Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reusing old Ford spindles and kingpins

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Boxcar's 1928, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Need some guidance on something I'm working on. I've got a 37-41 front axle assembly that I've broke down last night.... I plan to reuse the round back spindles with the addition of new bushings (supplier unknown) I was considering the potential use of the kingpins (supplier unknown) but suspect that as there is some level of wear to the bearing surfaces....they are typically replaced.. Is that correct? At the time of this post...I have yet to search suppliers....recommendations?

FWIW....I've got a new 4in drop axle that I'll be throwing all these used parts at...hopefully there's no surprises.

Trying to understand the steps to sync a new kingpin to a new bushing in a new axle. Any input is appreciated.

R/
    Boxcar

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Last one I did I just bought a kit, pressed in the new bushings and reamed them to fit the new pins. Sometimes used pins are ok to reuse as long as they mic out ok....I like new. There are several different suppliers out there, I'm not sure of any quality differences between them.

Big mike 1968 and dana barlow like this.
  3. You will need to replace the king pins along with the bushings... and the bushings will have to be reamed or honed after they are installed.

Big mike 1968 and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  4. adam401

adam401

Are the kingpins tight in the spindle now with no slop? If yes just run them. If theyre sloppy buy a kit and install and ream the bushings or have it done at a machine shop.
    I personally would and do run original kingpins if they're in passable shape with new bushings but thats me

5. rusty valley

rusty valley

new pins and bushings are cheap to assure a nice handling car. what brand of new axle have you bought, there are some bad ones out there

Big mike 1968 and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Cant speak Chinese.... No idea, no mfgr info...a Swapmeet buy. Fingers crossed.

Big mike 1968 likes this.
  7. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

The only thing to watch out for, whether you do it or a shop does it, is to use a piloted ream on the bushings. Without one the bushings will be reamed out of line and bind up when the spindle is rotated.
    This ream is specifically intended for reaming king pin bushings:
    ream.jpg

8. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

So before I broke it all down...everything was pretty stove up (tight) but it was a mess. One side the bushings came out in pieces...the other side, both were together.

I did randomly mic the pin and while rotating in a few places...I did find a few thou variance here and there (after having cleaned them up with a wire wheel) Would like to avoid a machine shop bill if I could accomplish the job.

I'm not sure if I'm adequately informed to attempt a reamer operation. I'm assuming that is not a...dare I say Hand job...sorry

Big mike 1968 and bchctybob like this.
  9. bchctybob

bchctybob

What Doublepumper said... It's important to have the correct reamer but if you have a good old front end or truck repair shop nearby they may have a Sunnen hone that's set up for honing king pin bushings. They absolutely must be reamed or honed on the same centerline for the king pins to slide in properly. I wouldn't have any problem reusing the old king pins if they are smooth and mike out good. Chances are they are made of better stuff than the reproduction parts we get these days.

Wanderlust and rusty valley like this.
  10. rusty valley

rusty valley

there is a guy on the barn that does bushings with a long wooden dowel with emery paper ! i dont recommend it, but its been done by many i am sure. the reamer shown by doublepumper is the home method, but not worth buying unless you plan more than one use. most folks have an engine shop hone them on a sunnen hone for a perfect fit and usually around 50 bucks. new bushings are made smaller than the pin so they can be machined to size after being installed. the pins wont go in without it

bchctybob and Boxcar's 1928 like this.
  11. adam401

adam401

I believe its a long .812 reamer. Maybe someone near you will help a brother out if you install them. I dont know what kinda car scene youve got near you.
    Id consider not using a possibly cheap cast axle. It may be a good quality axle you bought but without any marks its a little suspect. I'm a guy that builds on a budget but I like Henry axles. It might be fine. You'll see I guess.

Boxcar's 1928 likes this.
  12. bchctybob

bchctybob

It used to be one or two uses and the reamer would pay for itself but I just looked and they are $120 - up. I paid $85 for mine 25 years ago. You may find that a machine shop bill is in your future unless you have a friend who has a reamer.
    Depending on the axle you will probably have to reshape the steering arms on each spindle. There are threads on here on how to do it.

13. Fordors

Fordors

Nobody is going to look down on you, but for your own personal safety can you post a photo of the axle you bought?

clem likes this.
  14. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

I did the same as what you are describing here not long ago. I bought a kingpin set from Speedway (I know, cheap stuff) and brought everything to a shop. $120.00 done. Normally I like do do everything myself but I am very happy with the deal.

15. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

The car scene around me sucks (as far as I can tell) NW Florida. There is an old school shop near but I'm a little suspect of their practices.

