Register now to get rid of these ads!

How old's the oldest H.A.M.B. member?60+?Tell us a cool story

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jalopy junkie, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

UPDATE!!--------Now 88.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    olscrounger, mgtstumpy, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  2. This is sort of another Corvette story...and the passage of time. I got out of high school in '61 and went to work. I was your typical car crazy teenager and I was nuts over Corvettes. My Dad went with me to look at several in '62, the last one at a used lot where he knew the owner. It was a 1961 Honduras maroon, white coves, two tops, 4 speed, dual fours, whitewalls and low miles. Number Two in the Corvette line-up for that model year.

We walked around it and he rode and I did a test drive. My dad had been a patrolman when I was a kid so he knew a bit about cars and speed and I knew enough about him to drive sanely. We got back and talked with the lot owner while snooping in the nooks and crannies...I knew this was the car, but Dad would also need to co-sign a note. I was nose under the hood when Dad called the owner and me back to the trunk where he had the floor mat peeled back and the spare cover off..to show us a positively shredded spare tire.

The owner of the lot was as surprised as we were. Bottom line Dad says we would talk it over and get back with him. Well, I knew the answer just by the look on Dad's face as we motored away in my '56 Belair 265, 3 speed, two door post.

I got married the next year and bought a '62 340 horse Vette on my own the year after that. Owned it for 15 years...and traded it for the '40 Chevy convert I'm still driving 41 years later.

I've shredded a few tires on my own over the years but I was always OK with my Dad's decision the summer evening in 1962. He passed in 1970 and I still miss the hell out of him. But, man that was a fine Corvette that I still think about, too.

3. 31Apickup

31Apickup

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. Deuces

Deuces

Damn! Just turned 60 myself not long ago.... :(:mad::(

Lil32 likes this.
  5. brando1956

brando1956

Born in 56. Dad has a Leonard gas station, there most of the time I wasn't in school. Lots of great cars and characters. Guy brought in a set of "rebuilt" shocks one day and asked dad to install. Dad picked one out of the box by the rod end and as he pulled it out the shock body slowly pulled out by just gravity. He grabbed both end of the shock and could stroke that thing in and out so fast it was a blur. He took the other one out of the box and it was the same. They looked great, were all painted up with black wrinkle finish paint and looked like new. But they were totally worn out. Apparently the rebuild process consisted of nothing more than cleaning and painting. The customer was understandably embarrassed and agreed quickly to a new set of shocks so he didn't get teased too bad.

I got the car disease early at about 6 years old and never recovered. I'll never forget the day I saw the new 1968 Corvette in the flesh (metal?) the first time. I was an avid reader of car mags at 12 y/o and had seen photos but you just didn't see these cars in my small town. I was delivering papers on a cold, rainy spring day in 1968. One of my customers was the local Chevy dealer. He was a regular because my grandparents bought a new Belair (always white with red interior and 6 cyl powerglide) every 2 years. When I walked in the one car showroom there was this new bahama blue 68 327 4sp coupe . I was in love. Bitter, unrequited love. I may as well have wished for a night with Raquel Welch. Little did I suspect I would be driving this car a few months later. How did that happen? My dad's best buddy Art, my surrogate uncle, owned the local Mobil station. One day when I was delivering papers I walked into the station and and see the same Vette on the hoist for new rear tires. Can't imagine how they wore out so fast. This was when tires were balanced on the car. For the fronts you had a machine you set under the tire to spin it and a device that locked onto the wheel like a full hubcap that had weights built into in you would adjust to get balance. For the rears you just put the car in gear and run it up to about 40 mph. Art says, get in and start this thing up and run it up to 40 so I can balance these. So I did. That's how I ended up driving a new Corvette at 12 y/o. Thought it was pretty cool at the time, even though it was stationary on the hoist.

Still have a thing for 3rd gen Vettes but its never been the right time to pull the trigger on one. At 63 y/o time is running out. However, I did have a relationship with a Vette at the perfect time in my life to enjoy it. Year was 1974. I was just out of high school and thought I was hot stuff with my 73 Maverick Grabber with 302/c4. Until my recently divorced uncle drove in with his red 74 Vette. His problem; he had visitation with his 4 kids on the weekends but they wouldn't fit it a Vette. on the other hand I had a car with enough room. Guess who was the coolest 18 year old kid in town every other weekend that summer? I know this era Vette wasn't as fast as earlier models but it was still a tremendous thrill to drive. The most perfect summer of my life, before signing my young ass over to Uncle Sam to do with it as he pleased. Never got as big a thrill from jumping out of a perfectly good airplane in flight as I did from standing on the gas and hearing the howl of that Q-jet when the secondaries flipped open and started to eat.

