Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Has anyone ever seen a "reverse sectioned" custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 19Fordy, Mar 2, 2021.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

By "reversed section" I am referring to adding 2 inches to the lower sheet metal body of the car all around. By doing this the distance from the window sills to the bottom of the rocker panels would be increased by 2 inches. In addition, the top would also be chopped 2 inches.

dadsdreamcar likes this.
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Sounds like a big butt with nothing on top.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@19Fordy

no, not so far as I know......but what make/model of car is involved in this potential build?

Ray

timwhit likes this.
  4. Squablow

Squablow

I saw a couple of 30-31 Model A coupes done that way. Gets the proportions closer to a '32. Never saw anything post-war done like that though.

VANDENPLAS likes this.

5. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Not a custom but wasn't the "green grenade "
    Anti sectioned?
    Not sure it'd work on a custom though.... Screenshot_20210302-192354_Pinterest.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

The37Kid and alfin32 like this.
  6. A Boner

A Boner

Green Grenade also had 2 door sedan doors and the roof and floor was lengthened for the doors to fit.
    Excellent thinking...outside the box!

Hollywood-East likes this.
  7. The Ray Enos’ 1930 Ford Roadster that competed for AMBR in 2019 was reverse sectioned.

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Ray, the reverse section I am referring to would be performed on a 1951 Mercury convertible.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. I guess the question is why? Doesn't sound like something that would improve the look.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

timwhit, low down A and X38 like this.
  10. Squablow

Squablow

Pixels are cheap, let's try it. First pic is a stock dimension '51 Merc convertible, second pic has some reverse-section height added to the center of the body. 2 inches seems about right, although I don't know how to do that to scale exactly, so it's a best-guess at 2 inches.

1951-mercury-convertible.jpg
    reversesection51.jpg

My opinion? Surprisingly not bad looking. Neither of these examples is chopped, but the reverse-sectioned car almost looks chopped, due to the ratio of windshield height to body height. I think the biggest issue is where do you add the 2 inches in the front? Do you make a really big grille opening, or do you leave the front stock-height and use a bigger, taller bumper to make up the difference, or? Also, I feel like this would be a shitload of work. Like 1000 hours plus. But that said, it's not bad looking at all. I was expecting it to look awful but it really doesn't. It would definitely be one of those things that would keep people guessing.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I doesn't sound appealing at all. Unless the car had been sectioned in the past and was "UN" sectioned. I've seen a few customs in the past that were done on the concept that if 3 inches was supposed to be perfect lets do six inches so it is radical that didn't work at all.

Pretty much like undoing the "hard chopped look that has been the fad the past few years. I've already seen a couple of hard chopped cars have the roofs raised up a bit to make them more drivable while still being a cool chopped rig.

Rolleiflex likes this.
  12. That would be a TON of work to make the car chubbier. No thanks.

13. I was just thinking a reverse section in many way is the same as extending the sills to give thicker side profile and lower the car, I have read of this a being done a bit

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    Tman likes this.
  14. rudestude

rudestude

Sounds like what someof the new cars are doing , they have tall bodies, from the rockers to the belt line ,then the side windows are short...makes them look like they have a chopped top ...the Crysler 300's,c
    Camaros ,Vw bugs,and others you notice it when you sit in them, if you hang a arm out the window its not very comfortable.
    I think its for making room for the bigger wheels on the new cars?

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

williebill and clem like this.
  15. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

Well funnily my 46 was chopped and then sectioned 3".When i added the lincoln rear fenders after the section and lined up the swages on the body,with the front ford fenders,The lincoln fenders sat lower,,,,,so i did exactly as the op asks and added approx two inches to the sills and front fenders. but this car is sectioned,so its not overly wacked out of proportion height wise Johnny

16. rudestude

rudestude

This one is reverse sectioned...it said it was done so it would resemble a 32 body.
    Wouldn't "reverse sectioned" mean , taking a car that has been sectioned and returning back to its original dementions? 16147638619901533784410098987190.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. clem

clem

For twenty years I have wondered how a ‘32 ford 5 window coupe would look with a few extra inches in it to accentuate a 4” chop !
    Would have loved to see a photo or even a photo shopped one.....the post above looks good.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  18. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Here is an example of why a "reversed section" would be used. Take a 1933 Plymouth or Ford, full fender, sedan and channel it down the width of the frame, now chop the top 3 inches. The channel would cause the fenders to be move up on the body. You would not have the room required to roll down the rear side windows, so you add height by reversed section to add height by the bottom of the vehicle. Now you will have room to roll the rear side windows down all the way with out hitting the rear wheel wells.

19. That's a lot of work to roll down a rear side window.

20. 62rebel

62rebel

Oddly enough I have been thinking of doing something similar with a Ford A sedan. Not only to make the fender/aprons work on a lower chassis but also to add some width to the body. I'd be miles ahead using a larger car body from the start but not many out there.

21. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I remember a mid-'50's F-100 (totally off-topic style here) that had the bottoms of the doors and cab corners extended to lessen the gap to the running boards. I thought it looked good and might consider it on mine.

22. 19Fordy

19Fordy

THANK YOU Squablow for taking the time to make and post the photo. I think it looks very good.
    Would even look good with the top up and the rear top bow flattened so as to achieve the 1/3 to 2/3 proportion.
    Also, Thanks to all who responded to my question.

Squablow and Hnstray like this.
  23. The Bottom Picture of the 51 Merc. that was shown looks like
    HUDSON is that the Look that you are looking for.??
    I remember when I was out with my Merc.
    one day last year I Had stoped at a Locale Flee-market, and some
    guy puled in front of me & got out of his Car to look at my car
    and He though it was a Hudson.? I told him it was a Merc. so I asked him to Move
    his Car so I could move My Car. & he Did

Just my 3.5 cents

Live learn & Die a Fool

lostmind and Hnstray like this.
  24. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like this thread could have its own photoshop. Then we could see a 33-34 chopped so much it would have mail slots for windows and Wilt Chamberlain could sit in it comfortably.... now that would be a sight to see.

25. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That truck look good. Not over done.

26. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That truck looks cartoonie.

RICH B, Blue One, rudestude and 3 others like this.
  27. Hey, how 'bout a reverse chop? Add 3" to a stock coupe, give it a kinda "tall T" look...:eek::confused:

rudestude likes this.
  28. Squablow

Squablow

Quick and dirty, first pic shows a totally stock Merc (although I lowered it first, both are lowered the same amount, so as to not throw off the comparison). Second has approximately 2" reverse-section, 2" chop, and a reduction in the center top bow (the center one sticks up the highest, the rear one is already on the downward slope, so I figured that one should be left alone, would be weird to leave the really tall one and further reduce the rearward one).

mercstock.jpg
    mercchopreversesection.jpg
    Again, I think it looks good, it's better looking than I would have thought. I still think the additional height in the front view is going to be an issue unless you have a really clever plan for that, and also the amount of work this would take is staggering, but I don't hate the idea, I think it's quite nice looking, at least from a side view angle.

29. Do a real comparison and do the same modifications to the top on the stock body as the sectioned body and see which looks better. I already know the answer but that is the fair comparison..

30. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

This guy extended the rocker panels and fenders downward to get a low look without chassis lowering. I'm not saying it's a good idea, but you asked for it.