Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Ozzie Build

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by BS!, Mar 13, 2019.

1. BS!

BS!

Even though I didn't have the car ready this year I thought it was a great little low key event. Looking forward to 2021

Hopefully you can make it up

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2. BS!

BS!

Yeah I mucked around with the breather for a while trying to figure out what to do. This is a bit more maintenance than your setup but hopefully it does the job. I know the road draft tube has a bit more science behind it than just plumbing it into a catch can so fingers crossed it still works OK.

As for the rest of the car I guess I just planned things out and redid and tweaked them until I was happy with how whatever part I was working on turned out. There are still things I'd like done better but for now I'm happy with how its turned out overall and once I hit the track I'll refine the things that dont work or annoy me.

3. BS!

BS!

With a lack of events and the ability to now start returning home ive been using the time to go back through and tidy up a few things that have been bugging me.

The poly bushes used throughout my chassis and front end were cracked from new, starting to fall apart (im running aftermarket parts) and you could tell by the feel and look of them they were cheap mass produced junk. I wanted to sort these out before doing a wheel alignment. There is a local business who makes lots of bushes for Australian suspension companies close to home so I took some samples down and they knocked a whole new batch of bushes up for me more suited to our environment, my intended use and should last a lot longer than the originals that had started to disintegrate with zero runs on them...

With a new set of bushes through the whole car I finally got the wheel alignment sorted. Everything squared, centred and trued, caster and camber set and another job crossed off the list.

Back to work for 2 weeks and then I have 3 weeks off over Xmas. All going to plan I should hopefully get the last few things on my list sorted ready to hit a few test and tunes in the new year

[​IMG]

4. spanners

spanners

It looks fast standing still.

5. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Looking forward to see it Rip

Crosley likes this.
  6. spanners

spanners

I missed out on entry for 2021 as they are fully booked. I was waiting for the borders to be reopened before entering as this year I entered but that was the weekend we shifted house so lost the entry fee and didn't want to do that again. Hopefully Willowbank might host the Nostalgias next year and I can catch up with you blokes.

Crosley likes this.
  7. BS!

BS!

Happy new year all. Well it was going so well... for 8 days. I managed to get over the border for work after coming home for xmas and new year on the 6th before the Prince of Perth slammed his border shut to the whole of QLD over 1 case of covid so far... To highlight the stupidity of this my offsider lives in gladstone 5/600 odd kilometers from where the 1 reported case was and is now out of a job because he cannot re enter WA.

As a result of the border bullshit occurring in this country I am now once again stuck on the other side of the country in WA doing 14 days backdated quarantine in my donga. Not sure if or when I will be able to return home. I dropped the car off to be tuned the day before I flew back to work so looks like the tuner will have plenty of time to get it spot on (3rd time lucky).

What a shit show but to be honest I kind of expected this.

Anyway rant over. In more positive news with regards to the Nostalgias I saw on one of the Vintage Gas facebook pages that they have approached Willowbank and had confirmation from the track that there will be a nostalgias this year. Dates TBC

Also, Warwick have been given a $1.9mill dollar grant to upgrade the track and facilities. Apparently part of the conditions of receiving the grant is the track has to be extended to 1/4 mile however, the track has confirmed that they intend to still keep most the events 1/8 mile.

Anyway, let see how we go this year but not a great start for me.

Crosley likes this.
  8. Brian Handke

Brian Handke

Mate you need to be there, you n me, Ford versus Holden. The Australian story. We will spend the whole day running each other. That is all that I look forward to running at Carralbyn. Who else am I gunna run against?.

Crosley likes this.
  9. BS!

BS!

Yeah I'm trying to find work back in QLD. We cant keep living on eggshells with what the moron over here might do. Its all political and to be honest doing more damage here than bloody virus to peoples lives and livelihoods. Fingers crossed something comes up and I can get home. I'm really looking forward to it.

Crosley likes this.
  10. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Near same stuff here in Arizona.. Tucson Dragway is shut down because of Pima County virus rules on size of crowds. Tucson Dragway is on county land . Tucson Dragway is holding some private test n tune sessions. RoadKill staff (Finnegan ,Freiberger) were just there filming new Roadkill shows. Wild Horse Pass Motorsports is on tribal land, so that is a whole different government rules to deal with. Wild Horse claims to have some events in place and will happen with virus (masks, etc.) rules in place. If the events happen, it may be interesting. Tribal Police do not mess around when they see a violation.

11. BS!

BS!

Crazy times we are living in thats for sure. I hope you guys get some racing in.

12. spanners

spanners

Sorry to hear of the shit fight you're in. It's hard sometimes to get the head around the fact we live in one country with different sets of rules.
    Apparently Willowbank is severely pissed off the Warwick got that money and they got nothing. All depends on how you approach the Government regarding grants.

Crosley likes this.
  13. BS!

BS!

Yep is quiet disturbing what the state leaders of this country are getting away with. At the end of the day I guess it is out of my hands so I just have to get on with it and only worry about the things in my control.

As for Willowbank I could imagine it may have rattled some cages. I think a bit of healthy competition will be good for us non group 1 racers..

14. BS!

BS!

Finally got the car out for the first time this weekend. I Managed to get 4 runs under the belt at the Carralbyn 1/8 mile drags. Car handles awesome but was running like a bag of shit. I’ve got a lot of homework to do on the tune up but all part of the fun. Will be some video footage soon.

Brian also had his rocket there and collected some tinware. Was great hanging out with him and his crew. Great little event and can’t wait to get there again next year with a car that is hopefully dialled.