6. CD95F89E-796A-46D2-89CB-FA25AD55AC7A.jpeg In 1962(freshman in high school) all of us gearhead kids piled into cars during lunch period and cruised the parking lots of Texas A&M(stands for agricultural and mechanical college of Texas) looking for hi-P.O. cars. There was lots full of 406 3-2Fords, 409 Chevrolets, 413-426 Plymouths. Every car then had an outside hood latch and 6-8 kids would pile out of their car and stand and gawk at the hi perf engine they raised the hood on for a look-see. Every hi P.O. car had outside badges telling exactly what engine was under the hood. We raised many hoods over a 4 yr period and had no intention of stealing anything; just wanted to get a visual on the “big” engines.Looked at hundreds of hi -po vehicles and never got caught by the local campus police. Flatheads Forever!

Driver50x and stillrunners like this.
  7. The last time I Posted on this was in 2008 when I was 74
    Now i am 85 & will be 86 in Sept still playing around with my 50 merc.
    not as fast as I used to but still doing it.
    and injoying my Mercury

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Hank37, Driver50x, vtx1800 and 13 others like this.
  8. Are you sure that wasn't in 1961?

9. I'm a "Summer of Love" baby. I'm almost two months older than the moon landing, that puts me at 51 today. Brain injury sustained overseas makes my past seem like someone else's memories.

I do have one story, it's not as good as any of yours, but here goes. When I was 16, I worked my ass of to save up some cash for my first car. My grandfather was willing to match me dollar for dollar. When I thought I had saved enough, I started looking. The first car I settled on was a '59 Buick Invicta.

God that car was like a spaceship with it's dash pods, angled fins and headlights. My grandfather found rust in the frame and wouldn't let me buy it. I was crushed.

Then, I found a running and registered '62 Impala 2dr hardtop with a 283 and a Powerglide. The PO had dressed it up (only on the outside) like an SS. :rolleyes: But, I was a kid and all I saw was freedom. My Grandad was on board and we brought it home.

It ran like shit, but old Paps helped me get it running smooth. I never got to call it my "first car". The reason I don't consider this my first car is because I never really got to drive it. I drove it ONE time. I felt like a king, but as I was pulling into the driveway, the brake line on the rear end found a nice rust pit to bleed out of, the pedal went to the floor, and I hit the house. Not hard, mind you.

The car was unscathed but the corner of the garage had a nice Impala shaped chunk out of it. She made me sell it despite myself and my Grandfather pleading with her. My mom is now 74, and I love her with all of my heart, but I still kinda resent her for that one.

In retrospect, I'd just like to have all of that SS trim with the machine brushed inserts, the SS badging, the spinner hubcaps... Dude, I would make a killing in the classifieds. :p

10. speedshifter

speedshifter

11. speedshifter

speedshifter

I am 80 & still hot rodding in my 324 0lds powered 30 Ford roadster. In 1959 I sold my first car to a younger friend, a 49 Olds 88 convert 324 engine & fully customized. We drove it to the Minn. Dragway ( one of 4 Mpls area strips) It rained late Sat night, the drags were the next day, Sunday. The promoters had a 50 Chrysler with a real airplane engine & prop mounted on the front of the car. On that Sun AM they drove it up & down the strip with the prop blowing the water off the surface It really worked but good thing there was not an OSHA at that time. We watched Don Garlits clock about 160 & took home a trophy with the Olds. " Roared" through the traps with an ET of 16 sec. Wow! Greg

Driver50x and Cosmo49 like this.
  12. I am a Cove boy. The Cove was on the East Side of Stamford CT. I am 73 now and growing up in the 60’s was great. Watched my older cousins with their hot rods was so exciting and inspirational. Then the girls! Yes it was the best of times.
    Me 60"s
    32-5window (2).jpg

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    Hank37, lurker mick and Lil32 like this.
  13. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

