Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need a recommendation for someone to polish quick change

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by roll of the dices, Jan 25, 2021.

1. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Care to share the name of the guy? I'm going to be needing some chrome work in SoCal in the future. Thanks.

Kan Kustom and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Takes all the fun out of it, not knowing if you can get it done without the wife finding out. :D

3. fordpatina

fordpatina

Great work decent prices

Attached Files:

4. alchemy

alchemy

Polishing an aluminum quickchange is the hardest car part there is. Anybody who hires a $160 job should be prepared for disappointment. If you do get good results I bet it will be the last time, cause the polisher will realize the job he just ate and will be raising his prices.

And, if you found a lacquer thinner bath to give your polished aluminum a haze, it's probably just because it cleaned all the compound off completely. The part maybe wasn't perfectly buffed. I've done it a million times and it's a great way to find areas that I need to hit again.

5. Tetanus

Tetanus

at work we send our die cast die cavity's to ultra polishing in IL. Everything they have done has been perfect but no idea of cost.

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

alchemy,

I have seen that also. Somehow the buffing compound hides the minor surface imperfections. You clean it and it looks hazy. Buff it again and it shines like it should.

I like satin finish on my own stuff.

7. dln1949

dln1949

Look up J Fishbeck at "Big Valley Hot Rods" he is on the lamb, did the article on Stan Back, the Bonniville Car. Does polishing among other things. Pretty close to you, in the IE.

8. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Practically puts itself together. Those are words I would like to see in all assembly manuals ! :)

5window likes this.
  9. You be the judge! :)
    I am very happy with outcome, I don't have any previous experience so nothing that I can compare it to.
    It looks very clean all around. I am painting the rear tubes now, so it won't see final assembly for a while.

As I might mentioned before, the same person that does the polishing for Speedway Engineering is the same person who did mine. He told me a week and delivered right on time
    I ended up paying $180 for it.

Thank you all for your help and feedback.

thumbnail_IMG_1358.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1359.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1360.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1361.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1362.jpg thumbnail_IMG_1363.jpg

10. What would I know, I’ve only done It for twenty years, thousands of parts, professionally for 10 of those years, I would not recommend touching anything shiny with lacquer thinner but whatever works for you. I’m unsure how it will be shiny then after the compound is cleaned off it’s hazy? Makes zero sense to me.

I use varsol to clean any excess compound off but realistically there should be very little, after the varsol it’s hazy from the compound on the part a soft cloth with some white flour and it’s a mirror finish.

On of many....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  11. Wanted to thank everyone that shared their info and helped me.
    QC is back and I am very happy with outcome.
    In case someone else looks for this info....Astro Plating in North Hollywood did the polishing and Speedway Engineering took it apart and put it back together for me. I did the painting myself...not bad for a first timer.
    Thank you

thumbnail_IMG_7207.jpg thumbnail_IMG_7208.jpg

Max Gearhead and loudbang like this.