Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Dating Tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparbrothers, Feb 27, 2021.

1. moparbrothers

moparbrothers

Hello,

My old bias ply tires finally are going to get replaced after 2 went flat over the winter months.

I have been driving on them for about 10,000 miles. They were on the car when I pulled it from the old barn. And have no idea how old the tires are. They are old Allstate Tires. Did tires this old come with date codes? This was stamped on the side wall LP2449

The car is a 1950. Just curious on how old these old jewels are before I put a set of radial diamond backs on them. FCC141A9-68E6-43D6-A427-1EF8883AE2AF.jpeg 53148FF1-2D24-40CF-B7EA-D19782190303.jpeg 253BABE7-855F-4096-A119-4F9CAFD4DAA6.jpeg

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I prefer girls!

Seriously, I do not know when tire date codes started, but if yours has one it would be the 2449 , number, as it is “ changeable” .

Bones

3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Likely mid 1960s.

Stogy likes this.
  4. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

5. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

They got a DOT mark. Means 1966 or later. Not hamb friendly. Might as well get new tires. Jack E/NJ

anthony myrick and Stogy like this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

Tire be old. Sidewall cracks are never a good thing to try and drive on.
    Could be you’re just curious as to how long they lasted?

5window and Stogy like this.
  7. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Just to be clear, old cracked rubber is not good on any date.

Joking aside, those have had a long life. Should probably have been retired (pun intended) quite some time ago.

8. Always good to find out their age before you start dating....:)

Happydaze, scotts52, Hnstray and 14 others like this.
  9. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Just pull a Burt Monro, and shoe polish the sidewalls. Afterall, he went way faster than any of us have a right to be driving on the street.

Seriously, those tires are history...

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

- Yikes!

11. 55blacktie

55blacktie

12. 55blacktie

55blacktie

Dave G, wonder how many people need to look up Burt Munro. Hint: He didn't play the mandolin.

13. squirrel

squirrel

449 is the three digit version of the date code, as noted it is from before the year 2000. So it could be the 44th week of 1979, 89, or 99.

Since they're bias ply, you're probably ok to keep driving on them if they don't show any swelling or significant cracks...but yeah, might be a good idea to get new tires one of these days.

I'd stick with bias ply, if you can afford it and the ride is ok.

14. grumpy65

grumpy65

Tires, brakes, steering and suspension. The things between you and your maker.................:eek::eek::eek:

15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Dim lights , soft music. Just be yourself!

16. moparbrothers

moparbrothers

As stated in my post above. I will be purchasing a set wide white radials. Looking forward to seeing how they preform

AHotRod likes this.
  17. Budget36

Budget36

So you'd run them on that little Chevy you have?

18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When dating tires tread carefully...;)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  19. squirrel

squirrel

No, but I'd run them on the car they're on. I doubt it gets up to 130 mph.

20. 5window

5window

You can tell the tires are really old because they say "Made in USA". :)

21. I was ready to buy these Coker red lines with titties still on them at $50 each...until he sent me the date code photo, they were made in 2009, so a new 12 year old tire.
    You can't judge a tire by it's looks sometimes.

00h0h_iWZbDGRzmQ9_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg 00z0z_amdxGzsVBjM_0lM0t2_600x450.jpg

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bia Plys are not Radials therefore rated differently, radials are a BIG deal after 6 years used or not...

That is not to say they being both shouldn't be absolutely scrutinized...

He didn't show the tread...that tells a story too regarding pass...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Jibs and Elcohaulic like this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

those Coker red lines are radials, aren't they? I would not use them.

Stogy, Moriarity and Bandit Billy like this.
  24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Radials or not, I wouldn't run Cokers.

25. Some of you guys sure are wound up tight, probably have a closet full of pitchforks and torches at the ready !
    The post was about checking date codes, regardless of the type of the tire even if the tires look new, but of course you couldn't possibly see that for your own nose being in the way. Hopefully you don't have radials on your daily drivers or you're going to have to stick your own ass with your pitchforks.

RMR&C likes this.
  26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Tried dating tires for a while, just too tiring...

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I replace my radials after 6 years. I'm glad you passed on them...the unfortunate reality is someone will be unaware or not caring of well documented details on such tires will purchase and use them and hopefully no one gets taken out should the worst happen...especially if that happens to be someone outside of the radius of the one who made such a risky decision...Rollers no problems of course...

Bias Plys have different characteristics...combine this with changes over the years with the Coker Company they do have some isolated quality issues that are well documented in numerous Threads add nauseam like ALL tires...but the Bias Plys again don't share the Radial guidelines for replacement due to their construction, materials and the presence of DOM information.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  28. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I have a set that are older than those red lines. Correct Michelin tire for my OT LBC and I intend to use them for a once a year show about six miles from home. I'll drive there and back at thirty miles per hour. I think I'll be OK. The tires were kept in a cool, dark place for the whole time after they were bought new.

I'm quite curious about radial degradation. I know all about the study based out of Phoenix AZ but up in in Vancouver I'm positive that their data doesn't apply. Does anyone know of a study done out of Seattle or Portland OR. I'm suspecting the whole six year thing is brought on by the legal dept. of the various tire companies being overly cautious and encouraged by the sales dept. we don't seem to have any tire blowout accidents reported in the media. Maybe I'll have to contact our provincial insurance corp. for more details.

I've really enjoyed the humour in this thread...

HemiDeuce, Flat Six Fix and Stogy like this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

Even in Arizona, old steel belted radials will come apart while sitting inside a dark garage....btdt.

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The way I understand it is the rubber ends up letting go of the steel belts in a Radial tire. Bias plies do not have steel so they do not suffer from the same problems. Radials in my opinion just plain look wrong on a traditionally styled car and you couldn't pay me to run em. I don't understand all the Coker bashing. I have Coker bias plies on 6 cars and every single one of them drives as smooth as a gravy sandwich at 70 mph and balanced with very little weight. Some of the cars are on their second and third sets and never a single problem. Am I the only one??