Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does your state require a front license plate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Mar 1, 2021.

1. In South Carolina we were required to have a front and rear license plates until 1974, it sure cleaned up the front of my Model A when I no longer had to hang a plate from the headlight bar. HRP

3W JOHN, dana barlow and chevy57dude like this.
  2. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Not on '48 or older. But ya gotta have it in the car.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

4. Yes, unless you have Nebraska YOM or Historical plates.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.

5. Budget36

Budget36

I think we do, but I just realized my daily hasn’t had the front one one for a few years. Was backed into or something and one of those plastic inserts broke so I took the plate off.
    Thanks for the reminder;)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Yes, we're supposed to have one, but I don't know if there is a cut-off date where one is no longer required. I'll have to research that. I'd hate to stick on on the front of my A.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. 27 Tall T

27 Tall T
    from Butler Pa.

8. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Colorado requires it but after the car wash ripped the front plate off of my daily I tossed it in the back and forgot about it. I expect that the local law enforcement will talk to me about it at some point.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

Not for decades in Arizona.

Sent from my Trimline

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    bob b. and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I didn't realize some states at one time required two, and then backpedaled. Usually the ratchet only turns one way. Not always, but usually. Maybe four (4) plates would be mo' bettah? Or even five - one for the top. Make it easier for the eye in the sky.

I renewed registration this year and received new plates, new number. The form said that the old plates were "nearing the end of their useful service life" or some BS like that. They looked fine to me. Not sure why they do this. It doesn't cost any extra, so no big deal I guess.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. Ziggster

Ziggster

None required here in La Belle Province.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Yes, but not if you run Antique registration, and YOM plates (Texas)

slim38 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  13. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

No sir. Not in the mitten. But we have plenty of other laws that make little to no sense... So we're good.

Rickybop, KevKo and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. Front and rear for regular and vanity plates, and only rear for special interest, antique and moter cycles here in Oeygun.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. Not in 'Bama. Hell, there are some running around down here that don't even have one on the back! Where is a cop when you need 'em...

1stGrumpy, '51 Norm, Chicster and 2 others like this.
  16. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Front and rear in CA. Think it now has something to do with plate readers for toll roads and bridges.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Supposed to in Sodak but I have never seen it enforced on early hotrods. Just kept it stored inside with my reg.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  18. I hear you Don, Alabama doesn't have the exclusive of being the only state where clowns with no insurance or license plates put us in harms way. HRP

3W JOHN, 1stGrumpy and 56don like this.
  19. Dennis D

Dennis D

No in Missouri

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. 151.jpg I think we still do here in Virginia. But I've never put one on my Rods. I do carry it in the car just in case they ever ask. Like many other things on my rods. I figure if I do the crime. I'll just pay the fine. So good so far, knock on wood.:rolleyes: Ron....

Lil32, Just Gary, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  21. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not in NC!

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. topher5150

topher5150

Negative ghostrider

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Not in LA

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Before the SCDMV allowed YOM license plates for the rear a lot of guys ran them and kept the issued one in the car.

Now with a YOM plate we are required to have the yearly sticker & registration together so we don't have to put it on the old license plate.. HRP

3W JOHN likes this.
  25. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

New York does require a front plate, but I have Y.O.M. plates on my '46 Woodie and in N.Y. in '46, because of the steel shortage right after the war, only one plate was issued.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  26. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

California - got fix it ticket over the years on two cars - one was a general check for loud pipes, too low, etc - other was a OT that was pulled over for - law to give Police easier ID for stolen car, etc

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. dan31

dan31

Not for QQ ( over 25 years old) plates in NJ, but yes for D.D.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Washington has gotten wishy-washy about it. They only furnish one plate if using a state-issued 'collector' or 'historic' plate and you only need one if using a YOM plate. You're supposed to run two plates if using 'regular' ones, but they have an exception of no front plate required if it would be a 'hardship' to install one; think exotics with no provision for a front plate. In practice this means some owners don't install the front plate mount (Corvettes and late Mustangs to name two) so they've been allowing them to skate.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes with the exception of Corvette owners who are “special”... “bless their hearts”

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Flathead Dave and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  30. Virginia still requires a front plate, but......like you say, the cops don't seem to care......I have been running 1975 California "black" plates on my '35 Pick up, and no one seems to care......the real Virginia plates are sitting on the seat if I need them.

Ron Funkhouser and HOTRODPRIMER like this.