Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buying can be hard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldwood, Feb 27, 2021.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

I discovered pieces of a Model T coupe body behind a house that I needed for my car. Knocked on the door for months and there was never anyone home. Finally discover someone who knew the owner of the place and relayed them some money for the parts but never met them face to face. Another time, I went to pick up a car half way across Saskatchewan and the owner forgot I was coming and made other plans. He left a note on the door that said come take the car and send him the money; the shop was unlocked if I needed access to tools.

VANDENPLAS, Squablow and hotrodjack33 like this.
  2. Was after a 50 Ford club coupe for years. One day it looked like the light (sun) was shining on it as it sat at the end of that driveway. Called the owner a few days later and they said I might not want it - the neighbor's tree had fell across the trunk and top - it was backed in - so it was hard to tell but that was a shade tree that fell. Pushed out the the dents as much as I could - put a few new valve's in it and that was one of the smoothest running flatheads to date - and never ran HOT !!!!!

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

I do have to say that in my experience, people of that area are some of the best I've ever met.

4. Hmm... I've bought lots of cars by knocking on the door. Hell, I've been given cars that way. My son would never have gotten his shubox coupe if we hadn't knocked on an old widow's door and made an offer. 55freebiepontiac.jpg jeremyfirstcar.jpg

Joel W, olscrounger and GordonC like this.
  5. You got that right! The "Christine" fans would jump all over that car in a heartbeat!!

6. ...that 46 coupe don't look too bad;...I stop'd at a farm many years ago to ask if the 46 Chevy flatbed in the pasture was for sale;...guy said it was his dad's and would like to fix it up someday;..I left a note on a piece of paper with my phone number written with a pencil,he stuck it on a nail in the barn;...TEN years later the guy calls and said he'd sell the truck,..I got it at a reasonable price and he help'd me load it onto my trailer.
    ...never hurts to ask.

7. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Got a text from the woman last night: Sorry but we decided we really don't want to get rid of the old car. So I guess this car will eventually rot away or go to the crusher. While looking at the car I picked up 4 pieces of stainless that were buried in the mud and pine needles. I wonder what happened to the front bumper, hood, grill, heads, intake, transmission, seats, rear end, front suspension. If she really cared about the car you would think they would have kept it complete.

8. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

I had an truck sitting in the yard next to the driveway for years it was given to me to save it from the crusher. When family members found out the old man in his eighties gave the truck to me they refused to give up the title. I worked my ass off getting it off his property. It had a tree growing through the engine compartment and limbs and root in twined through axles and frame . I suffered from a spider bite as well. I would have let them have it back if they would have approach me a little nicer. Screw these unknown people harping at me. One day a knock on the door, our you wanting to sell? I proceeded to tell him there was no title but it is still for sale. Nope it’s got to have a title! Have a nice day . Next day Code Enforcement shows up.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Squablow

Squablow

That's a shame. If I got that text, I would reply back "OK, thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Please keep my number. If you ever change your mind or your situation changes, let me know, I would be very interested. Thanks again, Oldwood"

I've gotten a few things that way. Sometimes people say no for whatever reason, but then later on, their mood changes and they'll want to get rid of it all of a sudden, I think a lot of project cars get sent to scrap like that. Suddenly, they're in an "everything needs to go" cleanout phase, and they want the shit gone, and fast. Other times, they're just hurtin' to make a couple hundred quick bucks. If they remember you as polite but also very serious, you might get the chance to grab them before the scrapper does. It's not sure-fire, but it's worth a shot.

11. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

Almost the same words I used. I didn't offer a lot for the car but there is not much there and fuel and loading it was going to be a pain. There were a few cars that were hauled away to the crusher and a man said one was a Cougar. I would have upped my offer if she had called but not going any further till she makes a move to really sell it. I chase anything but old Mopars are my passion.

Squablow likes this.
  12. Unique Rustorations

Unique Rustorations

While this might have already been mentioned here (apologize if so) but if I spot something I’m interested in then I will plan my trip back (usually with cash - at least for a down payment) and always drive one of my similar vehicles. So in my case I’m always looking for old Pontiacs so I’ll drive one there. My ‘64 GTO usually gets people talking and even if it’s not for sale I’ll give them my business card and I will already have written on the back that I’m interested in the old xxxx on the back. It’s all in the approach imo. While I may want to buy it ultimately I would just like to see it back on the road.

While this might seem far out there but if I like the owner and clearly they are not physically able to do the work I would offer to help. A Saturday spent weed eating around it, airing up tires and swapping in a battery would ensure I would be remembered when the time came for it to be sold plus I could get a good look at it and find out why it was parked to begin with.

Regards, Randy

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  13. You kids get offa my lawn!!!

14. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

The worst is the idiots who remove the tarp covering a vehicle, do not put it back on or fail to secure it if the did,
    then have the balls to lowball you. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I came home to an uncovered truck,
    then found a note left in the door with either just a phone number or a low ball offer.

15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

My great grandfather was a trapper , I've toyed with the idea of setting a trap next to my stored vehicles in back of the garage , respect for children & animals have kept me from doing so ..

16. I sold my 53 Chrysler when me and my friends where sitting at a patio bar in the city and an older gentleman was looking over the car walking around it, pointing at this n that and talking to the couple people who where with him, I yelled out something silly like “ you like the car or something like that” he turns around tells me he loves it and if it’s for sale ?
    I said yes , sure everything’s for sale.

he off s me about 4X what I got into it , I say sold! He runs off to a bank machine and gives me a deposit, following Monday comes by my work with the rest of the cash and a tow truck.
    Simple, easy, and fun.

Dose not hurt to ask.

have also had the dreamers and possers that low ball or just wanna be bum chums with no real desire to own anything waste my time. That’s a puss off but kinda expected unfortunately.

17. grumpy65

grumpy65

While I agree that it is very annoying, the owner of the vehicle unfotunately has the right to do whatever they please, even if that is to watch it slowly return to mother earth. Pointing this out to them usually doesn't end well.........