbang

loudbang

30. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pretty nice picture of the red 62 posted above by 65 pacecar. The stance is a bit different than mine but I like both looks to be honest. Here is a picture of mine I took a few years ago. Vette-R-2 024-2rr.jpg