Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical License plate replicas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steveabilly, Feb 7, 2021.

1. topher5150

topher5150

2. There is a Mars Pa. But I am unaware if there is any suburb named Baldwin Park. So being from Mars go there and ask.;) There is a park in Baldwin named that so he could be homeless living on a park bench.:D

3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think this will all be moot in a few years. In Minnesota, all plates come with a cute state logo right in the middle. That logo is actually a hologram that allows a special scanner carried in patrol cars to read it and instantly display all pertinent information about the vehicle AND the registered owner. I found this out the hard way last summer when the cops, from out of nowhere pulled me over and told me my driving privileges in Minnesota were currently suspended. It all turned out to be a mistake by the DMV (all too common these days), so no harm, no foul, but it was troubling.

I was curious as to how they had nailed me. After several inquiries in several places, I found out about the holograms and attendant equipment. I expect this to expand rapidly to all states, and with todays networked computer systems, the cops in Califorina will be able to read your Pennsylvania plates. Once this gets in place, you can bet that they will not be happy with the number of vehicles out there with non-compliant plates. There go your "YOM" plates, replica plates, and anything not officially issued by the state. I would also think that any scheme purporting to foil the system will immediately get you pulled over, ticketed, and your plates confisticated.

Big Brother IS watching you.

4. topher5150

topher5150

Not going to be able to scan much November-March

5. License plate readers are in use all across the U.S. Especially on Interstate Highways where your movements are observed. So much for the Bonnie and Clyde days of "disappearing" across State lines. Yes laws have been changed since then but it is very hard if not impossible to vanish without a trace anymore. Holograms on the plates or not you are being monitored.

Cosmo50 likes this.
  6. silent rick

silent rick

where were you in '62?

ford Y blocks, 283 chevys and dodge red ram hemis weren't around in 1927. seems silly to run a YOM plate on a hot rod. fine if the car is a stock restoration but if it was hot rodded, i'd rather see a plate from the era the car represents.

j3harleys likes this.
  7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To answer the OP's question, I have. California plates did this for my Camaro. I bought the car in San Diego and it was an LA manufactured car so I thought it appropriate. The plate is nicely stamped steel, and painted perfectly. I still have it...the plate that is :cool:. The car went away to fund my pick up build. I should sell that plate.
    upload_2021-2-10_13-40-20.png

8. My BAD DADZ plates were originally white. They have been on 9 different vehicles, over the las 35yrs. I finally painted them black and yellow, when I put them on my Merc. Now, they are on my Coupe. I've painted about 70 sets, black/yellow or yellow w/black, and a few that funky orangeish color w/black. Nobody has ever told me they have been ticketed yet....

9. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I suggest that you do a little research on Lasers and Holograms. This ain't optical scanners and bar codes.

warhorseracing likes this.
  10. Here's my old plates (original vs fake).
    license plates repo vs original-1.jpg

11. Lil32

Lil32

been there many times

steveabilly likes this.
  12. 6-bangertim

6-bangertim
    from California

Shop for a single, then order a copy. Run the oringinal on the rear. SIMPLE.

Cosmo50 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- wish that it is so simple - but, most States require two matching plates to be able to register plates to specific vehicle

steveabilly likes this.
  14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Copy will most likely be aluminum and as such won't pass muster with the DMV.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yes they can, but they can also be clueless on license plate laws.....even when they're part of a specific traffic patrol detail! Here in Portland, Or. motorcycle cops are all assigned to traffic patrol usually, so they should know traffic laws, and license plate types. But some are clueless of the laws!
    I was driving my gassser one day when I saw a motorcycle cop coming towards me the other way. I saw his head snap left as he passed, and checked my rear view mirror to see him do a U turn. I saw a gas station ahead, and knew he planned to pull me over, so I pulled into the station. He rode up beside me and asked, "Why don't you have a front plate?"
    I told him a front plate was not required in Oregon on "special interest" registration cars. His reply was, "What's Special Interest registration?"
    I began to explain what it was, but he got bored within a couple minutes and told me he needed to leave. I told him that he really needed to know the laws he was enforcing, and if he was going to pull people over he should learn the laws so he didn't repeat this mistake again. He stayed for a few more minutes as I explained Special Interest and Antique rules, and how the state doesn't issue front plates, and if using year correct plates also, they don't require two plates like regular licensed cars do.
    He wasn't happy, but hopefully he knows the laws now, and wont harass somebody else.

steveabilly and yblock57 like this.
  16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Aren't you assuming a hotrodder in the 50's or 60's with an original plate on his car would toss it, and register it with a brand new 50's or 60's plate?
    I sure didn't toss my original plates back in my younger days, as even then I thought they were pretty cool.

17. seems silly to run a YOM plate on a hot rod. fine if the car is a stock restoration but if it was hot rodded, i'd rather see a plate from the era the car represents.

Well, if you take a quick glance at my 1955 Thunderbird it looks like a totally stock 1955 Thunderbird. Pop the hood and you will see finned aluminum valve covers and a chrome lid open element air cleaner. Although they are on an OT for here engine they are not fake Y Block items but for the style SBF engine they are on. So, yes it is a Hot Rod with way more HP than an original even super charged stock car. Not trying to emulate anything just leave the hood closed and have a reliable "daily driver" that could go coast to coast if I wanted too. Not that an original equipment car could not do the same but my choice.

18. California requires 2 plates to register and the dmv checks to make sure the material is correct also. Most repo plates are aluminum and '47 was the only year of aluminum (and steel) in California. That's the thing, your use of the yom plates are up to the person behind the desk.....and they know very little. I had them claim my painted plates where plastic once (your NOT supposed to restore them), but I had a magnet.

The reason I had the repo one done was to keep the originals that I already had registered to the truck safe inside the truck. The only way a single will work is if it's a 1945 plate (one plate issued that year) or you find it's mate.....either way they still need to be clear.

The reason for the high price tag on 1951 plates is that California re-uses the plate numbers on new plates over the years. The configuration of 1947 and 1951 plates seem be hit hard, meaning that you could find many usable looking plates but the numbers are registered to something else that's newer....making the plates good looking wall hangers. I guess if you hold onto the plates, keep checking over the years, you could hit a window of opportunity that the numbers are out of the system and then register them.

Not all states will let you do that. Again here in Ca. it's either new plates or yom plates IF you have no plates on it currently.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    steveabilly and 6-bangertim like this.
  19. SR100

SR100

Many states replaced plates every year through most of the HAMB era (except WWII), so the original plate would only be on the car if it was parked within a year of new. I haven't seen any recent pics of prewar cars keeping 50s-60s plate issued to that car in period, but I'm sure it happened.

20. I do agree that some are clueless but I doubt that lecturing them on the law will normally have a happy ending.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    steveabilly and j3harleys like this.
  21. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Oh crap, I don't want to be lame. I'll have to get rid of those lame ass looking YOM 34 plates and get a pair of those really cool looking modern California plates.
    IMG_8546.JPG

Attached Files:

22. ElSolo

ElSolo

353869C5-DF84-48F7-9183-A24561F60B45.jpeg Idaho just had to submit plate number for approval and way cheaper than regular plates . Plate was a little rough but painted up nice .

guthriesmith likes this.
  23. primed34

primed34

Bought a YOM set for my '55 years ago, but I just can't make myself use them.

24. steveabilly

steveabilly

I do have a pair of those

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. 32partsguy

32partsguy
    from DFW,Texas!

Guilty as charged. LAME. LSRU 2019 7.jpg

warhorseracing likes this.