Register now to get rid of these ads!

Using the App

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by wraymen, Mar 2, 2021.

1. I’m not very computer savvy, So please pardon a stupid question.
    I’ve been wondering why so many choose to log on with the App instead of a browser when there seems to be problems associated with it.
    Faster? Easier? Are there things you can do on the App that you can’t do with a browser?

Thor1 likes this.
  2. Heck yeah man, keeps you from dealing with those pesky classified ads from what i hear ;)

Thor1 and wraymen like this.
  3. grumpy65

grumpy65

I have been watching this thread since it was posted, and waiting to see if anyone would step up with an opinion. As I expected, no real answers........... I honestly don't think people know exactly why they use apps. Seems to me that most have them purely because it is the modern 'done thing', and the sheep mentality dictates that you have to have what others have. The app industry has an exceptional 'need to have' hold over the majority of the population.

Apps have some small advantages, but feed far too much information back to the enterprise/designer, and are notoriously bad for security. It's all in the fine print, but hey, who reads that??? Not for me thanks............................:eek:

4. I actually thought that the app might free you from being tracked by the the likes of google etc. It’s sad to find out this is not true. In this crazy world we are now the product and the more info they can get the more valuable we become. :(
    The dark side of me didn’t expect too many answers/reasons why the app is better. I thought it might just be “the in thing to do” also.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Thor1 likes this.

5. grumpy65

grumpy65

Of course, I could just be paranoid............o_O

Thor1 likes this.
  6. My friends say that I’m paranoid. Well they never actually say it........ I Know That’s What They’re Thinking.;)

grumpy65 and Thor1 like this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Answer from me?

The app is ran by Tapatalk - not me. I have been in battles with them over their TOS and they promise me they aren't tracking... But honestly, it's out of my control. At one point, they asked me for user data... to "help" with their app. Nope.

And the app sucks...

As for the browser experience, read my TOS. I DO NOT track anyone. The only thing we drop is a cookie... and all this cookie does is track your logged in and logged off state.

I am a HUGE proponent of internet privacy. And while I use services like Google Adsense (logged off users) and other ad serves, I protect my user's privacy with EVERYTHING that I have.

brjnelson, bowie, grumpy65 and 3 others like this.
  8. grumpy65

grumpy65

Not all apps are necessarilly 'tracking' your activity, but apps do have a much greater ability to feed data back to the enterprise/ designer. I would trust that @Ryan is doing his utmost to protect us, but would definately not extend the same level of trust to others...........

Thor1 likes this.
  9. I usually browse the HAMB using the Chrome browser on my Android phone. I also have the app on my phone.
    What I like on the app is the choice to easily see the threads I have subscribed and threads I have participated. Makes it easy to go back and see the progress of the posts on those.

wraymen likes this.
  10. FritzFord

FritzFord

I like the app as it seems a bit better formatted for phones. Also pictures come up better displayed I think rather than a bunch of thumbnails

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

11. I don’t have a problem with pics on my iPhone. Thumbnails or full prints are just a tap away from full screen. I was just curious why it seems to be so popular. I’m slow to change, it’s only been a few years since I was logging in on a laptop.... I do miss the large screen though. Today, everything is a compromise no matter how hard they try and convince you it’s not.

Thor1 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  12. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

Guess I’ll play. I only use my iPhone (rarely ever a pc) with the App 99% of the time. I’m not a “app” person and I have no other social media accounts except an old LinkedIn page. I’m in front of screens all day so when I’m not working and have extra time I’ll
    pull it up on my phone. I can quickly see what has been added to each thread I subscribe to so that’s where I start. I can open it up with a browser but rarely do (if I’m looking for a price on a for sale item or if one of Wicarnut gas station pics load as a red X then I have to use the browser). I have no ads, can kill or report spam and all of the Mustang pics a few post all from my phone. I don’t sell anything but I can always use the browser. I suppose it’s what I’m use to and I live with a lot of computers for my job so I have zero in my house. It’s my phone or no HAMB for me. Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Hi everyone,
    I can't find the app with my new IPhone.
    Has it been removed?
    I feel dumb even asking......

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

15. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

This is the first time I've used the app in a LONG time as it was never working for me, weird that it's finally working fine for me but others don't like it.

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Don't plan on it.