Register now to get rid of these ads!

Alabama Introduction

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by waldrgd, Jul 21, 2006.

1. waldrgd

waldrgd

Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in Florence, Alabama, Northwest corner. I'm an old fart (55) but still let fast cars. I have restored several cars, but my current project is building an old school 31 Model A pickup. Would like to hear from anyone close to the area I could talk to about the build up.

Thanks, Dexter

2. junkbrick

junkbrick

Hey Dex,

There are a couple of us up here around B'ham...my buddies Kustm52, Coupe and myself are always messing around with something! We currently are working on my Flattie powered '36 P/U...Kustm52 has a 31 A moredoor on deuce rails with a Nailhead, and our buddy Coupe is just collecting all the early Hemi stuff he can get his hands on...any way feel free to drop me a line if I can help you out with anything.

The HAMB is full of the best info on the 'net...do some searching and post up some pictures of your A...everybody likes pics around here!

Let me know if I can help....welcome aboard!
    --reed

3. k9racer

k9racer

Welcome. several hamb members from alabama but they dont post often.5 in the huntsville area, I know one in florence a few from birmingham , montgomery and a lot from tennessee.....Bobby....

4. waldrgd

waldrgd

Thanks guys, I'll try and post some pictures, not sure I know how but I'll try soon. I have a 1956 331 Hemi that I plan on putting in the Model A. I basically was looking for someone local that could build a Z'd frame and mount the body. I may try it myself, I have the place and tools, just not the time.

D

5. junkbrick

junkbrick

Pickups are coolest in my book...and a Hemi does not hurt the cool factor at all. If you have the shop and tools, sounds like a North Alabama HAMB thrash party needs to happen one day in the not so distant future...I know of a few people that would love to cut and weld on a project like that, getting the frame started is always the second hardest part...coming up with all the little stuff is the real challenge! Anyway, 100% of the enjoyment of a hot rod has to come from doing as much yourself or with your friends...It is amazing what you can get done in a day with a couple of buddies and a welder! All it takes is doing it...sooooo, when can we come over :) .

keep us posted!
    ---reed

6. waldrgd

waldrgd

Reed, are you suggesting build a frame, chop a top, get it rolling type get together. I have a shop and probably the tools (MIG welder, stick welder, tools, etc.). My brother is an excellent welder. Finding the time is going to be the biggest problem. I don't have a field for how long it would take to build a frame, set the body and engine, etc. It sounds as if you do. I don't plan on painting it or putting any billet on it. I want, and I hate these words, a Rat Rod or an old school hot rod. Loud, tire burning, no windows, no heater, etc. hot rod. Something I never have to polish.

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

7. junkbrick

junkbrick

...I just hate to see anybody that has the tools and the shop space pay somebody to build their hot rod for them....It will not happen terribly quickly, but if you can work on it from time to time, and on occasion have some help come by to lend a hand sooner or later you will have a hot rod that you built...that is all that I am suggesting!

If you are looking to have something built pretty quickly, and have the money to pay somebody--go ahead, nothing wrong with that. I am not new to the fabrication part of this stuff, but I am kinda green to building traditionally styled hot rods...all of my background comes from building later model cars...but the hot rod is where my heart is at...I am willing to help you out any way I can....information, labor, suggestions...whatever it takes to get you going....

I guess the biggest thing you have to figure out is the time that you can actually set aside to work on the project....this is something I do to relax...its all about the satisfaction of building it myself. My '36 is a work in progress that has changed a little from the original plan, but I could not be happier with the progress I have made on it....currently I have almost 3 years in building it....most of that time has been spent chasing that "part" I need, or raising the capitol to purchase the ones I have found.

The first step is to decide if there is a "style" that you would like to model your project after...if you are looking to build something traditional, you need to lay out alot of time for building, locating parts robbing banks to pay what people want for a set of old rusty frame rails etc....but if you are looking to fabricate/purchase all of the major components then it will go together much faster (money permitting ;) !)

I cannot let the cat out of the bag, but a friend of mine and I have been working on building something for the past 5 or so weeks...I go over to his shop 1 nite a week to work...you would not believe the progress a few friends can make in a couple of weeks.

Florence is a little bit of a drive for me, but like I told you there are not to many of "us" around that are in your area...a few more up in Tenn. then down here in the 'ham, but if you need some help I would be more than happy to come up and work when I can.

Anyway...all this is about building something as cool as you want too...and the bonus is maybe you will make some new friends....so if you want to come up with some ideas/questions and shoot me a private message maybe we can figure out a direction for you to head.

Good luck, I am going out to the garage to work...the 36 has a road trip to make in 24 days!
    --reed