Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your state require a front license plate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 1, 2021.

1. is this something new? WI has always been a two plate state

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. Off topic, Perhaps. Missouri, on 3/4 ton and larger trucks, has NO back plate. My son, visiting this last month was stopped twice in the same small town for no back plates.

Ben

Nostrebor, RICH B and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

Colorado - 1948 an older issues only 1 plate.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

No in Ohio

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  5. AHotRod

AHotRod

6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Yep, I believe its universal across this country, both front and rear, unless it's an older car with current registration that hasn't lapsed as cars back then were only issued with a rear mounted single plate like my '48 GM Holden.
    Nowadays both plates are mandatory and must be visible for road safety; number recognition technology, toll roads and speed cameras ;) I was pulled over when I was 18 and asked why my car didn't have a front plate as a prelude to being issued with a traffic ticket. However once I explained the original plate law I was allowed to go. :D
    5525357.jpg

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Ned Ludd, Lil32 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. 5window

5window

Not in PA. I run YOMs on mine in the front.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Nope ! not in Florida. I 've seen the space used for car name or funny backword read,but don't care for front plate thing anyway !

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. 2935ford

2935ford

We just went to one plate......yeah! :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Sure looks stupid no matter where you hang it. Mass 1960
    scan0018.jpg scan0036.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. mickeyc

mickeyc

Never in Louisiana yet. The thing is a Louisiana plate resembles a modern
    California plate closely. I had a trooper in Cali pull me over for no plate.
    I explained that my state did not require a front plate. He looked at me
    in curious manner and walked to look at the rear plate. He thought at
    first glance it was a local plate. No ticket or problem he was cool.

5window likes this.
  12. ken1949car

ken1949car
    from chicago

I never ran one on my OT vette for 20 years in Illinois until my wife grabbed it a couple of times to park at City of Chicago parking garages/lots. One at Midway airport, one at O'Hare.
    Instant $75 ticket.

13. Not only no here in By God WV but HEII NO!
    Cav Guidon.png
    This is the front plate on my OT pick up and will be the only one!

14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Their special ... “bless their hearts”

Nostrebor and 51504bat like this.
  15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One plate in Kentucky.

16. Rramjet1

Rramjet1

Collector car only need one plate in WA. State. YOM plates count as collector plates.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. goldmountain

goldmountain

One plate in Alberta. A front one would really mess up my newly plated nerf bar.

18. rpm56

rpm56

Ya, mostly. When I was scratching tickets for a living we used no front plates as probable cause to pull over vehicles. Smart coppers wouldn't write a ticket for the missing front plate as to allow other coppers a reason to later pull over that car. No new BMW has a provision for front plates. An LAPD LAX cop wrote me a ticket while our X5 was parked in the long term parking there. It was a non fix it ticket, pay the fine thank you deal. Pretty chicken $hit of them.

19. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I found out that one reason that Washington state wants you to have front plates is so they can bill you for driving in the drive in less traffic for fee lanes. I got over in that lane to get past some slow moving rigs on 405 near Belleview and got a bill for driving in the lane a week or so later even though I probably only drove a mile in it.

The Bumper on my OT fun car doesn't have a designed place for a license plate. I have a bracket that mounts the plate in the hole for the tow hook but haven't installed it and probably won't unless I get stopped for it.

I've been told that the main reason they want to keep the front plate is that they use it to bounce the radar of as it doesn't always read right on plastic front ends of later cars. How much truth there is to that is debatable.

21. Lil32

Lil32

as Mark said,front and rear plates
    I was fined $260 in a country town cos the cop thought that my
    front plate was bent back,rule was it must be vertical so cameras and children
    can read them and report you
    I asked the cop did he think I was a child molester
    "no no" he said
    we teach children stranger danger
    a friend ran a red light and was fined $ 180,where is the justice

22. 1ton

1ton

Noticed one day that my front plate was missing on my 99 chevy cargo van. I paid for a replacement. Went to mount it and the holes in the bumper did not match the plate. Found that I was also missing the snap on plastic plate bracket that was installed only in states where front plates are required. So instead of drilling new holes or replacing the bracket I tossed the plate on the dash and never had a problem. A buddy of mine had the same year work van and he was missing his as well. I watched for other chevy trucks and vans of similar years and was surprised to find that roughly half of them were missing the front plate and plastic bracket as well.

23. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Country and province, both. Our plates are about 20" x 4½", Western Cape ones are black on white, but they'll let white-on-black plates pass on cars from the time, pre-'70s, when the plates officially were that way. Once you've got that you can usually get away with a little Italian-size front plate.

24. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

That 57 is so nice.....

[​IMG]

Packrat and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  25. Sporty45

Sporty45

Interesting question. I know in New Hampshire front and rear plates are required on new stuff, but not sure about the old stuff. You can run YOM plates though, but most years were 2 plates. However, my 47 plate was a one plate only year, so it would seem that one plate would be OK at least for that year. Hmmm...will have to do some research on this :cool:

26. Plates? What plates? I thought plates were meant for the dinner table!

Lil32 likes this.
  27. 5window

5window

Somebody has a nice collection in their garage-backing plates and all!

28. I've been told that two plates are required in Maryland, recently someone told me that only one is required on classics.
    Guess I should look it up...

29. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago a buddy had an OT Dodge charger with a Budweiser front license plate. He mounted the CA plate to the side but still visible. When he was in Huntington Beach he walked back to his parked car just as a meter maid (ops, parking enforcement officer) was writing a fix it ticket for no front plate. He pointed out the relocated front plate. The meter maid called a bike cop who told him the plate had to be displayed in the center of the car, not to the side. I guess it was a slow day towards the ticket quota.:cool:

Budget36 likes this.
  30. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

One thing that comes through on many of these replies is defiance. It goes back to our Founding Fathers. We don't like being told what to do! And the dumber the rule/law, the more defiant we are.

Tman likes this.