Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Two tone paint on steel wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Feb 28, 2021.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Many moons ago I saw pictures of regular steel wheels that were custom painted with a lighter metallic color on the rim and the outer part of the spider, then the area just where the lugs are is painted in a similar but darker color. That topped off with either a spider cap or just chrome lug nuts.
    I’ve been trying to find pictures of that but to no avail, does anyone have some in their archive?

2. you might be thinking of wheels that are painted silver flake as a base coat then fogged either within the inner or the outer rings to give a fade effect, It looks good with spider caps with the trim ring.
    Or just split the colors with a pinstripe. Sorry no pics.

3. Don't know about 2 paint colors. I do remember people painting the lug area the same color oe complimenting color as the color of the car on chrome wheels.

I got an idea that 2 tone wheels could be pretty cool though. I hope someone has pics.

Hey while you are reading ( @El Caballo ) shoot me an opinion here. I am thinking about painting a pair of Ansen Sprints black except for the bead area which I an thinking of leaving polished. What do ya think? Too weird for everyone but me?

Chavezk21, southerncad and alanp561 like this.
  4. catdad49

catdad49

Sounds like a George Barris “how-to” advertising the New Spider Caps. I believe he fogged around the center with candy colors. Sorry, the details are a little foggy!

El Caballo likes this.

5. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Car Craft August 1961. The cover has George Barris and the bastardized Chrisman coupe.

Car Craft Aug 1961.jpg

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember when spider first came out they were advertised in the speedshops by me on fade painted wheels not chrome...Chrome rims were pretty new then...

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

God Chrismans car looking like that just makes me want to puke...

302GMC likes this.
  8. catdad49

catdad49

That’s the One! Just imagine that you are an almost 12 year East coast kid at the local news stand and you see this cover ( plus allowance money in your pocket). Are you gonna buy it? You Betcha! George was always a little over the top and this creation showed up on “The Dobie Gillis Show” along with Maynard G. Krebs. It wasn’t until many years later that I found out how much Cooler the original version was! What a great time to grow up, Carp.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Car Craft turned to shit when they went big ...

10. The Car Craft cover seems to be chrome wheels with one color of candy paint on selected places. That's technically not two-tone. But I'm sure a lot of various color combinations were experimented with, including 2 colors, over the years.

11. ...I thot these were pretty neat...can't tell if they are wide-fives with a custom cap or ?
    eyeball 8-18-12 067.jpg

catdad49 likes this.
  12. Budget36

Budget36

Ok, I’m a bit goofy maybe, but say use a small black center cap, paint the inside of the wheel red, the paint the rim portion black (I know, not all HAMB PC for what I’m calling the stuff). I think would look good. Sorta break things up if you will(wheel;) )

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here’s an idea, paint them as you described and leave the slots aluminum. Or use a slate grey color and be sure to have a nice shiny center cap. The contrast between the slate grey and the aluminum would be something to see in my opinion. I’m guessing that the Ansens are pretty beat, so nothing to lose.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  14. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you 36cab, just what I was looking for.

36cab likes this.
  15. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Rusty, I have one of those rims on my 1963 Galaxie right now, so there are some out there 5x4.5 to be had.

16. catdad49

catdad49

The original two tone wheel. Please don't hate, especially if you never had one!
    vintage vw.jpg

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  17. Not a steel stocker but my Rockets are two toned

20171007_144122.jpg

18. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

My steel wheels are two tone :D
    20170818_090925 (2).jpg

RRanchero Rick likes this.
  19. gene-koning

gene-koning

Back when we ran a hobby car at the local dirt track, we always had two tone painted wheels, a few times we ventured into 3 color wheels.
    The rim was nearly always silver or white, and the hub was nearly always body color. When we did the 3 color, the center area around the lug nuts was painted black, or silver if the rims were white. I'd show you pictures, but the cars we ran were all off topic for here. Gene