I just sent an email to a local machine shop that I respect...will see if he asks me to drop by. Told him that I can show with all the parts for him to better understand the job/quote. Suspect I'll go ahead and finish cleaning the parts, primer and paint so I don't have to brake it all down to paint later. I'm early in the build but could touchup on it later I suppose.

A friend of mine thought I was crazy when I told him how hot I had to get those holes to drive the damn pins out...he acted as if he's never heard of such nonsense. I suspect he's either never done it himself or nothing this early. Am I missing something? I had ti use a oxy/Acetly rig and torch with a cheap propane torch blowing on the otherside...then I used both an air hammer w/punch and a brass pin and mini slege to drive em out.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  16. rusty valley

rusty valley

you need an engine rebuilder shop, thats where to find a sunnen hone, normally used to fit piston pins

Nailhead A-V8 and Boxcar's 1928 like this.
  17. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Sure....here ya go. Overall, I thought it looked as clean as a typical Speedway or Lucky. Suspect I'll take a flap wheel to the casting marks before I paint. I'm going for well executed with what I have available. This will not be a runway car.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  18. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is the new front axle? There are a lot of cast axles on the market, but you should stay away from them. Do some reading on the subject. If you ask around you may have a friend, or a friend of a friend, that has the correct size adjustable piloted reamer to do the kingpin bushings. And the reamer is a hand job. If not, take them to a shop to get them done either with a reamer or a machine hone, like a Sunnen. Don't try to use a ball hone, brake cylinder hone, emery paper, etc.

19. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Got it Jim. I believe it'll go to a shop so it's done right. This is what I got. It'll be fine up until it's not I guess. Maybe the shop can give me some additional perspective on it once they look it over and size up the job.

20. rusty valley

rusty valley

only the spindles need to go to a shop, not the axle. you can put the bushings in at home, dont forget to line up the grease zerk hole

21. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

yeah just take the king pin kit complete with NEW pins and just the spindles to a shop and have them install and fit them.

I've done more sets than I can count on all my fingers and toes and thats going around them several times!

want to have fun, try doing it on semi truck spindles, those are always a blast....

If you decide to do it yourself, do yourself a big favor and buy an adjustable reamer, I would'nt own or use a one size reamer. I prefer to take small cuts and work up to my final fit. With the adjustable reamer I can put the bushing to pin fit anywhere I want it to be.

honestly thinking about it after the last 40 yrs I've probably done several hundred sets.....

blue 49 and Boxcar's 1928 like this.
  22. Check the pin you are going to use,and make sure they fit the axle.I bought a new axle from SoCal,and the king pin wouldnt drop in.....at all. I had the end reamed to fit the pit. As for the spindles.....dont put the new bushings in,and pay to ream them until you have the steering arms figured out.Often they need to be heated ,and bent.You dont want to heat new bushings you just paid for only to find the heat affected them some how,and their now looser.Save the fitting until your sure of your steering arm set up.

bchctybob, Boxcar's 1928, X38 and 2 others like this.
  23. rusty valley

rusty valley

very good point ^^^^, keep the old king pins and bushings in until the plan comes together

24. deucemac

deucemac

I agree with Rusty Valley. I have both reamed and honed king pin bushings and get lots longer life by honing. Hand reams almost always chatter to some extent. That leaves high spots that quickly flatten out and the fit is now slightly loose and shortens the life of the bushings. A good operator using a Sunnen pin hone can give you the precise clearance you need without chatter and longer bushing life. Just my 2 cents worth, I have been doing them for over 50 years (darn, I feel old just admitting that!) and learned from practice?

25. I would put the spindles on the axle and see if the steering arms will swing lock-to-lock.

If you need to heat and bend the arms; you will want to use the old kingpins and thrust bearing along with the old bushings in the spindles.

Maybe see where the tie rod needs to go if you are bending things.

rusty valley likes this.
  26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For a lifetime fit, you might try the needle bearing kits that replace bronze bushings and eliminate honing/reaming. They are not cheap but outlast the car if lubricated occasionally. Also, you can do the job and save labor from someone else.

27. Fordors

Fordors

The reason I asked was to see if you bought a cast or forged axle. I see what look like forging laps that have been ground to smooth them out. The upper and lower forging dies extrude material and it will be 3/8”wide C8AFF4AE-5E05-48C1-9422-DF64374CCC37.jpeg or greater, a casting would only have a narrow, knife edged look to it rather than the wide one seen in your photos.

28. Budget36

Budget36

I’ve always wondered about those. I’ve some questions on how to use it, but if you explain the process it will save my thumbs some work from me asking them;)

29. Michael Ottavi

Michael Ottavi

This is what the warning about cast axles is all about. I would not go any further with your project till I was 100% sure you have a forged axle. My ribs still hurt after this failure years later. fullsizeoutput_7e3.jpeg

30. Budget36

Budget36