Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical pulling a '40 steering wheel

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by terry k, Feb 27, 2021.

1. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

How do you pull the steering wheel ? I made a jig for earlier wheels, but it won't work on a '40.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

3. on some of the early cars I have drilled and tapped two holes so I could use a conventional steering wheel puller

rusty valley and olscrounger like this.
  4. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

Yes I do not have any holes. They installed a '41 wheel.

5. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Have had success by pulling up hard on the wheel while someone lightly taps the center shaft-make sure the nut is on there.

modagger, B Bay Barn and Bob Lowry like this.
  6. fordor41

fordor41

My '41 fordor had 2 threaded holes for a puller. no puller, have someone in the back seat pulling on the wheel and hit the shaft(with nut on) and the wheel will usually pop off

7. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have the special tool ( puller ) for removing an early wheel . It looks similar to a huge C clamp . It has different size arbors to fit the bottom of the wheel and inside of the steering shaft . I have won many a free lunch betting , I can remove that wheel in minutes and not damage a thing !

Algoma56 likes this.
  8. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

As olscrounger said above, I have always just backed off the nut, squirted some PB Blaster or similar behind
    it and onto the threads, let it soak for a couple of minutes, and then used my knees to push up on the bottom
    of the wheel, take one hand on the top of the wheel and pull as hard as you can, and then hit the nut with
    a large hammer, and off comes the wheel. You MUST be sure that the nut is flush with the end of the shaft
    so that you don't damage any threads. Whenever I replace the wheel I use a small amount of anti-sieze on the
    tapered part of the shaft or wheel, so that next time it comes right off with no tools.

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

As has been mentioned, easiest way is to drill and tap two 5/16-24 threaded holes in the
    steering wheel hub and then use a puller to remove the wheel. I had to do this to remove a Limeworks steering wheel. The last photo shows the 2 holes already provided in a 1940 Ford steering wheel. Do the same for your wheel.

Attached Files:

10. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used the push up with the knee method put instead of a hammer I used my pneumatic chisel with the blunt attachment to rattle the wheel loose.

Phil

11. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

This is the proper tool to use if you can find one and unfortunately have messed up some nice steering wheels using other methods image.jpg image.jpg

12. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

That clamp is pretty slick. I had a 47 Ford that someone before me had mushroomed trying to pound it out so I cut it off the shaft, put it on a mill and took the taper out so I could put a 3/4 solid shaft down to the joint to the box.

13. goldmountain

goldmountain

The pound on it while pulling should work but don't ever try it on a late model collapsible steering column.

Bob Lowry likes this.
  14. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Shoot some erokroil in the keyed slot tap with leather mallet will slide right off

15. Andy

Andy

Just beat the end of the shaft with the biggest hammer you can find. You will sure beat the the bearings in the steering box up real good.
    Imagine a steering box bare without the tube. Put the steering box on the ground with the shaft vertical.
    Beat on that shaft all you want until the wheel falls off.

rusty valley likes this.
  16. terry k

terry k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from toledo oh

That puller would be nice except my column has the flare at the top the size of the str. base.

17. modagger

modagger

When I had trouble getting my ‘40 wheel off, this is the method I used having gotten it right here on the H.A.M.B.