Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Heater core leaking at tubes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63401nailhead, Feb 27, 2021.

1. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

Early 60’s F100, the heater core was trash so I replaced it with a cheapie new repop, hooked up the 5/8” heater hoses, tightened the hose clamps, but it seems almost like the inlet and outlet tubes are too small... or the hoses are too big. I keep getting water seeping out of the hose connection. I don’t want to crank too hard on the clamps because the tubes are soft as hell metal and they’ll bend or crimp easily. Any tricks that I could try to get a better seal around the tubes/hoses? Thanks

2. squirrel

squirrel

smaller hoses.

3. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I'll ask a seemingly obvious question, but, did you trim the ends of the hoses?

I had a similar thing happen on my off-topic car when I didn't trim back the hose. They had stretched just a little bit from age and the "bump" on the hard line, and let water past. After I trimmed them back, it stopped the leak.

mgtstumpy, Desoto291Hemi and fauj like this.
  4. measure the diameter of the tubes. Probably 1/2". If the outlet tubes are brass, you may be able to expand the tubes slightly. The other option is to use 1/2" hoses and change the fittings on the other end.

5. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

Yeah that was my thought was that maybe the inlet and outlet tubes on the heater core are slightly smaller diameter, too small for the 5/8” hoses, but if I went with a 1/2” hose, how would I connect the other ends to the water pump? Wouldn’t the hose be too small for the engine side ports?

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

sweat a bushing onto the heater tubes to get to 5/8. Make them out of brass or dig through box store's plumbing supplys they will have something close.

7. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

You'll figger out somehow. Jack E/NJ

hosebarb.jpg

Black_Sheep, mgtstumpy, WB69 and 2 others like this.
  8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

A little permitex might work (non hardening) if the hoses are the correct size

egads likes this.
  9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Swedge them if you can hold it.

10. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

Just ordered two of those reducers, gonna give that a try first. Thanks!

WB69 likes this.
  11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Maybe get the correct heater core? Lippy

Jim Bouchard and nochop like this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

I wonder if it’s for metric sized hoses? I had an issue like it recently on an OT vehicle. 1/2 in too small, 5/8th to big. Damned Chrysler product too.

13. Use new, resilient hoses and worm-drive hose clamps. Old hoses develop hardened pathways for fluid to pass.
    I like the BMW/Euro-style clamps, not the cheapie auto store trash.

KJSR likes this.
  14. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

Take your old ones off and go to NAPA or any auto parts store. They make those nipples in 1/2" and 5/8" sizes
    that will work. Bob

15. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

16. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not all water pumps have removable fittings. If they do, then change them out to smaller.
    I hope you also put new hose on at the same time you put a heater core in? I've seen old hoses get enlarged over time from heat and pressure. So maybe yours are old?

17. 63401nailhead

63401nailhead
    from DE

So I took the hoses back off and checked the inlet and outlet tubes again, and there’s no way a 1/2” hose is gonna fit over them, so I guess it definitely takes a 5/8” hose since I assume there isn’t anything in between. I’m using brand new hoses, so they should be true to size and not stretched out or anything.
    I just can’t figure out why I can’t seem to get a good tight seal and this thing still leaks out of both tubes. Maybe I’m being too gentle and I really just need to crank the clamps down tighter. Maybe I’ll try a coat of permatex on the ports.

18. fordor41

fordor41

if I have that problem, especially with distorted tubes, I coat the fittings with RTV, slide the hose on and let it set overnight, then install the clamps

19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

I have been seeing a lot of replacement parts being metric
    (O'Reillys Avance AutoZone).
    Especially the replacement aluminum heater cores instead of Brass.
    I have Used Good Quality commercial heat shrink, Remove hose , install heat shrink over Nipple , heat with Lighter / small torch . Then reinstall hose & clamp.,, & Most new worm scree clamps are Junk!!

WB69 likes this.
  20. Oldb

Oldb

Looks like you've narrowed it down to an odd size tube. I have seen silicone hose seep badly do to a poor cut. The hose has a string like reinforcement. If the hose is not cut clean and there are dangling strands that get pushed between the hose and tube coolant will wick out of the string strands. I doubt that is your problem, but thought I would throw it out just in case.
    B

21. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Cut two pieces of hose that just barely fits over the tubes, get it hot and spray WD-40 over it first.. Then slide the hose over top the the sleeved tubes, first get it hot then spray with WD-40 also..

22. goldmountain

goldmountain

Maybe try putting some heat shrink tube on the tubing to make it a wee bit larger.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Not too many things ruin a trip any worse than leaking water hoses and the resultant overheating. Fix it right so you don't have to worry about breaking down. Your wife or significant other will be happier. Again, as I suggested above, get a tube expander and you might even look into one of the small bead rollers to put a bead in the tube if needed. Cheaper to buy one of these than to hire a wrecker.

https://thediyoutlet.com/products/7...uau5-NvPzmn3TG6ZYD5Hcep5HAOHLGPRoC8asQAvD_BwE