My dad sold Chevy's up to the year I was born and the Dodge Division of Chrysler hired him to call on dealers. That was in 1952 and in 1956 he bought my mom a 1954 Plymouth convertible that he kept until my older sister got her license in 1965. I was the care taker of the Plymouth until he sold it the year. Now this was mom's every day driver and when sold still had the original top and spare tire. This is something when you live in Ohio to that care of a car like that. When I was 15 dad quit his job at Dodge and bought into a Chrysler, Plymouth,Dodge,AMC, and Jeep dealership. So at 15 I started in the detail shop then at 17 I started in parts becoming the parts mgr after high school. I moved to sales at the age of 23 and five years later with Chrysler dying dad closed up. I went to work at another Chrysler dealer but we just weren't sell enough cars so I moved to a Buick dealer running on of his used car lots. Now in 1983 a high school friend and I opened a service station later added a second one then we went our own ways. I got out of the service station in 2001. I went to work at a Chrysler,Dodge,Jeep dealer in parts for six years then bought a 40 ft truck and went expediting with my wife getting to see the country over the next 10 years. I am now a service advisor at a Honda dealership. Through all of this I am in my sixth decade of drag racing. IMG_20171028_064809192.jpg 90939790_826581827828076_1272012241826217984_n.jpg IMG_20170705_100518476.jpg IMG_20170705_100518476.jpg IMG_20161211_081402431.jpg IMG_20161211_081528403.jpg IMG_20161211_075734119.jpg IMG_20181014_085922686.jpg

14. Gizzy

Gizzy
    from N.W,Ohio

I'm 65...not the oldest but probably in the old farts club

stillrunners, Stogy and Deuces like this.
  15. paul philliup

paul philliup
    from ohio

I posted on here yesterday to give a bit of back ground on me. One of my early driving experience's was going to Columbus OH from Dayton in the early 70's about 4:00 AM running about 90 mph and I see a OHP sitting in the median. He pulls out I open it turn out my light taking the 1st exit ramp down shifting to slow down. He goes right by so I open it up again running behind him with my lights out get to my exit before he gave up trying to catch me. Sure wouldn't try that today.

stillrunners and Stogy like this.
  16. railcarmover

railcarmover

Bought first model a for 250 bucks..yep,I'm that old.

17. birdman1

birdman1

74, lived through a war, raised 7 kids, same wife I started with, 2 heart attacks, and now the virus. Still fixing Ford's too dumb to do anything else!

18. topher5150

topher5150

I remember my dad telling a story about when he was younger, and working at Lamb automotive in Holland, MI. Something about his buddy would put the front end of an old chevy up against the building and then smash the gas and see how big of a burn out they could do.

Driver50x, olscrounger and Stogy like this.
  19. Deuces

Deuces

20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

UPDATE!-----Now 88!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    olscrounger, Stogy and blowby like this.
  21. i'm pushing 80 in Nov. and here's one I remember from back in 1960 , I had my 37 ford with a 49 Olds. 303 with a 4 barrel carb . and a pickup truck rear which had to be in the 4.55 ratio . we ran light to light on High St. Pottstown , Pa. One night ran and beat a 56 Chevy light after light . Coming back he pulled up along side and looking under my hood said I see a 4 barrel , dont' look like a chevy . I yelled out you got beat by a stock 303 Olds., he just shook his head and drove away.

22. toml24

toml24

I'm 63 now. During the winter holidays of 1968, our family flew from Southern California to Ohio for a family get-together. Lots of snow, very cold. It's a very large extended family with aunts and uncles on my moms side everywhere. At the house my mom grew up in there is a traditional house and barn. I was informed that in the barn was a car belonging to uncle Steve, and this car could only be driven during good weather, such as Spring or Summer. This was a special car that could be driven into and on the lakes of Ohio. The was a Amphicar Car. I was 12 years old and had never heard of this car so I was really curious. I finally decided to brave the frigid cold of December in Ohio and went out to the barn. Sure enough the car was there. Very interesting car. I had to leave my uncle Steve a message stating I saw the car so I went and got paper and pen and wrote a short note. I left the note on the car and we all flew back to Southern California a few days later.
    The following Spring we get a letter from the Ohio gang. It turns out uncle Steve did read my note, 6 months later when the weather was good in Ohio and he went to the barn to get the Amphicar ready for Summer. I hope they all had a great time on the lakes of Ohio.
    1960s-Amphicar in Ohio.jpg

23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I turned 16 in 1966, but way before that I was already scheming on how I'd get a car, so I could have it all fixed up and ready to drive when I turned 16! When I was 13-14 yrs. old I was asking everyone I saw if they needed me to do any work for them? I was also knocking on doors everywhere I walked or rode my bike, if I saw what looked like a neglected car in a yard or driveway!
    I guess my dad's brother took notice, (or took pity on me?) because he asked my dad if I could come out to his farm when school was out for the year and work for him? I'm pretty sure they'd already talked, but they played like it was all new while I sat there awaiting my dad's OK.
    The first day I worked for him I realized that the $10 a day I'd get paid wasn't going to be gotten easily! We worked from 6:30, right after breakfast, to 6:30 p.m. just before dinner! But I wanted money badly, so I did whatever I was told to do gladly! The 2nd or 3rd day my uncle sent me around the back of the barn to grab a tool, and I came face to face with a 1947 International panel truck. I of course noticed right away the grass growing up around it, and wondered why it was abandoned?
    I took the tools back, and as we were working I asked him about the old International. He told me he parked it because the soft plugs rotted out, and bought his new Ford pickup. I didn't even know what a soft plug was, but I immediately asked if he was going to fix it? He said he thought about it, but decided he might just use it for tool storage.
    We talked about the truck almost every chance I got to bring it up for the next couple weeks. I finally asked him if he'd consider selling it to me, and he chuckled. "What the heck would you want with that broken down old truck? It doesn't run anymore, and you're 2 years away from driving?"
    I told him if I had it, I'd have 2 years to fix it up, and get it running! He finally agreed to sell it to me, IF my dad said it was OK. The price a whopping $25! The panel had zero rust, but mice had eaten the front seat, so only springs and frame were left. Body was dark blue, and oxidized, and when I got closer I could see remnants of brush strokes where he'd painted it with a paint brush! I took the money out of ym first pay, and he told me he'd give it back if I gave up and didn't fix it. But I'd be out whatever I put into it!
    Any time we drove to town I had a list in my pocket of parts I needed to buy, which also came out of my pay! First on the list were those soft plugs. The guy at the hardware store/auto parts, told me of these new bolt in soft plugs. They were around .50 cents each, and I bought enough to do all the rotted plugs. Then a bench seat from the wrecking yard! Light blue from a Simca sedan, and just the right width! A carb rebuild kit, which I soon discovered was over my ability, so my uncle helped me figure it out. A battery, some gas, and a gallon of gloss black paint to paint fenders and running boards, and make it a cool two tone paint!
    By end of summer I fired it up, and proceeded to drive it around the perimeter road on his acreage. That was an every evening, and almost all day Sunday thing until school started! After I went back to school I had to beg to get a ride out to my uncle's so I could drive the truck as much as possible. I couldn't let the battery go dead from sitting, could I?
    The day I turned 16 I got my driver's license, and went straight from DMV to my uncle's and got my truck. I had been working full time before and after high school for the previous 18 months, so already had my insurance ready, and just needed the panel to drive!
    I drove the panel to school for the last year of high school, and to and from work mornings and afternoons. After graduation I bought my parent's '57 Chev Belair, and sold the panel to the neighbor who owned a metal fab shop, and had been bugging me to sell him the truck. A whole $285, and I thought I made a killing. I'm sure I got taken, even back then, but I also knew how little I had in it money wise.
    So that was my first rig. Of course like others I owned, I wish I'd kept it.

Driver50x and Stogy like this.
  24. I have this story about when I was Drag racing my 50 Mercury
    every weekend I would Drive my Merc. out to Westhamten, L.I. and
    spend the whole day Racing.
    This was a Stock Mercury Flat head 3 on the Tree & in the Summer of
    1963 I set a Record of 16 Second's in the 1/4 mile.
    In 1973 I received a letter from the Race Track to tell
    me somebody Broke my Record & wanted to know if I wanted to
    Challange him
    I told them NO
    since I was Racing a 64 Chevelle with a L88 engine in the 10 second
    Bmp.
    To get the Merc. to do 16 sec. would stop a gas station pump the Tires up
    too 50 lbs & go to the Track Back off the Brakes so they would
    free wheel, Re-jet the Carb. and race

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

hfh likes this.
  25. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-2-28_5-2-59.png

Hello,

Friendships go a long way as a teenager. Our group of teens had mostly GM cars. From a 51 Pontiac Sedan, a 54 Chevy Bel Air, 55 2 door post, 56 2 door post, a 57 Bel Air Hardtop and a 58 Impala. There was even a little 62 Chevy II Nova as a first car. So the variety was there on the daily driver sedans. They were all in great shape, some modified more than others and each had its own character. Despite the similarities of the 2 Chevy sedans with posts, they looked completely different. The 56 had silver paint, chrome wheels, white tuck and roll upholstery and looked flashy parked in the noon day sun, with the reflections of the white upholstery on the windows.

The 55 2 door post was black and white, lowered with a Cal Rake stance, had Traction Master Bars, blackwalls and small hubcaps. It was the only Chevy with a 3 speed floor shift lever, but had a 4 barrel 265 motor for power. Most everyone had after school jobs and the most unusual was the b/w 55 2 door post and his newspaper delivery route. The owner had been neighborhood bicycle delivery kid and worked his way into commercial deliveries when he got a car.
    upload_2021-2-28_5-3-38.png Similar 55 two door post...
    Normally, he would go to the downtown Long Beach building and load his 55 Chevy with freshly printed newspapers to total his list of drop off points. His route was not a neighborhood route of several blocks. It covered quite a few business stores from downtown to the east side of Long Beach. His salary was really good and he was one of the only few teenagers that always had extra cash in his pocket.

