Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aircraft guys... airframe construction books?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Aug 1, 2006.

1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking for good books that would show various techniques (new and of course OLD) for constructing airframes. Riveting, metal forming, etc. Can you guys recommend some good books?

Borrowing an Air Force manual (AFM 52-11, Jan. 1960) and there's some good basic stuff in there on different fasteners and fastening methods (including clecos, riveting, metalworking, shrinking stretching, etc.)

Any info would be good. Will look in Aircraft Spruce when I get home.

Thanks!

2. Dugg

Dugg

Some years ago I bought several books on aircraft/maintenance from the Government Printing Office local store. Try http://bookstore.gpo.gov/

3. deuce295

deuce295

Check out the EAA, ( Experimental Aircraft Association ), website. Lots of the type of info and links your looking for.

4. jetmek

jetmek

try IAP,INC .... 1-800-443-9250, po box 10000, caspar wy. 82602-1000 request an aviation publications catalog. the catalog i have is from 1994 but if they are still in business they will have the info you need....

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks guys!! I'll check those out. I appreciate it!!

6. banzaitoyota

banzaitoyota

This is an excellant reference:

http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks7/airweld/index.html

Aircraft Welding

by L S Elzea
    reprinted by Lindsay Publications

Boneheads think you must have the latest high tech equipment before you can do good work. Gotta have a CNC machining center, a network analyzer, or the latest MIG or TIG welder. Nuts. A craftsman can work wonders with simple tools. And it's that craftsmanship that is taught here.

In 1942 Walter Beech commented "The Beech Aircraft Corporation at the present time has in its employ more welders who have been trained under the supervision of Mr. Elzea than have come from any other one source."

So how were WWII airplanes put together? Rivets. And welds produced by oxy-acetylene torches. Here you get the secrets of how metal tubes and other components were combined to build engine mounts, landing gear, and whole fuselages. This is about high performance welding with simple gear.

Chapters include: equipment, tools, weld characteristics and types, stress, jigs, methods of construction, welding aluminum and stainless, exercises in welding steel aluminum and stainless, drawings and prints, air corps specifications and more.

Since this is a textbook published to train the countless welders that were to be needed for war production, you know that it is simply written, loaded with straight-to-the-point how-to, and is heavily illustrated with photos from Boeing, Douglass, Beech, North American, Martin, Lockheed, Cessna, Ryan, and other aviation firms.

If you really want to make your torch do amazing things, then a copy of this book and get started. Excellent book. Get one. 8-1/2 x 11 softcover 121 pages

No. 22911 ...$15.95

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW!!!!!! :eek: I want every book on there list!! Thank you so much for the link! I ordered their catalog and I'm probably going to order that book too.

THANKS!:D

8. HonkyTonker

HonkyTonker
    from Irving, TX

You might find something useful in this book.

AC 43-13-1b Change 1. Its Free on the Faa.gov web site. Its more
    of a standard practices. Its a awesome resource for us A&P mechanics.
    use the link below and open the chapter pdf file. covers everything from
    dope and fabric - to inspection procedures - fasteners - ton-0-stuff..

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulator...99C827DB9BAAC81B86256B4500596C4E?OpenDocument

Neal0o

9. I have a copy of "The Aviation Mechanic" printed 1941 by Norcross and Quinn.
    A lengthy text (550+ pages), I think it may cover what you are looking for, the rivetting section alone has 20 pages devoted to all aspects of rivetting.
    The book seems aimed at the beginner, though far above high school texts. In addition, there are period notes on separate pieces of paper sprinkled about the pages.
    I also have two texts on navigation, one from the "War Department" (TM 1-205, Nov. 25, 1940), the other a school text (1944), and a copy of "Aviation Cadet" (Henry Lent) which looks like U.S. Navy propaganda to entice youngsters to join the Navy, also printed 1941.
    P.M. me if interested. Include offerings, OR, should I "HAMB auction" this stuff??
    Cosmo
    P.S. Found a copy of "Civil Pilot Training Manual" also 1941

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PMing you.... I'm interested

11. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. KnuckleBuster

KnuckleBuster

Lindsay Publications has some outrageous books. There are so many cool "Old Time" technical books there that you could spend a long time on the shitter learning how to build your own steam engine, etc.

I'm reading the aircraft welding book now and it's probably the best welding book I've ever seen. Their aircraft metal forming book looks pretty good, too - I've got it, just haven't read it yet.

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let me know what you think of those two books. I'm thinking of buying them also!

Thanks!

Oh, and.... yes GREAT books to keep next to the throne!! :D

14. The 43-13 is an A+P's Bible...

15. Scooter has his book on the way...anyone for the rest (above), or is there enough interest to "HAMB auction" them?? Remember, these are all just pre-WWII, save the navi one, which is during the conflict.
    Cosmo
    Again, PM me with offers...

16. Ranchero

Ranchero

Tony Bingelis published several contemporary books on home building aircraft which cover wood, aluminium, and other construction techniques. He (now passed away) was very highly regarded within the EAA and these books are looked upon very favorably. You can buy them here:

http://www.sportair.org/howto.html