A bit of red mist on the last run saw me over rev it, throw a belt, get it hot and drop oil pressure. Hopefully nothing terminal. Will dissect it over the next week or 2.

Looking forward to learning about getting this thing running as good as it looks.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  15. BS!

BS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crosley likes this.
  16. 97

17. spanners

spanners

Good you finally got the cobwebs blown out. Let me guess. After the first run it was hard to stop smiling.
    The engine problems could be a couple of things. If you are running the accelerator pumps in all 3 carbs, you may be over fuelling and drowning it. Check for blackened spark plugs. Also, Holden greys apparently like a bit of retarded timing so play with that.
    What plug gap are you running with the electronic dissy? I gap mine at 46 - 48 thou.

18. spanners

spanners

I just thought of something else. Turn the frogmouth scoops around, Ezio used to have his open to the front so one day we turned it around and the car went better. I think Jeff found that with his Flathead with triples as well.

19. BS!

BS!

I’ll chuck a video up when I get home. I’m leaning towards an over fuelling issue but that’s just a guess. Will need to go through it all. Video to follow soon

20. BS!

BS!

21. BS!

BS!

So that run was my last run of the weekend. All other runs were similar. Car is fine under no load but as soon as you dump it the car just falls in a heap and fowls all the plugs.

The last run I stupidly held it flat to see if I could clear it out a bit and the next thing I knew it was doing 7k revs in first gear which was enough to through the v belt (I need to sort my alternator alignment out a bit better) which then got it hotter than I would like to see (caught it quickly with the elec water pump and thermo fan) and also lost oil pressure at idle.

I have an idiot oil pressure light as per standard and that goes out instantly but the gauge is showing no oil pressure at idle. I’ll do a bit of dissecting over the next week or 2 but hopefully no terminal damage. Once I fix my stupidity damage I’ll need to go right back through the fuel and ignition system.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  22. spanners

spanners

Holden greys are good for about 6 psi at idle. As the bloke who does my machining says "as long as the oil light goes out when running, everything's good. Did you notice if you are getting pressure when racing? Even at 6500 rpm mine has only 25 psi.
    It sounds to be fuelling up to me. Are you sure the choke butterflies aren't closing under acceleration. Disconnect them completely if they are or restrain them. Sounds like you might need to spend some time on a dyno or get in touch with Matt Fry. He's pretty cluey on this sort of thing plus he's used a local dyno a couple of times.
    As for the belt problem. If you are only running one from the harmonic balancer to the alternator, redo the bracket so you've got the shortest belt possible.

Crosley likes this.
  23. BS!

BS!

All good points you have raised in the last few posts spanners. Definitely has given me plenty to think about. I have a bit of homework to do. Good to know about the oil pressure. I could have sworn I initially had around 20psi at idle and a lot more at higher revs. I’m currently probably sitting at the 5-6psi at idle and 20-30psi if you give it a rev. The idiot light instantly goes out when it fires up. Will drop the oil and see how it looks. Sounds like I might be ok though touch wood.

24. spanners

spanners

Also get it nice and warm and pull the plugs and do a compression test. Clean and gap the plugs while they're out. I had a look at my specs and I gap my plugs at 40 thou. I used to run Bosch plugs but they stopped making them so I'm back to NGK.

25. BS!

BS!

What plugs are you running if you don’t mind me asking?

26. BS!

BS!

The guys at overtaking lane came out to cover the event. Scored an interview and some good footage of Brian taking me to gapplebees

Go give em a like and subscribe

Crosley likes this.
  27. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Nice pics.
    The B&W one looks like it may have been taken in the mid-'60s.
    You have some really cool vintage Yank hot rods in those pics. I like.

The little guys need a Jr/D... it looks like the interest is there.

28. spanners

spanners

That mob did a nice video. I thought the interview with you was a nice touch. I'm trying to enter for next year but as I don't do Facebook the only way is by email which they haven't answered yet. If you hear of entries being taken please give me a yell.
    If you get the chance to do some testing, try disconnecting the plunger linkage that comes off the butterfly on the front and rear carbs.
    The plugs I use were Bosch Super R6-10-202. Best plugs I've used. I'm trying NGK BP-4 this weekend as the Bosch are unavailable locally. I've tried Champion but weren't happy with them at all and used NGK BP-5 initially. If you have trouble getting a counter jockey to look up plugs for a Holden Grey, tell them to cross reference with early BMW (mid '80s) or early Chev V8. Take a sample with you to check for length and thread size .

Crosley likes this.
  29. BS!

BS!

Yes it’s a great event and the camping onsite is pretty good. Will let you know when the entries for next year come available. It sells out super quick as they limit it to 100 spots.

Thanks for the info with plugs. I’m running NGK BP 5S plugs but think going a hotter plug may help. Also running 91 octane as per your advice.

Will do a few health checks over the coming weeks and fix any of my stuff ups, sort out my belt alignment issue and then start from scratch working through the fuel system.

Hopefully catch up in a few weeks when you are in town.

Crosley likes this.
  30. BS!

BS!

Well spent the day in the shed running a few test to see what the damage was after my stuff up at Carralbyn...

From the factory workshop manual:
    [​IMG]

Idle was a bit all over the place but here are my results. Mechanical test gauge vs mechanical dash gauge:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Compression test figures from the workshop manual:
    [​IMG]

My wet and dry compression test results:
    [​IMG]

Crosley likes this.