Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1940 wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeltaBravo(DB), Mar 1, 2021.

1. In the next month or so I hope to be getting around to re-installing my wiring harnesses. I labled everything that was still connected so I can put it back where I found it or reverse engineer a new one but went ahead and ordered a large color wiring schematic(classiccarwiring.com) because I can't see the one in my manual without a magnifying glass. This diagram is very nice but gave me IMG_3534.JPG IMG_3535.JPG as many questions as answers. Can you guys explain the terminology in the legend? Example what is natural with green tracer, etc. And why is the positive post of the battery connected to ground? I've heard talk about this type of system but have no experience with it.

2. squirrel

squirrel

It's positive ground

Natural means the natural color of the cloth insulation, without any dye. A tracer is a color that shows up in only a few threads of the insulation. (this applies to the original type cloth covered wire, using the original color codes...does it seem to match your harness?)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    DeltaBravo(DB) and firstinsteele like this.
  3. Thanks for the input Squirrel. I need to do a little reading on positive ground systems but looking at the overall diagram I see that this is the reverse of what I'm accostumed to seeing. Seems really odd but I'll get it. Thanks for the insight on the tracer too. I labled the wiring harness connections as I removed each connection and put the front and rear harnesses in a big plastic bin on a shelf about three years ago so so I'll need to have another close look at it. As I recall the wires themselves were still in remarkably good shape but most of the cloth had deteriorated. What was left I just remember being brown. If the labels haven't faded I should know where 95% of it goes but would really like a better understanding of why. The other 5% or so was cut off or modified/bypassed.

4. squirrel

squirrel

If the insulation is flaking or cracking, you really ought to buy a new harness....

5. Yes looking at new harnesses and also using the old one as a model to build one myself. New ones are out there but putting a strain on the budget.

6. If you want to hand build your own harness and would like it to look stock visit this web sight.
    Rhode Island Wiring Service Inc.
    www.riwire.com

They have every connector and cloth covered wire in correct gauge you will need to do it right. You can also buy a total or partial harness pre made. WARNING! it's not Cheep but all there products are worth the cost if you want things as they were. Heck, they even have the little Brass Buttons to solder in for dash and taillight bulb contacts. I shop there often.

DeltaBravo(DB) likes this.
  7. Mac VP

Mac VP

Whatever new harness you buy, regardless of where you purchase it......will be absolutely better than keeping the old stuff in the car. You can save some money (probably not a huge amount) by making up the wiring yourself, but it will be an important investment in peace of mind. I also recommend putting a battery cut off switch in the system and train yourself to make it part of your end-of-drive routine to throw that switch every time you leave the car for more than a few minutes.

8. Budget36

Budget36

The other question would be are you staying with 6 volt or going to 12 volt? If staying with 6 volt and you plan on a new harness, make sure you tell the company you buy it from you’re staying 6 volt so the wire gauge is sized correctly.

DeltaBravo(DB) and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a universal kit from Rebel Wire (Alliance Vendor) for the rewire of my '39 p/u. Much cheaper than a direct fit original harness. Rebel makes a kit for 6volt systems as well as 12 volts. There are other vendors who make universal harnesses also. Something to consider when deciding which route to go.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    DeltaBravo(DB) likes this.