Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration waterslide decal source

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by speedshifter, Feb 26, 2021.

1. speedshifter

speedshifter

Looking for a source to make non copyrighted waterslide decals for inside of glass. Do not want phony looking vinyl stickers. Thanks Greg

2. papajohn

papajohn

Looks like you can buy the material and print them yourself on an inkjet printer. Never tried it.

Check the Googler on the internets. Type in waterslide decal printing, or something like that.

Available at most hobby stores I think.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Two things you may need to adapt for. First, if you're applying the decal on the inside of the glass, you will need to reverse the image. And second, you may need a white background because the printed pigment image on the decal media is transparent-ish. You probably will need to spray the white using the paint that best stands up to the soak-n-slide step.
    If you only want white behind the letters and other elements of the design with clear in between, I'm pretty sure you can't do that with a home printer. You may be forced to go with one of the professional services and pay the big bucks. (I'm no expert with decals so I may be overthinking or off base. I never tried any of this, myself. But I was a lithographer and print designer for over 40 years so I automatically slip into planning all the steps needed to get to the desired result.)

4. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Check etsy. That's where I go mine and they're awesome. A quick search should do the trick.

5. greybeard360

greybeard360

Testors makes decal paper that is transparent and some in white. As said, unless you have a high dollar printer that will print white you will have to use white paper. Only problem then is it would not work on the inside of the glass where what you want to be showing thru the window.

You could be sneaky and print it in reverse and use white spray paint on the image to set the colors ( clear is normally used). I would cut out the decal before painting the white so it is the size and shape you want. Let it dry overnight and apply like a normal waterslide.

I printed all of these decals for a model I built. Note there is no white in any of them. 20200529_210114.jpg

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  6. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Click on Alliance Vendors and then on Coupe Custom Decals. Jimmie

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER