Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Help with some traditional interior ideas.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Feb 25, 2021.

1. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

I went with the stock Ford pattern. image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. NJ Don

NJ Don

3. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Man I gotta be honest unless its a full on Kustom Im liking the Oxblood and Browns im seeing here alot ! Especially for a more mild car like the OP's.

5. ......Thanks, I did see that, Terry. Looks like a nice seat and the frame is in better shape than mine. It's not "exactly" what I'm looking for and after shipping it to the East Coast, I would have over $1,000 tied up in it. With that outlay, I probably should spend the money with the guy I want to do the rest of the interior and get something closer to what I'm visualizing. Thanks for the heads-up though......Don.

6. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the new interior in HRP's "beater Deuce". It really took my eye when he did the write up, but got to see it in person in Knoxville last year. Understated, super classy!

7. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

8. After everything folks have posted here, I am starting to think that a simple pattern using the ox blood or a brown would look great in your coupe. I think white (my previous suggestion) might stand out too much as well as the less practical aspect of it. That is one reason I wanted @bchrismer to post his interior that he recently had done in his 40 coupe. It is somewhat understated, but also practical and fits the theme of a black 40 coupe. It might at least be another example to throw in the pot as you consider a final direction. I’m with everyone else that mentions this is your only opportunity to do it like you want. I have that same decision to make soon in a couple vehicles of my own, so understand the dilemma of wanting to make sure it is right.

9. Resized_20180419_102845_9532.jpg
    Here's the guys at BAD Upholstery taking out the stock seat. (That's Bob, Andy, and Don)
    Resized_20180614_143901_7884.jpg
    I told Don I wanted him to sew a "stock" pattern into the upholstery. He decided to extend the "theme" into the back panel and on the top of the jump seats.
    Resized_20180628_162449_4964.jpg
    The door panels
    Resized_20180628_162423_700.jpg
    The rear panel with the Jump Seat
    Resized_20180628_162332_4099.jpg
    and the stock bench seat. BTW...Don HATED the Nissimi vinyl that I chose. He said it was way stiffer than what he likes to use and didn't stretch nicely, which is why the seat side covers have some waves in them.

Rather than over padding the seat top and back, Don usually screws a piece of foam into the springs to give them added support.

Because I USE my car a lot, I liked the idea of using a '40 rubber floor mat up front. Yeah...I know that the black ones are for Standards, but I like it better than the tan ones.

They did panels for the trunk, too, and I used a stock rubber floor covering in there, too, as I have been known to haul stuff like transmissions and other stuff back there when I am working on my other junk.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  10. ^^^ Looks great! I do in fact like the original style '40 stitching and the back panel is a work of art.^^^^.........Thanks for posting.........Don.

11. Did they sew up the headliner in the shop or was it an "off the shelf" one from another vendor? It looks great by the way. Is it the same material as used everywhere else? Thanks.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  12. This was the inspiration for doing the interior in my truck white. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a few we have done--all are leather and square weave carpet can look for some more--have had 9 done in the past few years all coupes except one sedan and one convert. The latest one we drug home has a LeBarron Bonney leather interior. Very nice but install was a bit iffy in places. My upholstery guy fixed it right up--nice now. Appears this car was restored quite a few years ago but not driven.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  14. Thanks, Tim. Really like that Mocha one.

15. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep, makes sense. For what it's worth, I'm with the folks trying to talk you into oxblood leather.
    If your car was mine (I could only wish!! LOL) that's what I'd do.

Jim Bouchard and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My upholstery guy does not like the off the shelf headliners. He makes them all and another trick he does is the little piece behind the windshield garnish on each post, he extends it a bit down to the dash.

17. ....Thanks. I was thinking there might be some savings in not having the trimmer have to make the headliner, but I'm beginning to think that would be a mistake.

18. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My uph guy says the stitching is inferior

19. .....Thanks. Good to know.

20. [​IMG]

White it cooler than black and is not that hard to clean. When I am driving it daily, I can still go weeks without major cleaning. Mine is about a dozen years old and I did get a couple stains on the side panels that cost a couple bills to have a guy re-dye, but a fraction of the cost of a new panel.

21. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

If the car is black have the interior done in very dark maroon. It looks so nice next to the black..

Jim Bouchard and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Don sewed the headliner. He doesn't like the off the shelf stuff either.

olscrounger and lothiandon1940 like this.
  23. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

2.5" pleats, had a gray tweed int from the 80's when I bought it. original brown mohair covers were under the gray 5-9-08e.JPG Jan 29,2013e.JPG

24. davidh73750

davidh73750

How many yards to cover bench seats in a sedan? 8 for the front 6 for the back, less material needed since its facing back.. door panels another 8? Thank you.