For a several days, while he was getting some repair work done on his 55 Chevy, he had no way to complete his job. So, he asked me if I could help him out. He said that with the Howard Zink Corporation, Sure-Fit, clear plastic seat covers installed front and rear, the Impala would have no problems. It would be as easy as loading them up and delivering them to the specific stores/businesses.

Jnaki

It sounded easy and the payoff would be, not his salary, but a nice cheeseburger dinner at our favorite sit down, Bixby Knolls restaurant called Russell’s. We hung out at some pretty great tasting hamburger places for our normal Friday/Saturday nights. But, whenever anyone wanted to impress others, Russell’s had, by far, the best tasting burgers in town. On most nights, it was packed by dinner time. On Friday nights, there were plenty of teenage couples having an “impressive” dinner date atmosphere. Weekday nights were the best time to go to get a cool seat at the bar top counter.
    upload_2021-2-28_5-5-19.png
    So, on the day(s) of the actual deliveries, right after school, we drove my Impala to the newspaper building in downtown Long Beach. (It is still there, today.) On the first day, everything went as planned. Get to the loading dock, grab the necessary papers with a few extras. Load them in the back seat (plastic seat covers protected the red interior) and trunk. Then off to East Long Beach/Belmont Shore to deliver part of the route.

The afternoon job was pretty cool. My friend jumped out, grabbed the correct amount of papers and off he went to put them in the store, or lift up box. When the back seat of the Impala was empty, then we took a short break to move the papers from the trunk to the back seat for ease of selection and delivery.

Despite the clear plastic seat covers, the next day’s delivery run had a canvas tarp covering the whole back seat area, including the seat back. I found out later, when I climbed in the back seat to clean out the whole area, my mom noticed a black smudge on my white t-shirt. Then upon further inspection, I gently rubbed a clean white cloth over the clear Sure Fit Plastic Seat Covers and everywhere in the back seat gave off a smudge of black ink from the papers. Even the Impala’s trunk had a canvas tarp now under the next day’s load of papers.

Freshly printed newspapers and even day’s old papers rub off black to any contacting surfaces. So be warned. When the 55 Chevy returned to work had a giant bedspread over the rear seats and a blanket over the passenger side seating area. Lessons learned, but friends will do just about anything for friends...YRMV

26. chopped

chopped

I'm 75, back in 65 I could borrow $1000 and wanted to up scale from my high school 57 Chevy. Could get a 58 Vette or a 60 348 Impala for that. Kick myself to this day for choosing the Impala.

Lil32 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  27. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Will Be 73 In May And No Signs Of Progress Thus Far... IMG_0188.jpg

28. Since this thread got dredged up again I dredged up another one. July 4th, summer '68 after graduation my pal Greg (who had a '55 Nomad with a 348 in previous stories) had a '65 vette convertible, 365 horse. We worked together at a Skelley station and closed up at nine. We went cruising in the vette with the top down and were sitting at a red light when a '62 Tbird pulled up on our right. It was red, wire wheels and one of those fiberglass tonneau covers over the back seat. I think it was a 390, nice car. Anyway, this old couple were in it, probably late 20's early 30's, and when the light turned green the guy gets on it. Surprised us so Greg speeds up to put a bumper in front of him and between shifts the bird inches ahead then Greg puts a half fender on him. The guy in the bird has it to the floor, we're just fuckin with him. After a few blocks a cop lit up his lights behind both cars. We both pull over with the tbird behind us, cop behind him. We look at each and go he's not after us, we weren't racing, the other guys was so we pull away. Just then we hear the loudspeaker, "Corvette stay there". Greg shoots him the finger and nails it. The next intersection the light turned red in our direction. Greg jumps in the oncoming lane passes all the cars and takes a right in front of the stopped traffic and hauls ass. In the distance up the hill in front of us we see a couple cop cars with lights flashing. Greg hollers to hang on and tries to take a hard left at about 60. The car spun around and stalled we're facing 180 from where we wanted to go as it's a T intersection. He's cranking that 327 I'm looking at flashing lights coming at us from both directions, finally it fired and we're off doing about 80 down a residential street. Took some turns cut the lights and limped to my house and stashed the car in my garage as the folks were gone for the weekend. We went back out in my Belvedere and there were party lights going up and down the streets everywhere. Survived another one.

29. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Y'all are some crazy motherfuckers.

Sting Ray likes this.
  30. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

Sue Ellingson and LowKat like this.