Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Long distance towing with a Y-Block?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Finn Jensen, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good to see that you are getting it all together and doing what appears to be the right things to prep it for towing. That wheel change sure made a good looking truck out of it.
    I don't see any issue with the handling part of towing if you use the equalizer hitch.
    The 292 just will mean that you are going to take a more leisurely trip speed wise than the guys with the big blocks and the diesels. That and time in second gear on some steep hills.

In 1977 I towed a 16 ft U haul with everything I owned in it from McGregor Texas to here. right at 2300 miles towing with a 283 with a 30-30 cam and M21 Muncie and totally the wrong gears for towing. The tail wagged the dog most all of those miles and it took about two days longer than we thought it would. Engine power isn't such a big issue as rear gear ratio and towing stability. If the trailer did ok with that Suv I don't see a problem with the truck handling it though.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like you are ready. If you add AC some time the ones available now draw much less power off the engine. I just add AC to my y-block and can barely feel the engine change at all when it is on. Even with everything I can turn on the max amp draw was 32 amps you trailer would be more especially when applying the brakes and I would probably add a larger wire to your ignition feed for the extra load. I did just in case. I too added a 100 amp alternator.

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

My only question would be the use of 16 inch oversize tires on the rear, I suspect the rear gears would have better suited to a 15 inch tire. You might want to pick up some as a simple way to get better rear gearing while towing, keep the 16 inch and rubber rake for local driving.

4. George

George

lots of variables. We moved from Cal. to Fla. in '69. Took the Grand tour of the US on the way. Was pulling a 32' travel trailer with a '65 Galaxie with a 289. In the Cascades we didn't have any problems, but a guy pulled in to a rest area we were at with an over heating Ford with a 390......

5. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Actually, the outside diameter of the tire is the same as, or very close, to a 15" tire. I don't have the comparison handy at the moment.

My interest with the 16" wheel was to get a bit of additional clearance around the front disk brakes, as a precaution.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think rear gearing was covered early in the thread. In his first tow he well know whether a lower gear is needed. Also 9” Fords are an ez swap so changing before a trip is a good idea if you normally use the truck for your daily driver..

7. I would put load range E tires on the truck, and ST on the trailer. Also I may have missed it but hydraulic surge brakes on the trailer are a good idea.

8. finn

finn

I occasionally flat towed an early Bronco and towed out cars on a 16’ car trailer with my old manual transmission Econoline. The biggest handicap was the lack of transmission gearing. The gaps were just too wide when navigating the small rolling hills through Wisconsin. Did fine on the expressway in Illinois, Indiana, and southern Wisconsin, but not so good on the two lanes through northeast Wisconsin. I suspect the hills through Iowa will cause similar issues going west through Iowa, even on the expressway. Third is too fast, and second is too slow.

I’m not sure what five speed manual transmission would be readily available and compatible, or suitable, though. The old four speeds are primarily granny gear transmissions with wide gaps, and the T5 is just too weak.

My uncle had a 64 F100 similar to yours. We actually borrowed it to move our household 125 miles back in 1968. Not a fast trip, but I don’t recall the ride being all that bad. Biggest complaint my uncle had was that first gear was too “fast” for haying on the farm.

9. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I have traveled all over the 48 states with everything from a Harley-Davidson to a 17 ton motor home and everything in between. The only trouble you encounter as to power, is in the hills/ mountains and that is only on some grades. If you are underpowered and slow down on a incline, that is a temporary problem! Select a gear and get to the top and cruise on. If it’s a steep incline , you will probably have some company with big trucks. Very few heavy combos will top a grade at the speed limit! I assure you the Y-block powered vehicle will make it from point A to point B, but you may have to grab some gears. Depending on your transmission, that next gear may not be the best, but it will find it’s place to pull and will get you there.
    Last Summer in the Rockies, my traveling partner and I got down to 25 MPH on some grades and he had 450 horsepower, about 100 more than me! But we made it!

Bones

10. Yea, I am thinking you will be fine and that many are forgetting how most towed race cars years ago. I used my lowered 67 C10 short bed with a decent little 327, Saginaw 4-speed, drum brakes and trailer brakes to tow my 3200 lb Chevelle race car all over the place. The pu was also my daily. The only real provisions I made for towing were stiff rear springs, a hidden hitch that we built, and a brake controller for the trailer. It worked great.

11. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. I did put electric brakes on both trailer axles. They have worked really well when pulling with my O/T SUV. I haven't tried yet behind my truck, so we will see.

12. spanners

spanners

I still maintain that a good towing package starts with a the grey matter between the ears. Attitude beats the size of the engine under the hood every time.